• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Daily Shop Improvement

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member

Just had to share a trick I leaned from Kyle Voss, the guy from Fab Forums I like.

I do a lot of fab'ing and use a lot of cardboard for templates as well. I use to collect used stuff and cut up boxes too until I saw his video (see below). He uses RAM Board—the stuff for putting on hardwood floors when a house is being built. It's great for fabricating because it is stiff, durable, cheap and thin enough it won't offset your measurement like corrugated board will. You can get it at Home Depot, and I always look for a damaged roll, then go to the sales guy and get him to mark it down to half price or less. I read on the Aircraft Spruce forum that airplane and race car guys say you can saturate the stuff in water and it will conform around larger parts. Rumour says it will dry that way, preserving the contours. This would make sense because the glue used in it probably isn't water soluble as construction guys would be tracking wet, dirty boots across it in a new house. But I've never tried this.

It's great stuff, and if you want thicker you can spray with adhesive like 3M Super 66 and layer it. A trick I learned is that if you spray it with PlastiDip and let it dry, you can roll it in a slip roll and it will keep its shape long enough to cut a curved pattern, which is pretty cool. I also use it in my bead roller to test new patterns out before using the metal sheet.

I pre-cut it off the roll and store it flat so it is ready when I need it. Here's Kyle's video:

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
23AFAEEA-1BB6-4D0C-9E4D-64BC4211E100.jpeg 16E9510B-0C5F-4E17-AB2A-7C91E83A1A80.jpeg
Friend of mine has a oxy-acetylene set of torches at my shop. I used them yesterday on a job I needed a little delicacy. So today I changed the hoses and made up a bracket to store them

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I’ve been bashing away at sheeting the interior of my shop.
4f14b8ded7858c70095eac67824fb1b1.jpg

3ae793185eaf5e718bd10a1710c28b05.jpg

ff6b0a10d7f93ea0710ad55d5c35d610.jpg

f95db697c99277f9544282229f47d1c8.jpg

0ccbdc20c56c2c23dffcb81511adc818.jpg

524c7f096d3c96b1a1c2de3fe06c4c8f.jpg

40da93563840966ef79e5e7bc35c77c9.jpg

d8ce02deeaff2a756f4ee6e5303d445b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice. When i built my shop/ garage I did a pretty nice job of finishing it all of with drywall but in hindsight I wish i would have used plywood/ osb sheathing instead, more durable.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I used plywood in my last shop and really liked it. This is going up well. Only messed up cutting the hole for one outlet.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Well I can't say that I envy you after doing ours but it does make a big difference in mine temperature wise we used chipboard and changed out the electrical panel for more breakers.
( cutouts for plugs look like they fit what did you do wrong! lol )

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
( cutouts for plugs look like they fit what did you do wrong! lol )

The sheet with the one I did mess up got used in a different location. I had no idea that I wanted a plug there :D

Last edited:

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
The plywood is a great idea, I find myself putting up plywood to mount stuff to the wall. You're probably going to swear at me but,,,, when I wired my shop I put all the plugs 4' up the wall so I wouldn't need to try and reach down behind a bench or toolbox to get to a plug.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The plywood is a great idea, I find myself putting up plywood to mount stuff to the wall. You're probably going to swear at me but,,,, when I wired my shop I put all the plugs 4' up the wall so I wouldn't need to try and reach down behind a bench or toolbox to get to a plug.

Dag nammit Yota, now you tell me. [emoji16]

Actually those plugs on the white wall are the only ones not high up. The balance are all 50” off the floor.
I have to surface mount ones on the partition wall in the first photo because I didn’t want to drill into the beam.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Godd idea.
I just had a 240 outlet installed and the electrician suggested the outlet be placed about 4ft off the ground. Despite the common sense suggestion I had him place the outlet down low to match the others. This 240 outlet was a surface mount so I wanted the wire down low. If I were to build a new shop I would place all the outlets at the 4ft level.

Last edited:

Brent H

Ultra Member
Yes to 1/2” plywood wall covering, outlets at 44” (same as a kitchen back wall) to accommodate work benches, compressed air line with outlets - I have a filter/drier on the one run and a retractable hose at the far end. I ran that just below upper cabinets with the outlets in between cabinets for access. If you know where your 240 V machines are going you can add outlets as required. I have a centre post and on it is a 120 and 2 x 240 volt outlets for the machines I move around - planer, Edge bander , bandsaw etc.

looking good @David_R8 !

Bradells

(BRad)
Outlets at 4’ to me are a little low ... coming from a carpentry background, you still can’t lean sheet goods on a wall..

I usually go at a minimum 50” to the bottom of an outlet for this reason (MDO/MDF) are 1” oversized too...

Not as easy to cut out as 48”, but not that hard too... just make a jig/template and router it out, easy peasy.

Brad

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Yes to 1/2” plywood wall covering, outlets at 44” (same as a kitchen back wall) to accommodate work benches, compressed air line with outlets - I have a filter/drier on the one run and a retractable hose at the far end. I ran that just below upper cabinets with the outlets in between cabinets for access. If you know where your 240 V machines are going you can add outlets as required. I have a centre post and on it is a 120 and 2 x 240 volt outlets for the machines I move around - planer, Edge bander , bandsaw etc.

looking good @David_R8 !
Thanks @Brent H, it's definitely coming along. I have one wall left to frame in to finish the separate space for the motorcycles.

I also have a centre post that now has a 20A 220 circuit but I am going to move that closer to the overhead door. I'm trying to put as much space as possible between the metalwork and the woodworking areas.

@Bradells I remember reading about MDF being 49" wide so I put my outlets at 50".

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I blame the women,,, I don't see anything wrong with having the motorcycle in the living room and they always want to park their cars in our shops taking up valuable tool space.LOL

Janger

(John)
Vendor
Premium Member
I blame the women,,, I don't see anything wrong with having the motorcycle in the living room and they always want to park their cars in our shops taking up valuable tool space.LOL

Mountain bikes and computers also belong in the living room. :cool: my eccentric uncle had stacks of bankers boxes full of stuff up to the roof in many rooms. He made piles of boxes and put a door on top as desks. It wasn't hoarding exactly...

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I can never cut the outlets out correctly. 3 left to do on the next 2 sheets for my shop.

I managed to almost pull it off but messed one up.
I was strategic in where I put the outlets so that they were near the edges of the sheets or a solid reference point like a door jamb. That way measurements were were short, under 13” in from any edge. I checked wall studs for plumb and the roof joists for level. The joists were dead level so that became had a level roofline that I used as my reference. Each sheet has less than 1/16"gap and some have no gap so I'm pretty pleased.

Last edited: