• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Daily Shop Improvement

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Thanks @DPittman and @Janger
In another forum I was questioned re the my choice because of the plywood's lack of fire resistance vs. fire resistant OSB or fireguard drywall.

Not sure if there is empirical data to back it up, but I have heard that during spark tests the issue of material is less important than the joints. For example, if you shoot sparks at OSB, pressboard, drywall, plywood, etc., the risk is minimal. It's when the sparks get in between the joints, or the gaps at the top and base of the material where they encounter sawdust, vapour barrier, insulation, dust, etc., that is problematic. This stuff can be flammable and fires can smoulder for a while before igniting. Once the fire starts, the choice of material is more important (but too late to change).

Ideally, we'd only weld and grind in cinder block commercial shops. But the same can be said of cooking in your own kitchen vs. a commercial one. At some point you need to be practical and tolerate some risk. Sealing the joints in any wall is a good idea. Keeping the shop clean is another way (I try to do a regular big clean in my shop, including vacuuming the joints and gaps—which you should do before moving your tools and machines in anyway).

If I were to do it over again I'd stagger concrete backer board on drywall, both with sealed joints. Having said that, your plywood approach has a distinct advantage in a shop my solution wouldn't be good for: the plywood provides a convenient and solid background for hanging tools, attaching fixtures, shelving, etc. I'm willing to bet a lot accidents can be avoided in a crowded shop if it were just easier to attach things to the wall. So you get marks for that David. My heavy shelves are stud located obviously; but there are lots of places in the shop I would have liked to hang things, but didn't because there was no stud.

I think you're going to enjoy your new space. In my experience fire departments are impressed as heck when a homeowner has a fire extinguisher anywhere in their home. So you're already ahead of the pack.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks @CalgaryPT, I tried very hard to minimize any gaps and for the most part was successful as no gap is more than a 1/32". I ran the sheets vertically so that I would take advantage of the factory edges which were remarkably straight.

I actually have two 10 lb ABC extinguishers, one on the central post and one by the entry door. Nothing is plugged in unless I'm in the shop.

The ply is definitely a plus for ease of hanging brackets etc for light weight items. Heavy things need the added security of stud mounting. For example, the blue bin rack is stud mounted down the length of one side as its weight is considerable when fully loaded.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I'm having my own issues with a combined wood/metal shop. I've got curtains around my lathe and mill trying keep the swarf in and covers on the lathe and mill to try and keep the saw dust out. I had to cut a pressboard and mactac table top (1 1/4 thick) with the skil saw and the dust is everywhere. Ya, I know, should have taken it outside. On a positive note I can now see all the cobwebs.:rolleyes:
You shop is really taking shape, it makes the hobby so much better when you have a place you want to work in.

francist

Super User
I don’t do a lot of hard grinding in my shop nor a huge amount of welding, but when I do I have a smallish area that I curtain-off using 20 mil vinyl that hangs from some steel angle on the ceiling. I just use 1” rare earth magnets to hang the curtains (hence the use of the 1” angle) so when I don’t need them they’re just rolled up in a corner somewhere. Any obvious joints in either the ceiling (painted plywood panels) or adjoining wood members are taped over using foil HVAC tape. The stuff sticks to everything, is obviously heat resistant, and is pretty neat. The only down side is you end up with shiny foil stripes all around but that doesn’t really bother me — helps with light reflection ;)

-frank

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm having my own issues with a combined wood/metal shop. I've got curtains around my lathe and mill trying keep the swarf in and covers on the lathe and mill to try and keep the saw dust out. I had to cut a pressboard and mactac table top (1 1/4 thick) with the skil saw and the dust is everywhere. Ya, I know, should have taken it outside. On a positive note I can now see all the cobwebs.:rolleyes:
You shop is really taking shape, it makes the hobby so much better when you have a place you want to work in.

Thanks!
It’s definitely coming together. At this point I feel like I have moved everything at least six times. The big pieces are making way to their homes.

Tonight I hung cabinets and moved the tablesaw and jointer to their new homes.
18acf6bb76d1f09f21f36e5df187932c.jpg

The engine hoist is where it’s going to be stored.
cfbe809daad01ad932182501ff4bb5b9.jpg

The blue motorcycle is going behind the wall that’s going in behind the black tool box. Building that wall is next on the to-do list.
6918053624de17f05477de57ec4358f4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Thanks!
It’s definitely coming together. At this point I feel like I have moved everything at least six times. The big pieces are making way to their homes.

Tonight I hung cabinets and moved the tablesaw and jointer to their new homes.
18acf6bb76d1f09f21f36e5df187932c.jpg

The engine hoist is where it’s going to be stored.
cfbe809daad01ad932182501ff4bb5b9.jpg

The blue motorcycle is going behind the wall that’s going in behind the black tool box. Building that wall is next on the to-do list.
6918053624de17f05477de57ec4358f4.jpg

How do you like the Husky box?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
How do you like the Husky box?

Generally I like it. I bought it used for $200. The casters were absolutely locked up so it wouldn’t turn. I had to give them a thorough clean and lube before it was movable in anything other than a drunken circle.

Chicken lights

Generally I like it. I bought it used for $200. The casters were absolutely locked up so it wouldn’t turn. I had to give them a thorough clean and lube before it was movable in anything other than a drunken circle.

No grease fitting?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
No grease fitting?

Not that I found.
I think what happened was that it sat in one spot and the ball bearings in the swivel races just seized up. They would swivel without weight but as soon as any weight was applied the just stuck in one direction.
I literally had to kick them to make them go straight when I first unloaded it.

Chicken lights

Not that I found.
I think what happened was that it sat in one spot and the ball bearings in the swivel races just seized up. They would swivel without weight but as soon as any weight was applied the just stuck in one direction.
I literally had to kick them to make them go straight when I first unloaded it.

Ugh that’s annoying

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Ugh that’s annoying

Yup.
I don’t move it much though that may change given that I actually have space.
Ideally I’d like casters that switch from swiveling to fixed. I have no idea if such a thing exists.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yup.
I don’t move it much though that may change given that I actually have space.
Ideally I’d like casters that switch from swiveling to fixed. I have no idea if such a thing exists.

I dont know either if they exist but I would be surprised if they didn't.....however I think having swivel casters on one end and non swiveling on the other end is a good combination.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
More progress tonight.
Finally got the two motorcycles side by side where they belong.
581054ea0d59bab5af6ed16db893caa8.jpg

Brent H

Ultra Member
So the lawn mower and gas cans and other “bombs” in the garage where I weld and grind and such had to move. I have a 700 square foot shop for other stuff like machining and wood working:

F0F7C2AC-EE00-49F5-80BF-00DDFA27188D.jpeg
So the lawn stuff cannot go there. Decided to build a wee barn beside the big shop:

3E24E6A7-5656-43B0-BB47-55F8A2C42818.jpeg
Building the roof on the ground and will lift into place with the neighbours fork truck And a few other - get it there things

14D335A0-7BD5-424C-A92E-A464A1C647D8.jpeg
Weather has been great and things going fast .

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Hruul - yes. The “barn” is an 8x10 footprint with a 13 x 8 roof. Trusses all have a 2x6 bottom. Door will open in the front for longer piece access