• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

40" Metal Lathe, $1500, St. Catharines

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Website states " If your order is urgent, please contact us to arrange special delivery."
Hello, yes is this Tony?
Yes it is...
I read on your site that you can arrange special deliveries.
Yes I can.
Well I bought this Willson lathe and I need a special delivery.
OK, what and where to?
Well out of a basement in into my shop. Is that possible?
<click> bzzzzzzzz

trlvn

Ultra Member
@YYCHM : Is that on the UK website? If so, that is the wrong lathe - the one he has the manual for is a willson 71/2 - it is for an older lathe

@David_R8 : If you can access the site can you find a manual for the Elliot-Wilson 7x20 or similar to that - it should look like the one in @Canadium's picture.

Plus if we are moving this baby end of next week I do not have time to wait for a manual to be shipped from overseas - or spend $130 on the wrong one - LOL

I will keep trying - not sure why I am being blocked out?
Sorry, no Elliot-Wilson info on VM. The history page for B. Elliot (Willesden London, England, U.K.) says they acquired Wilson Lathes in 1966 but no manuals have been uploaded to either entry.

Vintage Machinery moved to a new server over the weekend so maybe your system is caching the old address?

Craig

Brent H

Ultra Member
I had a great chat with @Canadium earlier this evening and we are arranging a move for later next week. I have my crew assembling.

Here is some pictures of another lathe - same model a few different angles:

2119212.jpg

2119213.jpg

2119214.jpg

Idea will be to get it off that stand. The stand and the pan look to weigh a significant amount. access is somewhat bizarre through the end doors on the one side and through a removable plate on the other. @Canadium suggests that the lathe may not have been fully attached when it was put back onto the bases. That may help out. Should be able to lift it off with the engine hoist and then MacGyver it up the stairs on a ramp assembly.

Should be great fun!

So I was back again for a few hours today to do some more work stripping the lathe. Finally managed to remove the chuck thanks to Brent's input. Got the rest of the cross slide and apron off. Drained the oil and removed the gearbox. Located and removed a couple more bed bolts. Disconnected wiring between the headstock and the base. I calculated about 420 lbs of parts removed altogether so far and thats not including a couple hundred lbs of tooling and accessories. Whew!!! I think its ready to be moved!

disa2.jpg

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Bravo! Well done:cool:

Can the head stock be separated from the bed now?

What was holding the apron and saddle together?

Bravo! Well done:cool:

Can the head stock be separated from the bed now?

What was holding the apron and saddle together?

I was considering removing the headstock as well but decided against it. Figured it would be too heavy for me to carry to my car. Didn't have my engine crane with me or probably would have. Just have to remove a few gears, banjo and back assembly from the headstock first. Some of those backgears were already removed in order to remove the gearbox. The apron and saddle were being held together by a missed bolt.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I was considering removing the headstock as well but decided against it. Figured it would be too heavy for me to carry to my car. Didn't have my engine crane with me or probably would have. Just have to remove a few gears, banjo and back assembly from the headstock first. Some of those backgears were already removed in order to remove the gearbox. The apron and saddle were being held together by a missed bolt.
Did you scrounge up help yet? When are you hoping to move this?

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Canadium : awesome!!!!! BRAVO and well done sir!!! We can throw that op the stairs now :p

Does the spindle nose look good? Seems too from the picture. Have to keep an eye open for a L00 chuck - 8 or 10"

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

I think waiting for some help now was the wise decision.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I need a mill more than I need another lathe. But now I'm short on money!

Worth a look since you are hanging out there. Deals like that don't come along very often, if it's in decent shape.

Last edited:

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
So I bought the lathe. But God help me I have no idea how I'm going to get it out of his basement and home!

well done. I remember seeing that come up and thinking thats a good deal and someone will do well to get it. I've got an Elliot horizontal and remember a great Elliot shaper from high school (too long ago) and hold the strong impression they are very well made, solid machines