• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Whelp, there goes the neighborhood.

Wow, I love that. If they weren't supposed to go together, they wouldn't have made them both 20' long.....:D
I know right! And if they didn't want you to put a shelter on the top they wouldn't be 12x20'......:rolleyes: Conveniently, I still have the 12' flat deck up my sleeve...... Now, what do you suppose an over the hill redneck would do with one of those?:eek:
20240122_164643.jpg
..... well, you turn it sideways trim a little bit off the end and weld it in between the two sea cans.......

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I am impressed. I like the extra height the shelter affords. How's the wind where you are?

I bought one of those shelters to store the pontoon boat in years ago, but it wasn't tall enough. Though about building a knee wall for it, but the wind decided that before I could, and yanked it out of the ground (even with the extra anchors), and tossed it into the trees, but not before dragging it along the front of the barn tearing up the month old eaves trough.....

I am impressed. I like the extra height the shelter affords. How's the wind where you are?

I bought one of those shelters to store the pontoon boat in years ago, but it wasn't tall enough. Though about building a knee wall for it, but the wind decided that before I could, and yanked it out of the ground (even with the extra anchors), and tossed it into the trees, but not before dragging it along the front of the barn tearing up the month old eaves trough.....
It's breezy enough here that the limbs on the trees tend to favor the one side of the trunk....... The four middle hoops are directly welded to the edges of the sea cans and the end two are bolted to a couple pieces of channel iron that are in turn welded to the cans. I also have four ratchet straps pulling it down to the cans.
If it does come loose, the power lines should catch it.... LoL. :eek:

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
It's breezy enough here that the limbs on the trees tend to favor the one side of the trunk....... The four middle hoops are directly welded to the edges of the sea cans and the end two are bolted to a couple pieces of channel iron that are in turn welded to the cans. I also have four ratchet straps pulling it down to the cans.
If it does come loose, the power lines should catch it.... LoL. :eek:
You should hook some heavy cables up to it, and then you can bypass your meter just in case

Sorry, just came from the free energy thread.....:D

Tecnico

(Dave)
I have been looking, but not much around here for scrap yards, and it seems to be a bit of a problem area in these.....
My sheet metal skills are next to nonexistent, but, not being one to let fear and good judgement stand in the way........:rolleyes:

All you need is a bit of imagination which you clearly have and a redneck bending brake, AKA a couple 4 ft lengths of angle iron, a few clamps, a chunk of 2 X 4 and a big hammer. With that you can make anything!

See what I meant by advice from afar and a big fat help…..;)

EDIT: Nice job on the shop!

D :cool:

All you need is a bit of imagination which you clearly have and a redneck bending brake, AKA a couple 4 ft lengths of angle iron, a few clamps, a chunk of 2 X 4 and a big hammer. With that you can make anything!

See what I meant by advice from afar and a big fat help…..;)

EDIT: Nice job on the shop!

20230820_125252.jpg
This is the end game of my sheet metal education...... I have a dump truck, two '78 Ford's and a jeep to practice on before I hit the real deal.....:cool:

Tecnico

(Dave)
This is the end game of my sheet metal education...... I have a dump truck, two '78 Ford's and a jeep to practice on before I hit the real deal.....:cool:

Wow, a ‘78 Ford cab with a bottom on the door and cab corners, that’s a distant memory around here!

Yeah, those other “projects” will be good practice for the end game. I remember seeing photos it. Watch out for ferrous oxide poisoning. :p

Wow, a ‘78 Ford cab with a bottom on the door and cab corners, that’s a distant memory around here!

Yeah, those other “projects” will be good practice for the end game. I remember seeing photos it. Watch out for ferrous oxide poisoning. :p

......not the original doors or cab corners.... Lol
But, it was my first truck. :p

Tecnico

(Dave)
Once the top was up and the truck was tucked in, I welded 3 hinges on each sea can and made a pair of doors to close off the front. Okay, they'll be doors when the truck is done and I split the two halves with a chainsaw.......

Around here they make airplane hangers out of containers like you did but a little wider. They also cut out the sides inside to make a wider floor space.

20240214_124849.jpg
I split a few spot welds and cut out a section of the floor in order to remove the rockers.
20240218_140452.jpg
Before going much further I took a little time to pull the dent out of the door jamb and surrounding area.
It's going to be a bit slow going from here in as we have a little bit going on with the family right now and I am struggling with a couple broken teeth that have had me living on Tylenol and oralgel for the past month or so, not to mention those adorable little puppies and the time they consume....

Around here they make airplane hangers out of containers like you did but a little wider. They also cut out the sides inside to make a wider floor space.

I am hoping that it's not going to be a long term solution...... But, until I am able to build a proper shop, it's going to have to do.

Dodging when you shoulda been ducking? Gotta watch those cast iron frying pans... :p
Broke one just before Christmas, finally got an appointment to get it fixed and another one went nuclear on me. Had an emergency root canal done and then broke it the next day..... Learned that I have twice as many roots on my teeth as one should so that one hurt like a mofo until I got back in for another root canal, same tooth...... Finally got in for the original broken tooth, got another root canal and I am not sure what they did, but wow, I certainly know I am still alive........ Pain is great for that......:oops:

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The tooth pain should be a breeze for you to handle. You have two 78 Fords to take the edge off any other pain. :)