• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tips/Techniques Workshop Organization- things that have made a difference for you

Tips/Techniques

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
I think I’m probably on major iteration 5+ of workshop organization and slowly I‘m coming to a consensus of “guiding principles” which makes sense for me.

I’m interested in what others have found.

In order of priority, my highest priority first:
1) Everything should have a permanent place.
2) Keep the bench/desk you’re working on clean and dump things on the nearby bench/desk that’s not being used.
3) How my shop feels is important, “frivolous“ things like decorations can make the space feel more like somewhere I want to be.
4) Minimize the use of storage where the front item has to be removed to get to the rear item.
5) Items routinely used at a machine should be stored at that machine if at all possible.
6) General use tools should be in the main area. Occasional use tools should be put in easy access storage.
7) Putting things on wheels generally only makes sense if that tool/bench/desk etc. has a permanent home and it’s only moved to get access to something behind it that’s not used very often.
8) Minimize items such as large tools, which must be moved to use them (In my case a bandsaw and chop saw).
9) Clean up at the end of each task, even it if means getting the same tool out again.
10) Routinely re-home items which have become a low return on investment (With respect to the cost to replace them of course).

By the way, if someone is coming through Winnipeg and wants this…. It’s become a low return on space utilized item…
IMG_8864.jpeg

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Your rule number 1 is my rule number 1, and it trumps everything else, I spent years moving homeless things from one place to another. I recently attached a heater in the garage to a wall with two screws and no wiring just so I don't have to move it 150 (more) times before I find a permanent place.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Everything NEEDS a place. And that place isn't "on the bench somewhere. Wall hooks, shelves, labeled storage bins have all been instrumental in helping to organize my shop over the last couple years to where I can actually go out there and quickly get into, and out of a project. Always more work to do, I still have some uncategorized stuff laying around in milk crates and buckets, but not much anymore.

Tools also need a place where they are setup ready to use whenever I need to. Nothing kills a 10 minute project more than need to spend 20minutes setting up the tools to do it. Not always easy to do in small shops.

Hardware needs to be organized and easy to find. Kinda related to my first point, but digging through coffee tins full of nuts and bolts to find what you need can be fun sometimes, it's very counterproductive.

Duplicate tools. For me that is wrenches used on a machine. I'll keep my eyes out for cheap tools at yardsale etc so that I can hang them at the machine instead of going to my toolbox to get what I need. This one really speeds up ones efficiency IMO.

This one is important for me, but others might not prioritize it the same, but for me everything needs to be on wheels, or otherwise easily moveable. I have a pallet jack I use to shuffle things around, and other stuff on nice casters. This is helpful for cleaning or new acquisitions. I've rearranged my shop a few times over the years, and every time it's got easier as I build carts for stuff, or put wheels on things. I don't want to do it again, but I want to pick up a surface grinder and bigger lathe in the near future, and knowing I can quickly shuffle stuff around to get them in there takes a load off my mind and makes the task less daunting. Welding table and lathe stand are the only two big ticket things I need to do.

Material storage is another one that is a big priority. When you know what you have, and can put your hands on it quickly it really adds to productivity.

Group like type tools together. Have a clean/dirty side. and stick to it. All my machine tools are at the back, and All my dirty fab stuff at the front. Tough to really separate stuff in a small single car, but every little bit helps. With the furnace at the back blowing towards the front it helps to keep the grinding dust up front on the dirty side. I try not to do a lot of grinding inside anyway, but even a little bit generates a lot of mess. I pulled that tidbit from A Dan Gelbart video.

Over the past couple years I've really put a lot of effort into setting my garage shop up to use. I'm not 100% of the way home yet, but pretty close. It was a lot of work, and frustrating to be working ON the shop instead of IN it sometimes on projects I wanted to do, but looking back it was 100% worth the effort.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Love this thread.
As I struggle with the chaos that is my shop I’m also planning and scheming for my new bigger space.

It's a very timely subject for me. My shop is in crisis. I'm considering a huge revamp of everything. Even parting with all of it is not off the table. I'm currently in yet another post surgery recovery phase so have a lot of time to think about it. So far I've concluded that the organizational chaos in my shop can be attributed to the following things.

1/ Projects take too long to finish and consequently parts and tools are left out for extended periods of time.

2/ Too many projects are on the go concurrently at the same time and associated parts and tools start to get piled on top of each other in the same limited work space.

3/ New tools are constantly being added to the space even tho there is no space there left to put them.

4/ My ambitions are bigger than my work space.

5/ Health issues are getting in the way

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
@Canadium - hope all works out for the best.

Most of us have to many projects on the go.

We need to take a page from the book of Charles Emerson Winchester the Third:

"Do one thing at a time, do it very well and then move on"

Like that's ever going to happen. lol

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
You guys all need counselling.
I already talked to my counsellor, I was told that I needed a bigger shop to not trigger my obsessive compulsiveness.

I forgot one that pisses me off:
2.2) Close doors and cupboards as soon as you’ve taken out/put back what you need. I need to talk to my counsellor about this one- it’s probably going to take several sessions.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
“Do one thing at a time, do it very well and then move on"
Wow, I can’t believe I forgot that one. It should be priority 0) on my list.

Nothing kills my enthusiasm more than having a whole pile of unfinished projects staring at me.

I talked to my counsellor about it, he said I need a dedicated shed for future projects so I’m not continually triggering my perfectionism. He didn’t specify whether it was a heated or unheated shed so I guess he’s leaving that up to my discretion. Not sure why he’s a fan of metal studs though.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Oooh, I just thought of a subtle one:
?.?) Have a friend who always needs something that’s annoying you. Don’t ever try to find out if they’re just throwing things in the garbage or recycling.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
It's a very timely subject for me. My shop is in crisis. I'm considering a huge revamp of everything. Even parting with all of it is not off the table. I'm currently in yet another post surgery recovery phase so have a lot of time to think about it. So far I've concluded that the organizational chaos in my shop can be attributed to the following things.

1/ Projects take too long to finish and consequently parts and tools are left out for extended periods of time.

2/ Too many projects are on the go concurrently at the same time and associated parts and tools start to get piled on top of each other in the same limited work space.

3/ New tools are constantly being added to the space even tho there is no space there left to put them.

You're not alone in your troubles my friend, I can relate on each of your points. In addition to all that, my shop projects and organization has all been put on hold as I will be moving soon. And I won't have a shop at the new place for likely 6 months down the road!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member

I feel your situation.
As I’m hoisting the 8” chucks onto my new lathe I’m thinking to myself “these are pretty heavy, best think of a plan for the future”
I hope your health improves mate.

Tecnico

(Dave)
Hardware needs to be organized and easy to find. Kinda related to my first point, but digging through coffee tins full of nuts and bolts to find what you need can be fun sometimes, it's very counterproductive.

Material storage is another one that is a big priority. When you know what you have, and can put your hands on it quickly it really adds to productivity.

Timely points for me. I just spent some time emptying a ton of fasteners from Castrol GTX and shortening cans, sorting and stowing them in compartmentalized drawers so I can find something when I need it. Felt really good about that afterward, no shrink required!

I mentioned elsewhere that I recently got all my bar stock and sheet metal off the floor and shelves and into rolling carts that slide under the bottom shelf of my work table. Cleaner and I know where to look because that’s the only place it’s going to be!

Good thread!

D :cool:

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Label everything. ( this even gives you an excuse to buy an engraving machine, laser engraver, or small cnc router)

Tom O

Ultra Member
I find it easier to just say “ EH “.
And remember it only looks 1/2 as bad if you put on a eyepatch.
I can relate though my Son continues to go through my shite throwing stuff out from the one day project pile.

Label everything. ( this even gives you an excuse to buy an engraving machine, laser engraver, or small cnc router)
Which labeller would you recommend? I've been thinking of getting one but I need large labels as well as small. Suspect few labellers would do this. So far I just use my computer printer to make paper labels that I tape or glue on. These printed labels look OK but I don't like the glue/tape.

Tom O

Ultra Member
If I bought another I’d make sure it would take the cartridges for the heat shrink tubing as well as the standard labels.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Which labeller would you recommend? I've been thinking of getting one but I need large labels as well as small. Suspect few labellers would do this. So far I just use my computer printer to make paper labels that I tape or glue on. These printed labels look OK but I don't like the glue/tape.
We have a Brother P-Touch H110. Works well.