• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

3D Printer Happened

While I use F360 for almost everything, I installed FreeCAD on a Linux system for access to the Abaqus FEA solver. The Fusion solver is limited to only elastic statics - so no modal analysis, large displacement or plastic deformation.

On the other hand, FreeCAD has a very effective mesh and solver workspace which does all of these calculations and it costs zero beans.

I was initially concerned about performance with a large (8000 node) model - but the solver time for statics was around 6 seconds on a i9 3.8GHz machine!!!!! That is really fast - quicker than F360 solving in the 'cloud'.

I think FreeCAD offers the 'new to cAD' user a very useful and reasonably intuitive platform, and you cant beat the price.

🙂
I'm super impressed by it's capabilities. I just need to use it more to get better.
 
While I use F360 for almost everything, I installed FreeCAD on a Linux system for access to the Abaqus FEA solver. The Fusion solver is limited to only elastic statics - so no modal analysis, large displacement or plastic deformation.
On the other hand, FreeCAD has a very effective mesh and solver workspace which does all of these calculations and it costs zero beans.

Interesting. So you have to have FreeCad running in order to install Abaqus as a plug-in? ie it does install/run as a standalone?
So are you defining material & loads etc entirely within Abaqus module or is there some definitions occurring within FC?
Presumably FC imports common CAD file formats?
If you feel inclined, it would be very cool to see a demo post of some work you did & what sinvolved with the app.

It apparently originates from Dassault, go figure
1784309031909.png
 
Interesting. So you have to have FreeCad running in order to install Abaqus as a plug-in? ie it does install/run as a standalone?
So are you defining material & loads etc entirely within Abaqus module or is there some definitions occurring within FC?
Presumably FC imports common CAD file formats?
I have imported .STEP files from Fusion into FreeCAD, and also created new FreeCAD models before meshing in the FreeCAD MESH workspace, so it plays nicely with other CAD systems.

After the mesh is validated, constraints and loads are added via the FEM workspace. The advantage of Abaqus is that is has a very mature material modelling ability - non-isotropic materials can be described quite easily.

The solver runs within the FreeCAD framework, it is not a standalone application.

It is an advanced GIGO system, so use at your own peril! 🙂
 
I think FreeCAD offers the 'new to cAD' user a very useful and reasonably intuitive platform, and you cant beat the price.

OK, so now I have 3 or 4 CAD packages to evaluate. FreeCAD, Fusion 360, Alibre, and maybe Abacus - whatever that is but mentioned in the same sentence as FEA so....

I sorta like that FreeCAD is affiliated with Dassault (Catia).
 
OK, so now I have 3 or 4 CAD packages to evaluate. FreeCAD, Fusion 360, Alibre, and maybe Abacus - whatever that is but mentioned in the same sentence as FEA so....

I sorta like that FreeCAD is affiliated with Dassault (Catia).

Just to clarify FreeCad is open source CAD, nothing to do with Dassault. Abaqus (FEA app) appears to have been developed by or has lineage to Dassault based on random Google search. Not quite sure how it became available in public domain to be a workbench module to FreeCAD? Usually Dassault specializes in monetizing next weeks air you breath & unleashing its lawyers on any licencing infractions to its product line. Maybe licencing its use or...? Dassault of course runs CATIA & Solidworks & Solidworks Maker & a sh*tswamp known as 3DExperience
 
OK, so now I have 3 or 4 CAD packages to evaluate. FreeCAD, Fusion 360, Alibre, and maybe Abacus - whatever that is but mentioned in the same sentence as FEA so....

I sorta like that FreeCAD is affiliated with Dassault (Catia).
It's all about what works for your brain. The Alibre Atom is not expensive relative to others but way more than free stuff. It can create the STL files for the 3D printer. But if the FreeCAD software works for you just as well then go for it.

Way back in school when we studied user interfaces the research by IBM done in the 60's and early 70's talked about why telephone numbers have 7 digits. Something to do with what people have the ability to retain easily. So the xxx-yyyy was easy. Same thing with Menu's. Microsoft and Apple didn't invent the CUA (Common User Access) with the menu strip and Files on the left and Help on the far right. That was all IBM.
Now due to competition we have the stupid behives and you have to hover to try and figure out what an icon does since nothing makes sense intuitively anymore. Works great for 20 year olds who can memorize but not so much for old farts.
 
OK, so now I have 3 or 4 CAD packages to evaluate. FreeCAD, Fusion 360, Alibre, and maybe Abacus - whatever that is but mentioned in the same sentence as FEA so....

I sorta like that FreeCAD is affiliated with Dassault (Catia).
At this time apart from considering you a very brave man to jump not into 1 CAD program but 4 I sit waiting and wondering if you will go down the rabbit hole. What I can say now that is of advantage compared to the past when I was trying to work with CAM BAM is A.I. In the past I would have to watch a tutorial stop try the program and rewatch looking for something in the video that resembled what I was trying to do. Now I can ask A.I. and be directed with an answer to my question, possibly not getting a correct answer, but I would rather attempt this method than watching a 20 minute video over and over again.

Although I am not opposed to spending $4K+ for a printer, scanner and computer, I want to go into this, this time a bit more educated than when I converted my TOS FN20 to CNC. I had great hopes that were dashed by CAM BAM the CAM part to me is terrible. The Tool Path generator has always worked making the G Code file without issue. Slight edits were easier to do on screen in Mach3 than going back into CAM BAM for me.

So, get at it, I have some money to spend and I need answers.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.
 
Now I can ask A.I. and be directed with an answer to my question, possibly not getting a correct answer, but I would rather attempt this method than watching a 20 minute video over and over again.

I feel your pain Tony. It's so bad that I refuse to do it. I guess it would be ok if the video was focussed on the subject of interest, but usually they are just time wasters aimed primarily at views and time watched for the financial benefit of the video author. Even when they do focus, it seems more like an opportunity to brag or deliberately confuse the viewer than share their insights and knowledge. I'd much rather buy a book and flip to the chapter/pages of interest. Better yet is to ask someone who knows.

it would be nice if he'd get his azz in gear and show us the way

Don't get your hopes up too high Don. You seem to like stuff that makes sense. My brain is broken. My thoughts are like cats that hate to be herded. But I do have both a personal and a community interest in finding a better/easier/faster/affordable way to take my ideas from concepts to 3D parts. Not exactly what Tony needs, and probably not exactly what you want either, but maybe more like a playground filled with activities and ways to play that can make most of us kids happy.

We will see.
 
I think there are “few” people waiting for others to show a “simple”way to get from a drawing to the near perfect finished product that is 3d printed.
The fact that there are/likely many ways to get to the finished product is known, the problem is what works for each person. It’s maybe not that the brain is broken, it is more like being right handed and then loosing all ability to use the right hand and having to learn how to use the left hand to do everything.
My father had a fit, the first few times he seen me cleaning fish on the boat, I am left handed and he right, he was sure I would cut my right hand off holding a fish with it and the knife in the left hand. Finally told him to take a hike and leave me alone, it’s hard to take a hike on a 42ft. boat! It was suggested to use the life boat, and we would return about dinner time to get him, (not quite in those words).
 
So, get at it, I have some money to spend and I need answers.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.
As @DavidR8 stated before there was a falling out between Alibre and Mecsoft and the MecSoft CAM was suddenly removed as AlibreCAM. Not only that they closed down that complete subject on the Mecsoft forum so instantly no help for existing customers.
They did offer a license to VisualCAD/CAM which still uses the same CAM as what was called AlibreCAM. Just isn't embedded and doesn't take native Alibre files.
I really like VisualCAM but don't like VisualCAD. No matter one can use VisualCAM and import STEP files from any of the CAD packages. They have a demo period.
 
Not only that they closed down that complete subject on the Mecsoft forum so instantly no help for existing customers.

This is the kind of crap that scares me silly. I think I'll scratch Alibre off my list of programs to try. I can always come back to it, but BS like this keeps me from even opening the door.
 
This is the kind of crap that scares me silly. I think I'll scratch Alibre off my list of programs to try. I can always come back to it, but BS like this keeps me from even opening the door.
We don't know if it was MecSoft or Alibre that was the cause of the conflict. At least MecSoft provided an option and an extension of the license.

The comment from Alibre at the time was they really just wanted to concentrate on the drawing side and not the machining side. Now years later they have partnered with EazyCAM but I don't think it takes the AlibreCAD files. Can't stand EazyCAM.

But again this is all about CAM not CAD. Since the trial for Alibre ATOM CAD is free it's in your best interest to at least see if the user interface and method of drawing is comfortable for you.

I'm trying out the newer FreeCAD 1.1.1 version right now just to see how it works now.
 
I would definitely not write off Alibre because of what happened with Mecsoft.
Alibre really is a solid product.

Maybe I misread the details. I had the impression that Mechsoft and Alibre had a "falling out" and that caused the partnership to implode leaving users in the lurch.
 
Maybe I misread the details. I had the impression that Mechsoft and Alibre had a "falling out" and that caused the partnership to implode leaving users in the lurch.
I had the opportunity to get a MecSoft license for the CAM. No extra charge. I decided I didn't want to import STEP files for CAM so I've stayed with the older version of AlibreCAD and AlibreCAM. I stayed updated on AlibreCAD until Version 28 but once again, like so many companies, they "enhanced my user experience" and I didn't like it so I didn't renew after that. I'm happy to stay with WIN-10 or even WIN-7 for CAD and CAM. Nothing in WIN-10 or WIN-11 has "enhanced my user experience" and I'm really looking at switching completely to Linux after I retire.
 
The other day my wife asked me to fill the pepper grinder again. It's old. For some unknown reason, compared to when it was new, the grinder part drops further down, the peppercorns get caught in the gap and then the screw at the top is now too low to attached to the threaded ball retainer at the top.

Anyway, normally I just hold it up with my finger while we pour peppercorns in from the top. Kind of clumsy. Then the 3D print inspiration hit me. Something to set the grinder on to hold up the grinder wheel and then just fill it from the top. The threaded rod won't drop.

Out came the calipers, Angle gauge, a bit of AlibreCAD and 3D print. This is the end result.

PepperGrinderStand.jpg

Works like a charm. 45 minutes printing but only 10 minutes CAD.
 
Back
Top