• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

40" Metal Lathe, $1500, St. Catharines

I'm glad you got it. I think this is the first Member Spotted Deals post I've made that someone actually jumped on.

Did you take any pictures while you were there?

I'm hoping to take my camera tomorrow and get some pics.

John Conroy

Premium Member
Congrats on finding what looks to be a fine machine. The pictures on Lathes.uk are not great, Tony would likely appreciate some good pictures once you get it cleaned up and ready to work.

It looks to be pretty beefy so it would be wise to wait until someone with machine moving experience (like BrentH) can lead the removal party.

Congrats on finding what looks to be a fine machine. The pictures on Lathes.uk are not great, Tony would likely appreciate some good pictures once you get it cleaned up and ready to work.

It looks to be pretty beefy so it would be wise to wait until someone with machine moving experience (like BrentH) can lead the removal party.

Its beefy by my standards. I've never moved a machine this heavy before certainly not out of someones basement. Unfortunately it looks like Covid will keep all my friends at home.

So I went back again to try reducing the weight on the lathe and more preparatory work to get the lathe out. Came back frustrated. This lathe is very different than my Southbend 9A and I have a lot to learn about it. For starters I couldn't get the chuck off. I managed to loosen and undo the threads but to my dismay it still did not come off. After some research at home I came to the conclusion it has a keyed L0 spindle. Does any one have any advice for how to get this off?

chuckL0.jpg

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
So I went back again to try reducing the weight on the lathe and more preparatory work to get the lathe out. Came back frustrated. This lathe is very different than my Southbend 9A and I have a lot to learn about it. For starters I couldn't get the chuck off. I managed to loosen and undo the threads but to my dismay it still did not come off. After some research at home I came to the conclusion it has a keyed L0 spindle. Does any one have any advice for how to get this off?

What's left on it at this point? Did you manage to get the apron, saddle and feedbox off of it?

trlvn

Ultra Member
Maybe check your local rental shops for a stair climber lift truck, ala:

Escalera_Motorized_Stair_Climber_With_Winch_Lift_4__33766.1370173340.jpg

The one shown is apparently rated for 1,200 pounds so ought to be capable of handling your lathe. I would guess that you would want to lay that lift down horizontal and put the headstock end down to the forks. If you had some 2X6's under the bed, they could then be secured to the frame of the lift truck. An engine hoist would help to get the lathe off the current stand and onto the truck. Then the hoist could be used to lift the truck back into the vertical position.

BTW, the lift truck weighs about 200 pounds so I hope the stairs are good for the total load!

Craig

What's left on it at this point? Did you manage to get the apron, saddle and feedbox off of it?

Craig, the short answer is no. I was trying to take apart the apron and saddle and got things loose but something somewhere is still holding it together.

Brent H

Ultra Member
You need to loosen off the back nut and then probably need to tap off the chuck with a dead blow if it has been on there for a while

Brent H

Ultra Member
Is anyone on the forum able to access the Vintage Machinery website? I would like to see if they have a copy of the manual for this lathe - The site keeps coming back with a "time out" error for both @Canadium and myself.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@YYCHM : Is that on the UK website? If so, that is the wrong lathe - the one he has the manual for is a willson 71/2 - it is for an older lathe

@David_R8 : If you can access the site can you find a manual for the Elliot-Wilson 7x20 or similar to that - it should look like the one in @Canadium's picture.

Plus if we are moving this baby end of next week I do not have time to wait for a manual to be shipped from overseas - or spend $130 on the wrong one - LOL

I will keep trying - not sure why I am being blocked out?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@YYCHM : Is that on the UK website? If so, that is the wrong lathe - the one he has the manual for is a willson 71/2 - it is for an older lathe

@David_R8 : If you can access the site can you find a manual for the Elliot-Wilson 7x20 or similar to that - it should look like the one in @Canadium's picture.

Plus if we are moving this baby end of next week I do not have time to wait for a manual to be shipped from overseas - or spend $130 on the wrong one - LOL

I’ll call Keith and get him to stop blocking your IP. :D

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

Website states " If your order is urgent, please contact us to arrange special delivery."

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
There is precious little on the site. Basically a MFG write up and two photos of other Willson lathes.