40" Metal Lathe, $1500, St. Catharines

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
A happy ending! The lathe is home at my place albeit in a hell of a lot of pieces. Many thanks to Brent and his hard working boys without whom the ending would not have been as good! Thus ends the first chapter of this lathe story and the second chapter of reassembly begins!

That's it, one pic????? How far did you have to strip it down?

Brent H

Ultra Member
@YYCHM - it was an epic event that I will say this: do not install industrial machinery in your basement unless you wish to just leave it when your done or you have a sick sense of humour. Yes, some cannot afford or wish a garage but I have to tell ya -
For the move I welded on a 1800 pound winch to the trailer you see in the pic. My one son ran that while my other boy and I lifted/pulled and cursed the pieces from the basement. Had it been my place I would have cut out the one wall - saving 2 hours - but alas not to happen.
We lifted the lathe from the base and removed 3 studs that were holding it in position. - lowered it with the travel crane. The base contained a 5 HP motor o_O - heavy as all get out- in bolted and took off some electrical. - will email you those pics @Canadium. Owners still had the 2x4 crossing the door so you couldn’t just roll out the base - argh- rotated and flipped sideways out the door and set onto the stairs on a piece of plywood. C’mitchie cranked the winch and Greg and I slipped slided and rocked the base up the stairs. At the top @Canadium got some support into the trailer and we slide the base home.

lathe was next and OH My ..... heavy and no lifting points to speak of. Casting is a combination of a slant base and the flat base. Built for accuracy and long life - head stock is massive.

we Porto craned it to the door of the furnace room and then swung the heavy end onto a trolly rolled it out as far as possible and then put the second trolly in. Greg and I dead lifted the trolly wheels over that cursed door sill and got the lathe lined up with the stairs.

hooked up the winch and Cmitchie started cranking. Dead lifted the headstock up the stairs to clear the casing cover and we were going up. About 3/4 ways we started to get the whole lathe bearing on the steps and the bottom casting part dug in - cursing and sweating like crazy ..... grabbed a 1-1/2 ton chain fall and @Canadium and I ran my tow line under the trailer and we put a second line on the lathe. Chains flying, winch cranking, lathe moving. Put second board across the trailer to span from the house and some blocking under and cranked the lathe onto the trailer while Greg lifted the back end.

cleaned up and put doors back on, moved trailer back to the truck and headed for @Canadium ’s place.
Project start -0800 - arrived at site 1000 hrs. Lathe out and in transit 1400 ish

@Canadium lives close so 40 minutes later we started the unload. Crazy back up and squeezed trailer into his drive. Combination of pallet jack and ports crane and we had the Lathe off and in the shelter in about 1 hour.
Pizza and a quick drink with some chat and we were on the way home. Rained 2 x on the route home but was fine for the move. Very epic indeed!

basement moves - not recommended

Pictures- well, we started to take them but my phone was in the truck - my boys- well, they were pretty busy, @Canadium got the camera out and then had to assist with the chain falls - we needed a photo person but my third lad slept in - LOL.

The lathe is a real beast - beautiful piece of machinery. Once all cleaned up and set to work it should be a joy to use. The parts @Canadium removed are built - they are beefy and definitely this lathe is a production shop go to.

great to meet you @Canadium - so funny the tar and the brush so to speak. I will check on the gears and see if I can make you a set. Thanks for the hospitality- perfect set up you have for such things in the covid times.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Well done all around:) I thought for sure you would have to pull the head stock and move it separately from the bed.

Sounds like it was a full day.

Here you're cursing moving something out of a basement and I'm here cursing moving something into a basement:rolleyes:

Oh Well.... have to work with what you have I guess.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Congrats on the new acquisition, might have been a bit of a nightmare to move but it sounds like a dream machine.:cool:
I don't know if the site has a "Community Service Good Guy" award but Brent H definitely deserves one.

Brent H

Ultra Member
It was a great experience for my boys! Lots of trials, success and ultimately WE DID IT!! Hopefully when covid is over and we can meet up it will be great to shake hands with everyone. Trips also planned out west - great to have people you know!!!

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
You are welcome any time you are near. Congrats and I hope to met you in person one day. Perhaps if we drive to the East coast.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Yep getting set - welded a 1800 lb winch to the trailer, have a skid sheet for the stairs. Multiple items of lifting power - hoping for no rain.

Got some questions here....

What is a Travel Crane?
What does Proto Cranking mean?
Who are C'Micthie and Greg?

There is no winch in any pic that I have found?

Brent H

Ultra Member
Travel crane is one of those portable(ish) 2 ton cranes (engine lift type thing).
- same thing as the Porto or “portable” crane.
C’mitchie is my youngest lad (Carter) Cmitchie is his nick name - Greg is my middle son - HVAC tech - great kids and had some fun today.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@YYCHM - it was an epic event that I will say this: do not install industrial machinery in your basement unless you wish to just leave it when your done or you have a sick sense of humour. Yes, some cannot afford or wish a garage but I have to tell ya -
For the move I welded on a 1800 pound winch to the trailer you see in the pic. <snip>
great to meet you @Canadium - so funny the tar and the brush so to speak. I will check on the gears and see if I can make you a set. Thanks for the hospitality- perfect set up you have for such things in the covid times.

Brent, I don't know youw from Adam, but you're a heck of a guy. Good job!

So here are just a few pics of the many parts. There are so many parts of different shapes and sizes it is impossible to get them all into a few pictures let alone just one picture. I was trying hard to keep things as organized as possible by putting nuts and bolts from different assemblies into separate labelled baggies. Nevertheless I can already see that a few bolts are of unknown origin and some have apparently gone missing. Getting everything back together before I forget how they came apart could be critical!

WEparts1.jpg
WElatheparts2.jpg
WEparts3.jpg
WEmotor.jpg