• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Bridgeport 2J

That-Guy

Premium Member
So, I did it AGAIN...... Saw a machine for a good price and decided to drag it home. I seem to find happiness in impulse buying rust.

When I looked at it the spindle was locked, but spun free in neutral, and the ways looked decent from what I could see. 20220903_111027.jpg
20220903_111030.jpg
So I went for it. Whats the worst right. As of this moment, I've got the motor off as well as the top of the head. Brain surgery time I guess. Turns out that the only reason the head was locked up was that the brake was stuck. Got that free and checked the spindle, got .0002" run out on the taper. Back gear works well and every bearing but the one on the vari-drive pulley is in good nic. I did a quick adjustment of the gibs and got it down to .00015" play in the table, I'm sure I can get that better yet. I removed the old DRO and am at the point of putting a parts order to H&W down south of us here. At this point is there anything I should be renewing since I've got it all torn apart? I plan on pulling the table and saddle off the knee and cleaning that all to new. Then paint.

20220901_185852.jpg
20220905_155907.jpg

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice score.

Sounds like you are well on the way to get a good mill into your shop.

I would just continue the tear down and cleaning process. Inspect everything closely. Replace what needs it and re-assemble. Make sure all the lubrication points are in good order and are serviced with the proper lubricants.

That-Guy

Premium Member
So I found my first legit problems other than the bad bearing. The clock spring let go, explains the quill being heavy. I also discovered that the one shot oilers tank is cracked. Going to keep at it when I get a few minutes here and there. Life gets in the way of living some how!
20220909_201526.jpg
I know I'm poking the hornets nest here; but what colour should I paint it? I was thinking a nice AMC metallic blue. (if I tried this on PM I figure I'd get banned! ).

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
So I found my first legit problems other than the bad bearing. The clock spring let go, explains the quill being heavy. I also discovered that the one shot oilers tank is cracked. Going to keep at it when I get a few minutes here and there. Life gets in the way of living some how!
View attachment 26381
I know I'm poking the hornets nest here; but what colour should I paint it? I was thinking a nice AMC metallic blue. (if I tried this on PM I figure I'd get banned! ).
Don’t bother with a metallic paint, unless you plan on washing n waxing it daily.
Besides automotive metallic will cost you a couple hundred per gallon.
An Enamel primer and top coat will work fine.
Sandy Brown or Sky Blue.

Save your cash for tightening the table axis.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
This paint talk is sooooo depressing.

You guys are wasting waaaaay too much time thinking about colour. Paint it hunter orange for all I care!

Then let's get on with important stuff like spending your money on DROs, power XYZ, VFDs, New Motor, collet sets, a 0.0000005 Mitutoyo Micrometers like @Dabbler, Power Drawbar, 300 pound vise, 16 inch rotary table, and of course a wench like the one that @Brent H has.......

That-Guy

Premium Member
This paint talk is sooooo depressing.

You guys are wasting waaaaay too much time thinking about colour. Paint it hunter orange for all I care!

Then let's get on with important stuff like spending your money on DROs, power XYZ, VFDs, New Motor, collet sets, a 0.0000005 Mitutoyo Micrometers like @Dabbler, Power Drawbar, 300 pound vise, 16 inch rotary table, and of course a wench like the one that @Brent H has.......
Fair enough! (why would want a new motor though?) Power draw bar I was thinking to build from a butterfly wrench I've had a million years. Dro.... Well that's a different thread all together. I've got an original Bridgeport vise, going to do for now.

Now power feeds. There is a thought. I love what ca Lem did (YouTube) with the power z motor internal to the knee. Has anyone else messed with this? Would it be possible to do something similar with the xy, I wonder (meaning hidden, I've never liked the power feed assembly hanging off the table)? One thing I am sure of, this machine will not see any cnc, I don't want that.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
One thing I am sure of, this machine will not see any cnc, I don't want that.

I'm with you on that one brother! Notice I didn't even mention CNC!

I was "mostly" just joking on the rest of the stuff. Paint is just soooooo boring. Prolly cuz I hate painting.

I also hear you on the internal power drives. I don't like all that stuff hanging out all over the place either. It just looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I can’t tell if that was a typo, a compliment or both :D

It was NOT a typo - at least not this time. It was very deliberate on my part - this time.

However, it actually is a reference to a typo a year or so ago describing how useful @Brent H's "Wench" was during a heavy Bridgeport machinery move. Of course, they meant to say winch. But there it was..... Brent's wench Bertha doing all the heavy lifting while Brent just stands there admiring her "abilities". It was, and still is, absolutely hilarious! I've never forgotten it and I might as well warn everyone that it will come out regularly.

That-Guy

Premium Member
Did some more disassembly. Found a few little things here and there. The ram did not want to move at all.... had to give it a little poke with the forklift to get it freed up. The XY Nut was hanging on by a thread to the saddle, and the one oil line was long ago disconnected. This post is more of a photo update.

Also a PSA, don't use Mastercrap felt polishing wheels.... dammed thing tried to murder me!

20220910_155810.jpg 20220910_155832.jpg 20220910_205535.jpg 20220910_222807.jpg 20220911_111429.jpg 20220911_115813.jpg 20220911_122623.jpg

That-Guy

Premium Member
It's been a few weeks since I had any spare time. The W word is coming and what not, things need done, honey do list ect. I did manage to give it a good scrub down with hot water and TSP and got some body filler on the worst spots. The primer ended up in three colours, I didn't want to drive to town for more, so I used what I had on hand. Then I finally got some paint on the column. Now I can put the knee back on it and move it into its more permanent home. The next thing on the list will be bearing replacements in the head and some more cleaning. I've also got all the part to rebuild the oilier.

Now on the note of parts; H&W only ship UPS, and for that reason I will not be using them again. UPS tried to charge me 145.38 import charges. So I did the logical thing and self cleared my package, 59$ in Gov Taxes for being alive and all good, right? WRONG. Those jerks over at UPS billed me again for "their service", but this time with a late fee. I did manage to get it sorted out but it took me over 3 hours on the phone. I now hate UPS more than ever, their slogan should be "We'll break it for you, charge you for it and then let you have it a week late". Rant over.

20221009_151741.jpg
This was after Hot water and TSP. Seemed to clean up not too shabby. Scrubbed it all down with some Scotch Brite.

20221009_154529.jpg
Got out my old nemesis and got the worst spots all filled in and sanded. I switched to a NPPA branded body filler after this. That old bondo was a bear to deal with. The NAPA stuff was so nice.
20221010_184145.jpg
Looks like a few trucks around here....

20221015_144349.jpg 20221015_182802.jpg 20221015_182816.jpg
And the Final colour reveal. DONE! Now beer, food, bed.

Attachments

• 20221015_144347.jpg
    20221015_144347.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 4