• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Cross-Slide Leadscrew & Nut

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
According to the bible, I've calculated the dimensions for a 3/4"-5 ACME-4C thread. I have calculator apps for most of this stuff but they only do acme general class tolerances, not centralizing. And 3/4"-5 is not a standard combination that I can find specs on.

If someone can double check my numbers, I'd greatly appreciate it. They look good, but better safe than sorry.

Attachments

• 20240224_084532.jpg
    20240224_084532.jpg
    572.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240224_084447.jpg
    20240224_084447.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Centralizing Acme Thread Dimensions.pdf
    101.7 KB · Views: 3

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My main concern is not in making the screw and nut. That's just general machining practice.

Centralizing acme threads have tighter tolerances than General class threads. The pitch diameter tolerances between the screw and nut are tighter, but also the major diameters of of them as well. If you look at my numbers, if we have the OD of the screw at 0.750", and machine the nut to minimum major diameter, the difference is 0.0009" in diameter. Thats a pretty close slip fit! The problem is going to be securing the nut onto the cross-slide in a way that it doesn't twist or cant. Otherwise it will just bind.

Any suggestions? Painstaking scraping? Floating?

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
The problem is going to be securing the nut onto the cross-slide in a way that it doesn't twist or cant. Otherwise it will just bind.

This is a frequent issue when reconditioning as the relative position of the bearing holding the cross feed screw is now in a different position than the nut.

sorry for inundating with all the photos...... maybe too many but its easy to tell the story that way

A busted nut (careful, this is a family show) on a DSG compound

DSC_4367-large.JPG

Made a new block

DSC_4390-1300x870.JPG

In this case, I machined the existing nut into a cylinder, but it works the same with a new purchased nut

DSC_4386-1300x870.JPG

Assembled everything

DSC_4404-870x1300.JPG

Used a gauge pin to pick up the bore, can't remember why I didn't indicate directly

DSC_4407-870x1300.JPG

bored the block

DSC_4417-870x1300.JPG

loctite the nut in (taking care to align oil holes)

DSC_4425-1300x870.JPG

Done with perfect alignment!

DSC_4441-1300x870.JPG

Slight variation on the theme ..... a Maximat (made a new screw for this one as well). First picked up the bore. Threaded section visible, but I indicated more deeply past the thread

DSC_5825-1300x870.JPG

Mount the crossfeed bracket/mount/whatever you call it, bore and sleeve. With boring head and a longer cross slide you can run out of daylight - just mount it so its hanging over the mill's tabl

DSC_5830-1300x870.JPG

gratuitous shot of screw I made. The ending was done by eye, just carefully and at very slow speed

DSC_6208-1300x870.JPG

'
Last example.....that I could find (mercy they cried!) Another slide variation in approach. A new Z axis I made for my BCA jig borer. Its a T slot platform with precision spindle I made that replace a head with next to impossible to find collets.

Old nut mounted to the slide. There is nothing to pick up but the ID of the nut, so used a tight fitting gauge pin. Seeming like a good idea, but not accurate enough plus I decided I wanted to put a pair of AC's on the axis.

Used the old mount to transfer mounting pin and bolt locations to a piece of steel

20200610_172148-1300x975.jpg

Made a new nut holder

DSC_1429-1300x870.JPG

assembled the Z and indicated in the mounting plate, then drill and reamed the nut holder. I think I turned the nut down or may have bought a new one, same idea though

DSC_1428-1300x870.JPG

20200823_190406-1300x975.jpg
20200827_100149-1300x975.jpg

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My Roton link just reminded me of where I saw the axial threaded ABL nut & flange assembly. At least I think that is the principle being employed - if the flange/nut are rotated relative to one another on the finer thread, it takes up backlash on the main thread.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Pretty good video showing some of the typical leadscrew & nut components encountered on a hobby lathe.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
This is a frequent issue when reconditioning as the relative position of the bearing holding the cross feed screw is now in a different position than the nut.

sorry for inundating with all the photos...... maybe too many but its easy to tell the story that way

A busted nut (careful, this is a family show) on a DSG compound

View attachment 44518

Made a new block

View attachment 44519

In this case, I machined the existing nut into a cylinder, but it works the same with a new purchased nut

View attachment 44520

Assembled everything

View attachment 44521

Used a gauge pin to pick up the bore, can't remember why I didn't indicate directly

View attachment 44522

bored the block

View attachment 44523

loctite the nut in (taking care to align oil holes)

View attachment 44524

Done with perfect alignment!

View attachment 44525

Slight variation on the theme ..... a Maximat (made a new screw for this one as well). First picked up the bore. Threaded section visible, but I indicated more deeply past the thread

View attachment 44526

Mount the crossfeed bracket/mount/whatever you call it, bore and sleeve. With boring head and a longer cross slide you can run out of daylight - just mount it so its hanging over the mill's tabl

View attachment 44527

gratuitous shot of screw I made. The ending was done by eye, just carefully and at very slow speed

View attachment 44528

'
Last example.....that I could find (mercy they cried!) Another slide variation in approach. A new Z axis I made for my BCA jig borer. Its a T slot platform with precision spindle I made that replace a head with next to impossible to find collets.

Old nut mounted to the slide. There is nothing to pick up but the ID of the nut, so used a tight fitting gauge pin. Seeming like a good idea, but not accurate enough plus I decided I wanted to put a pair of AC's on the axis.

Used the old mount to transfer mounting pin and bolt locations to a piece of steel

View attachment 44533

Made a new nut holder

View attachment 44534

assembled the Z and indicated in the mounting plate, then drill and reamed the nut holder. I think I turned the nut down or may have bought a new one, same idea though

View attachment 44535

View attachment 44532
View attachment 44531
Wow!! Thank you. When I made a new nut for my compound I did it in situ and worked perfect.

But, for the crossfeed, having the saddle and cross-slide together might be too tall for my Ex-Cell-O. Plus, taking the saddle off means removing the apron, lead screw, DRO read head (I have the scales on the front side), and, I don't know what else has to come apart. Unless I can prop the apron up on jack stands.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I saw the RR video a long time ago. That is a neat solution, but that pin and the bushings where it meets is taking all the beating in a very small area. Something with a wedge would probably last longer. 20240224_201156.jpg

Last edited:

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
But, for the crossfeed, having the saddle and cross-slide together might be too tall for my Ex-Cell-O. Plus, taking the saddle off means removing the apron, lead screw, DRO read head (I have the scales on the front side), and, I don't know what else has to come apart. Unless I can prop the apron up on jack stands.

Yeah, thats a challenge. Time for a horizontal mill? Not even sure that would fit. I've hung them off the side of the table before on a vertical. If its too big, I'd consider getting it all set up and outsource to someone with a HBM. No shame in that when there's no other way. That or devise some sort of mobile machining approach. To ensure alignment, not sure how else to do it ...... you need to pick up the hole from Part A with A & B assembled, then machine Part B.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yeah, thats a challenge. Time for a horizontal mill? Not even sure that would fit. I've hung them off the side of the table before on a vertical. If its too big, I'd consider getting it all set up and outsource to someone with a HBM. No shame in that when there's no other way. That or devise some sort of mobile machining approach. To ensure alignment, not sure how else to do it ...... you need to pick up the hole from Part A with A & B assembled, then machine Part B.
I was contemplating using my right angle attachment for the milling machine. I was also thinking of doing a line boring set up, but my lathe doesn't have an end bearing for the crossfeed screw so there's no spot to position the other end of the line boring shaft.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Ok, I just removed the cross-feed screw to take measurements so that I can make a new one. Well, it just so happens that the screw is in really good condition and within Centralizing 4C specs, (except for 2 spots near the center, for pitch diameter, and not by much.)

The bronze feed nut is pretty loose and some of the threads inside are damaged.

So, I'm thinking not to make a new screw, and just make a new nut.

I was kinda hoping it was in bad enough shape so I can make a new one, but that would take up so much time for little gain.

But a new bronze nut is a definite go.

Does that sound reasonable?

Attachments

• 20240301_093542.jpg
    20240301_093542.jpg
    534.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240301_093711.jpg
    20240301_093711.jpg
    771.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240301_094540.jpg
    20240301_094540.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240301_094657.jpg
    20240301_094657.jpg
    782.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240301_094854.jpg
    20240301_094854.jpg
    464.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240301_095547.jpg
    20240301_095547.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240301_100751.jpg
    20240301_100751.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240301_102856.jpg
    20240301_102856.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240301_113423.jpg
    20240301_113423.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 12

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
But know I'm second guessing myself. Yes, it might be within spec, but the pitch diameter is different from one end to the other. So if I make a close fitting nut, it might be too tight in some spots.o_O

What to do, what to do?

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Didn't you already grind a nice tool for this job?

Here's how i did one:

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I was contemplating doing it that way, but the screw is still good, so I was thinking of keeping it as a spare.

I think I will make myself a dimensional print of the screw and nut, reassemble everything, and decide what to do over the weekend. (By the time I finish humming and hawing, the thing could have been finished!!)

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
When i made my nut, i tapped it. Being 9/16" and around 1.25" deep it would have been a pain to single point. I then made the screw to fit the nut. I didn't measure it with wires. Just snuck up on the proper fit. My screw was way worse than yours though. You could make a nut and just see how it fits along the length of the old screw, and if its not acceptable, make a new screw section.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
When i made my nut, i tapped it. Being 9/16" and around 1.25" deep it would have been a pain to single point. I then made the screw to fit the nut. I didn't measure it with wires. Just snuck up on the proper fit. My screw was way worse than yours though. You could make a nut and just see how it fits along the length of the old screw, and if its not acceptable, make a new screw section.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. Right now I'm measuring the whole screw.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Does that sound reasonable?

Yes, no way I would make a new screw. Especially if it's really only out in one place. Like that. I would be aware of the placw that it is out and carry on.

But yes, you need a new nut.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I put the crossfeed screw between centers, and using a cutter, located all the edges and using the DRO was able to get all the required distances from the end. Now that I have a "blueprint", I can go ahead and reinstall it back onto the lathe. And determine my next move.

Attachments

• 20240301_141558.jpg
    20240301_141558.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240301_141623.jpg
    20240301_141623.jpg
    516.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240301_150337.jpg
    20240301_150337.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 7