• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Daily Shop Improvement

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Since we're all home for the forced time off - I'm going to try to make one shop improvement every day. Please feel free to post your own good ideas too.

I already posted about the band saw out feed fence. But I have another one which is easy to post. I made a simple wrench holder for the drawer since the ones at PA are simply ridiculously priced. A quick sketch in Fusion and I printed up a few of them.

Attachments

• D5FC4BDB-3A43-46C1-88FE-44DE58BFD29A.jpeg
    D5FC4BDB-3A43-46C1-88FE-44DE58BFD29A.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 0

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Those look great.
I was just think tonight that I need something to stop my wrenches from sliding around in the drawer (despite the non-slip mat)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
ER fixture for tightening collets (this one is er40).

5532ca86aae0552fe780bee1350077ef.jpg

4337e57752508f0699bf0c8b70cca7a2.jpg

Now I can get the torque required

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Mill scale removal tub. See plastic rings as spacers. Wash down water sprayer. Filthy job. Wear gloves.

Attachments

• E38191D0-DC90-4863-8600-886A589D47BD.jpeg
    E38191D0-DC90-4863-8600-886A589D47BD.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 0

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
7.5% vinegar the strongest I could locate easily. Pickling vinegar. I see Home Depot in the states has 30% but not here.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Brenntag Calgary is supposed to supply it in concentrations from 25% to glacial. Their phone number is (403) 263-8660. They didn't pick up the phone today (friday off?) but I assume their smallest size would be 5 gal or 20 gal carboy sized.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
7.5% vinegar the strongest I could locate easily. Pickling vinegar. I see Home Depot in the states has 30% but not here.

@Janger could you be more specific with the use of vinegar. I assume you don't mix it with anything just vinegar. The spacers hold the item off the bottom of the soak tub. No serious scrubbing required??? For how long like hours or over night etc. What kind of gloves??? Do you rinse the item down with water or let it air dry???

To play safe I would like to try this method although not without additional details.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Hey Bill
Yeah it’s easy but messy. I’m wearing latex gloves as the mill scale turns into a black very messy liquid mess on the steel. It really stains hands. No fumes though I assume it’s safe. It smells well like vinegar! I’ve been leaving it in the tub for over night / pull it out scrub down with steel wool. Rinse with water & Wipe it down and the rags go black. I’m not sure I’d do this in a sink as it might stain. I’m just making a mess with sprayer and dripping on the garage floor. Then back in the tub. I’ll post a picture. There is more over in the sander thread. https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/sanders.1604/post-22563

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Brenntag Calgary is supposed to supply it in concentrations from 25% to glacial. Their phone number is (403) 263-8660. They didn't pick up the phone today (friday off?) but I assume their smallest size would be 5 gal or 20 gal carboy sized.

yeah I was surprised to learn today is a holiday!? :rolleyes:o_O Nobody I’m emailing is answering!

Thanks for the idea. @Dabbler the Brenntag web site says below. So what is a tote? A drum?

BUY ACETIC ACID
We sell the following various grades of acetic acid in drums, totes, and bulk quantities:

Acetic acid 25%
Acetic acid 56%
Acetic acid 70%
Acetic acid 80%
Acetic acid 84%
Acetic acid 85%
Acetic acid glacial

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Ah I would call that a cube or M3 cubic meter. A drum is apparently 55 gallon drum (200litres). Well I guess I’m not sure I want 200 litres of strong vinegar. Unless there are ten guys in Calgary who want 20 litres each?

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
John, depending on cost, I can store a drum out here , or a tote, provided it can reside outside (freezing?)

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Hey Bill
Yeah it’s easy but messy. I’m wearing latex gloves as the mill scale turns into a black very messy liquid mess on the steel. It really stains hands. No fumes though I assume it’s safe. It smells well like vinegar! I’ve been leaving it in the tub for over night / pull it out scrub down with steel wool. Rinse with water & Wipe it down and the rags go black. I’m not sure I’d do this in a sink as it might stain. I’m just making a mess with sprayer and dripping on the garage floor. Then back in the tub. I’ll post a picture. There is more over in the sander thread. https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/sanders.1604/post-22563

What does it look like after it’s done and cleaned up?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Like this. That’s a piece of 3/8 flat bar with the usual mil l scale. to show the colour difference. That’s after about 48 hours in the tub. I scrubbed it down twice with a 3M pad and steel wool. Then cleaned up with some rags and purple super clean cleaner spray.

F4F57D2D-7B39-4829-A9FC-E313A8DB88BA.jpeg

here I am rinsing it off with just some water after scrubbing to loosen it more. I call that good.

Attachments

• 798A76E4-66B1-406E-A48F-E2FF260D383F.jpeg
    798A76E4-66B1-406E-A48F-E2FF260D383F.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 0

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
EB3E4575-95E2-4F3D-8E7B-F057E2E7C273.jpeg 05CC279B-09F8-45CC-B79C-97DAB0313A95.jpeg
Took me longer to scrounge the bits of pipe than to actually install it. All it had before was the pipe plug, made it really messy to change the oil.

Also 8 point sockets or square sockets are the cats meow for working with them.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Today I ordered a bunch of air fittings to improve my air lines and stuff. They are on sale at PA today. Free shipping!