• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Daily Shop Improvement

Brent H

Ultra Member
@David_R8 : yes totally. It is also on hinges so I can swing it out of the way (once I move the opener (oops)). But it moved my car mechanic type tools closer to where I use them and on the other side is my parts washer and the big tool grinder I bought (hence the opening wall). For the most part the wall will just be there (99% of the time).

The garage is split 60/40 so my wife has the 60% for the car and her school stuff and I have 40%, but also the shop and the wee barn etc but that is off set by the basement etc. as far as “sharing goes” LOL.

I can shoot you a panorama of the main shop if you are interested.

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
@Hruul - yes. The “barn” is an 8x10 footprint with a 13 x 8 roof. Trusses all have a 2x6 bottom. Door will open in the front for longer piece access
Hmm, interesting, thanks. I may have to use something similar when I replace my backyard shed.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Hmm, interesting, thanks. I may have to use something similar when I replace my backyard shed.
Being under 6’ i put a shelf at 6’5” all the way around and put in a removable section leaving a space large enough to pass a Rubbermaid tote up. Full 8’ studs for the walls because a short shed is like a small lathe

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@David_R8 : yes totally. It is also on hinges so I can swing it out of the way (once I move the opener (oops)). But it moved my car mechanic type tools closer to where I use them and on the other side is my parts washer and the big tool grinder I bought (hence the opening wall). For the most part the wall will just be there (99% of the time).

The garage is split 60/40 so my wife has the 60% for the car and her school stuff and I have 40%, but also the shop and the wee barn etc but that is off set by the basement etc. as far as “sharing goes” LOL.

I can shoot you a panorama of the main shop if you are interested.

Gotcha.
A panorama shot would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
If I ever own/build a shop it’s getting a sea can or a compressor room off the back. Somewhere to house the compressor and all the tools you rarely use. Something to isolate the compressor noise from the shop workspace. I’d also have a separate office

My uncle has one with a small apartment on the mezzanine, it’s pretty trick. Looks like a shop from the outside but a 1 bedroom one bath with kitchen is hidden in there.

Lots to dream about.

If I REALLY wanted to dream I’d have a 40’x80’ shop with two floors, 16’ ceilings in the bottom floor with 8’ ceilings in the second floor :D

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
More progress over the long weekend.
078511954572be18bbf9325e75a3dbe2.jpg

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Looks like a great working space, neat and tidy and well thought out.
Thanks, it's coming along. So much better now that I don't have to move a big whack of stuff to get to the bench or move around inside.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
If you find the door opener getting in the way try one of these
https://www.liftmaster.com/8500-wall-mount-garage-door-openers/p/8500
I put one in a while back and the extra height is great when swinging around taller stuff.

Interesting idea.
I thought about switching to a roll up door but they are expensive.
The only challenge is that I have minimal space on the side of my track.
It would all depend on the width of the unit.
@YotaBota who did you get the unit from? Can I ask the ballpark price?

Last edited:

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Here is the link
https://overheaddoorparts.ca/collec...ducts/liftmaster-8500c?variant=29442761850966
I also bought the battery backup s I'm out west of Sooke as power outages are common and it works well.
The manual says you need 8" of room from the wall to the end of the pipe. There is a collar that attaches to the drive unit and the end of the pipe and just spins the pipe to raise/lower the door.
I looked into the roll ups as well but like you they were to much money

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Here is the link
https://overheaddoorparts.ca/collec...ducts/liftmaster-8500c?variant=29442761850966
I also bought the battery backup s I'm out west of Sooke as power outages are common and it works well.
The manual says you need 8" of room from the wall to the end of the pipe. There is a collar that attaches to the drive unit and the end of the pipe and just spins the pipe to raise/lower the door.
I looked into the roll ups as well but like you they were to much money
That's fantastic. Not a bad price really. Especially since it looks like a DIY-possible and there's the possibility to recover some by reselling the old opener.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
DIY is totally doable, I installed mine, it's still on the wall and it passed the cardboard box crush test after all the sensors were adjusted.
I'd have gone with the roll up to get rid of the rails if they weren't so expensive but this is a good compromise.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
DIY is totally doable, I installed mine, it's still on the wall and it passed the cardboard box crush test after all the sensors were adjusted.
I'd have gone with the roll up to get rid of the rails if they weren't so expensive but this is a good compromise.
The rails for my doors are pretty unobtrusive.
One rail for each door is attached directly to the beam that runs down the centre of the space. The other rails are about 9"-10" away from the outside wall. I'll measure to be sure.

I'd love to have access to the ceiling space with the doors open but $1500+ per door for a roll-up is way too steep for me.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
The rails for my doors are pretty unobtrusive.
One rail for each door is attached directly to the beam that runs down the centre of the space. The other rails are about 9"-10" away from the outside wall. I'll measure to be sure.

I'd love to have access to the ceiling space with the doors open but $1500+ per door for a roll-up is way too steep for me.
I grumble every time I have to slide my main shop door open....but it is nice to not have all that junk up there like if I had a garage door.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I grumble every time I have to slide my main shop door open....but it is nice to not have all that junk up there like if I had a garage door.
I totally hear you there. I'd love to have roll-ups but would rather spend the cash on tools :cool:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I spent some time with SketchUp this week and drew out the shop. No stuff in it but this should give folks an idea of what the space looks like.
The lathe and mill are on the wall with the passage door and the workbench is under the window on the long wall.
The walled off area is for the motorcycles.
Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 10.56.32 AM.png