• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

40" Metal Lathe, $1500, St. Catharines

Brent H

Ultra Member
Not a bad deal if all is working. Since it is in the basement you would need to put your @Dabbler shoes on and figure out removal. It is looking a bit beefy so you would need to eat your Wheaties. might be worth a look - @Canadium are you close to this area at all?

Not a bad deal if all is working. Since it is in the basement you would need to put your @Dabbler shoes on and figure out removal. It is looking a bit beefy so you would need to eat your Wheaties. might be worth a look - @Canadium are you close to this area at all?

Yes indeed I am not that far away and I did reply to the ad. I was a bit late though so guessing someone else probably beat me to it. Thanks everyone for your heads up!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
That sure doesn't look like 3' between centers to me? Will be interesting to find out what it actually is.

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
So I bought the lathe. But God help me I have no idea how I'm going to get it out of his basement and home!

Ok, what are the specs, size weight etc etc. Come with any extras.... tooling, 4J?

Are there stairs involved?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
you will need to know the weight to be able to make a plan.

An engine hoist will help disassemble the heavy bits if they are over 150lbs, otherwise a big, strong friend that works for beer is better.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Canadium : I get home on the 14th and may be able to move you on the 17th if you can get the person selling to wait.

In the mean time I would suggest you do a strip down of all the loose gear (tooling, chucks, tailstock etc etc.) Unbolting from the base so it can be moved as two units.

How are the stairs - up and straight out or some beastly corners? Can it be trolleyed and ramped up?

If it is the weekend I may be able to round up my sons and a buddy - any specs on the unit as far as weights?

Congrats!!

Ok, what are the specs, size weight etc etc. Come with any extras.... tooling, 4J?

Are there stairs involved?

distance between centers is about 20 inches, swing probably 14, a ten inch 4 jaw chuck and a smaller 3 jaw chuck, a turret tool mount, loads of dead and live centers, loads of cutting tools. There are stairs with doors to the outside at the top of the stairs. Outside hard surface paved driveway. There is a small window in the basement shop but the owner seemed to prefer I use the stairs. According to internet the weight is about 1500lbs. There is nothing on the lathe I could see which specifies 1N model but its appearance seems to leave no doubt.