• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Daily Shop Improvement

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Ah! a blue boy! That a 250 or 125?
It's a 2000 125. I bought it for cheap because the owner said it needed a top-end job. When I saw it it wouldn't kick over so I knew it was more serious.
I have powdercoated the frame to as close to factory colour as possible, new bearings throughout. New OEM crank and rod and cylinder which was my eBay score of the year, and a Vertex piston. Rebuilt the rear shock and went through the forks. I swapped out the original rear brake setup with the remote master cylinder for a later unit that has the integrated master cylinder.
On reassembling the engine I discovered that one of the internal webs was cracked so I sourced a new case. Now I just have to get my shop back together so I can reassemble it. I don't plan on keeping it as I have another bike resto waiting in the wings, a 1988 Honda Hawk.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Sounds a lot like the build list of my roommates ‘05 250 except it was a runner that lost shifting onto first and fifth. And Has black factory frame, great bikes, always command the highest resale and are coveted by many. Fun if you are a crazed madman like myself but flying is not my favoured pastime and that’s what a YZ does best, in my case, trees stand still. Looks great!! Very sharp.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Another wall sheeted and painted tonight. Was 30 degrees inside when I started. Buckets I tell you, buckets. Drank two litres of water during the thrash.
393d399677e8c66baf8c1b1987cc4efb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Yeah but look at your results. Don’t be sad when all that beautiful work is hidden by machines.

Thanks Pete, I’m getting closer and closer to having it be usable again.
Happy days!

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
And If your garage door faces south like mine check out the thread from me on cheap shade cloth from Home Depot. Wish I had bought some earlier. It allows me to keep my door open in the summer and cuts down on the sun by 60 percent. Huge difference in temperature.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks Pete, that’s good advice.
The overheads face north but at this time of year I get a lot of afternoon sun on the West side so I may put an awning over my west side window.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks @DPittman and @Janger
In another forum I was questioned re my choice because of plywood's lack of fire resistance vs. fire resistant OSB or fireguard drywall.

My thinking is that fire risk comes from sparks hitting piles of dust and flammable debris such as sawdust.
I only TIG and MIG (no flux core or stick) so there's very little sparks. Any grinding is in a dedicated area that I keep very clean or I prop up barriers to contain sparks.

IMHO the possibility of a solid sheet of plywood catching fire from a shower of sparks from grinder or MIG is very small. I agree that there's fire risk with open flame and wood interiors but that's never my situation. All of my spark-producing work is pretty short duration.

My space has an 8ft high flat roof and has open roof rafters. Any fire that starts is going upward and then it's all over. But this is my opinion and I feel comfortable with these choices.

If I regularly used open flame in my shop I would have used something different.

Last edited:

Tom O

Ultra Member
We have OBS in ours with drywall on the ceiling it holds the heat well in the winter months and for the summer we have a inline exhaust fan (Amazon) controlled by a temp control (PA) where you can set the on off temperatures for max heat or cold start temperature it’s plumbed to a roof vent we put in.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
We have OBS in ours with drywall on the ceiling it holds the heat well in the winter months and for the summer we have a inline exhaust fan (Amazon) controlled by a temp control (PA) where you can set the on off temperatures for max heat or cold start temperature it’s plumbed to a roof vent we put in.
I'm considering adding a fan but I'll need to vent out the side. I was wondering about a temp controlled switch. PA = Princess Auto?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
More progress tonight.
Last night I cut near 2 ft off the right end of my bench.
Hung my parts bin rack and a wall cabinet. Not sure about the cabinet to be honest. But at least I can see the floor now.
The tablesaw and upright bandsaw will go against the wall to the right of the bench. Trying to get some separation between wood and metal tools.
471257719902f64dd3dcf980bec20817.jpg

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
More progress tonight.
Last night I cut near 2 ft off the right end of my bench.
Hung my parts bin rack and a wall cabinet. Not sure about the cabinet to be honest. But at least I can see the floor now.
The tablesaw and upright bandsaw will go against the wall to the right of the bench. Trying to get some separation between wood and metal tools.
471257719902f64dd3dcf980bec20817.jpg

Which bench did you cut 2' off? I see 3, maybe 4 benches. I like your lathe bench, looks nice and solid.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Which bench did you cut 2' off? I see 3, maybe 4 benches. I like your lathe bench, looks nice and solid.

Thanks , the lathe bench has an interesting background. The top is part of an old fir beam from Safeway store that was torn down in Vancouver.

I took the end off the big grey bench with all the drawers in the middle of the photo.
I have a dozen 22” full extension 100lb capacity drawer slides that I’m eventually going to turn into a new bench. That one is falling apart but it came with the garage.

Last edited: