• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tips/Techniques Workshop Organization- things that have made a difference for you

Tips/Techniques
I saw a video where a pvc downspout was cut into short lengths and then wooden bottoms were cut and shoved into the pvc and glued into place. Cheap and fast to make.

Burke Bar is a new term for me. I looked them up. Still made by the Burke Family. They have that curved end built in.

I've always called the straight version a pinch bar,
I have a Burke bar. Bloody useless

I saw a video where a pvc downspout was cut into short lengths and then wooden bottoms were cut and shoved into the pvc and glued into place. Cheap and fast to make.
The guy that did it was Next Level Carpentry on Youtube. I watch too much youtube...

------

I've been absent from this discussion, as my shop has been log-jammed for at least 5 years now... 3 rounds of once-in-a-lifetime deals. (sigh. temptation. I'm a sinner)

The best I can say is that I'm picking away at the problem until I can make enough room to reassemble the machines I want to sell.

I have a Burke bar. Bloody useless

The guy that did it was Next Level Carpentry on Youtube. I watch too much youtube...

------

I've been absent from this discussion, as my shop has been log-jammed for at least 5 years now... 3 rounds of once-in-a-lifetime deals. (sigh. temptation. I'm a sinner)

The best I can say is that I'm picking away at the problem until I can make enough room to reassemble the machines I want to sell.
Well, Don't feel to bad about an unorganized, messy shop anyone. I have spent 3 days this week helping a friend clean out and move what was left in his shop. 12 hour days, along with 4 other guys as well. The owner was in the building 15-20 years. There were a life time of collected antiques, car, parts, steel, truck parts, a small crawler, welding, grinders, equipment, and so on. Shop about 50 ft. wide, maybe 90-100ft. long. A nice auto lift, single cylinder, built in to the floor, didn't know it was there, never seen it! Nearly only a wandering path through the place when I first was in it 3 years ago. 3 large garage doors.
At least he had been selling a lot of stuff, but the sold move by date was today at noon. So 3 trailers, one, a 30ft. end dump for "garbage", 2 40ft. units for moving "stuff", many trips to the new property with the 2 trailers.
Thankfully, a small 2 ton fork lift, and large tracked skid steer with forks, but still a lot of work putting things on pallets, loading, tying down for a 15 mile move.
One way or another, done, done, done. A few tears I think, a lot of indecision, some, but I might need that's, and so on. ITS DONE.

Man, oh man, word has got around abit that I was helping with that move out. Have had 2 others kind of suggest I clean up their shops. They did not even blink when I said that I would maybe take what I liked, that I seen, while doing the cleanup. Steel, machines, '69 charger, chevy pickup with big block, (572??) or whatever them suckers are.
Could be a sideline. NOT, NO WAY.

My shop is taking a sheit kicking right now. Wife wants the project/break room cleaned up for a wedding reception in October. Stuff is coming out of there faster than I can find new homes for it. I'm ok with stuff spread out on all the surfaces, and all across the floor but not 6 layers deep.

Hey John,
If you are still getting ready for your son’s event . . .
Don’t forget the parking for your guests !!

Don’t forget the parking for your guests !!

If you ever visit, you will find that parking is not a problem here. My driveway is 5 miles long and has 12ft wide grass shoulders on both sides for parking. All I have to do is mow it and add signs for speed limit, turtle crossing, bump warnings, poison control zone, no passing, no left turns, squeeze right, slow moving vehicles ahead, deer crossing, school zone, no alcohol, and mile markers.

Turtle & deer crossing ? When was the last time you saw deer out there ?

My father owned a tobacco farm near Port Burwell. It had a LOOK-OUT tower on it from WWII and longtime residents told him it was to keep an eye on the invaders from the South !!

My father owned a tobacco farm near Port Burwell. It had a LOOK-OUT tower on it from WWII and longtime residents told him it was to keep an eye on the invaders from the South !!
No need for a tower - based on the reception we received Northbound from Buffalo about 20 years ago the Border Patrol is doing their best to keep the riff-raff out (but then it may have been the H2 the rental company gave us at no up-charge: worst riding & underpowered vehicle I’ve ever driven).

No need for a tower - based on the reception we received Northbound from Buffalo about 20 years ago the Border Patrol is doing their best to keep the riff-raff out (but then it may have been the H2 the rental company gave us at no up-charge: worst riding & underpowered vehicle I’ve ever driven).
When my cousins came over from the Netherlands in July, they requested a mid-sized vehicle to taxi his elderly mother and aunt around Ontario.
The car rental gave him a 2024 cadillac escalade. My cousin, who is used to European sports cars, said he had to take it easy the first few days because it was like driving a ‘cattle truck’.

When my cousins came over from the Netherlands in July, they requested a mid-sized vehicle to taxi his elderly mother and aunt around Ontario.
The car rental gave him a 2024 cadillac escalade. My cousin, who is used to European sports cars, said he had to take it easy the first few days because it was like driving a ‘cattle truck’.
Having driven in the UK and Italy I can understand his trepidation. However, I mis-spoke: it was an H3, the smaller version with a less powerful engine but still weighing in at over 2 tons.

Luckily . . . Wildlife have ‘instinct’ to guide them.

Not my experience Len....... Deer instincts are based on predator, food, water, & shelter encounters, and they have not yet evolved any instincts that can protect them from vehicles. We have had three collisions with deer in just my family so far and many dozens of close calls. Deer are stupid when it comes to dealing with vehicles.

Back