• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Daily Shop Improvement

Janger

(John)
Vendor
Premium Member
@Johnwa found me a PDF of #39. Great stuff in there. I have a zip file containing 207 Model Engineer issues but it's too large to attach. Can you post it if I email it to you?

Craig
If it’s open source yes but no if it’s copyright is still active. I would assume it is still covered by copyright.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
If it’s open source yes but no if it’s copyright is still active. I would assume it is still covered by copyright.

How would you determine that? I'll try and find the web link I downloaded it from.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
How would you determine that? I'll try and find the web link I downloaded it from.
Copyright typically exists for 50 years past the death of the author. In the UK it's 70 years past the death of the author.
So pretty much zero chance that those issues are free from copyright.

Janger

(John)
Vendor
Premium Member
Yeah I don't think we can 'publish' those issues despite them being widely available.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I tend to agree with @Janger.
I will download files that are out there and will share links but I don’t tend to share the files themselves.

Tom O

Ultra Member
On Saturday I went from this:
9eedc0ecbe90436a23f8887a592cab12.jpg

To this:
cab91416eaeea8cafbcb0de30ce988de.jpg

First of three walls wired, sheeted and painted. Two more to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If anyone is doing a ceiling in Calgary I have a lift they can borrow.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Drywall lift?? Just grab a buddy and a couple two steps :p

One of the few times I won’t wear a hat while working is hanging ceiling board

Tom O

Ultra Member
It was the garage for me but who knows I might do something in the basement my Son has taken over a room for his English Wheel and sheet metal stuff.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Yeah I don't think we can 'publish' those issues despite them being widely available.
I was told by a patent/copy write lawyer that something that has been published and available to the public can be re-published as long as it isn't used for monetary gain in any way...this site is free & has no paid advertising so anything out in public domain should be ok...according to him.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
published and available

@historicalarms the legal situation is far from that simple. Small portions can be used under 'fair use' if used for commentary or other value add. Redistribution of any copyrighted material in whole or substantive part is very definitely illegal.

In Canada telling someone where they can find the material (legal or not) is legal. Sending them a copy, however or hoisting it on a website is on the wrong side of the law.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
The PDF is hosted on a website that hosts other documents and clearly adheres to copyright laws. Most likely the copyright owner simply did not bother to claim his copyright and bring the work down.

What the lawyer talks about is releasing it to public domain - i.e. you keep copyright but it can be freely distributed - best example is open source software - it is free to use and free to distribute (over simplified here) but you cannot charge $ for it - it comes with a license that tells you what you can do with it.