• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

What's Paul up to?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The symptoms are a off though, as I'm getting within 5% over my whole speed range.

That does not make sense for an overflow problem. Is the get count function synced to the speed too? Or is it clock based? Or perhaps a bit of both?

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Ok, dug through the manual and the source somewhat more - the code sets QPOSMAX to 0x00ffffff - 24 bits of counter. That's 16M or so pulses per overflow, so that's not what's going on with my system. The hardware itself can go up to 31 bits. It looks like the choice of 24 is to match with floating point precision - more than that and you'd lose precision in the conversion to a 32 bit floating point number (23 bits of mantissa, plus the implied leading 1 bit).
So I'm on the slippage hypothesis. Breakfast is done, I just have to brave the ice storm for the trudge out 50' to the workshop.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Ok, dug through the manual and the source somewhat more - the code sets QPOSMAX to 0x00ffffff - 24 bits of counter. That's 16M or so pulses per overflow, so that's not what's going on with my system. The hardware itself can go up to 31 bits. It looks like the choice of 24 is to match with floating point precision - more than that and you'd lose precision in the conversion to a 32 bit floating point number (23 bits of mantissa, plus the implied leading 1 bit).
So I'm on the slippage hypothesis. Breakfast is done, I just have to brave the ice storm for the trudge out 50' to the workshop.

Is it always high or always low. If high, consider noise. If low, consider lost counts.

Is it out by a ratio or by a more or less constant amount? If ratio, consider a correction factor. If constant, then a subroutine or preload or formula or interrupt error might be interfering. If it's a solid error, consider adding a correction formula.

You eat breakfast every day?

Last edited:

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Ok, you've convinced me to check out the overflow handling in detail - yeah, my 600 step (2400 edges ) encoder spinning at ~1700 steps (6800 edges) per rev will overflow a 16 bit counter at as low as 8rpm when sampled every 2 seconds. The symptoms are a off though, as I'm getting within 5% over my whole speed range.
I'm pretty sure it's a 32 bit counter and the variables are 32 bit. And it's sampling the count at 2Hz or every 500mS. However you have to factor in the large pulley diameter to small pulley diameter so the actual number of counts per spindle revolution is much larger than 2400.

If you have taken that into account you might be out by the number of teeth you carved on the little pulley relative to the number of ribs on the back of the belt. I think guessing slippage is headed in the wrong direction.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
I'm pretty sure it's a 32 bit counter and the variables are 32 bit. And it's sampling the count at 2Hz or every 500mS. However you have to factor in the large pulley diameter to small pulley diameter so the actual number of counts per spindle revolution is much larger than 2400.

If you have taken that into account you might be out by the number of teeth you carved on the little pulley relative to the number of ribs on the back of the belt. I think guessing slippage is headed in the wrong direction.
It's a 32 bit counter with a programmable overflow, set to 24 bits. The control code is all floating point, so the 24 bit limit makes sense.
I can still slip the wheel over the belt, even with the teeth. The nylon isn't providing much friction and my holder isn't letting me apply enough force to keep it from bouncing.
Heading out to the shop now.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Ok, new holder in place, wheel carefully aligned. Set the ratio at 468 RPM, and I'm off by 25% at the low end, (48 on mine vs 60 on the lathe). But now I *really* don't trust the lathe read-out. I can vary the pot to get single-RPM changes on my display, while the lathe doesn't update. It would appear to be a very poor approximator of the RPM, given that it has a hall effect sensor counting 4 times per revolution.
I'm going to mount the sensor John gave me now so I can have an index and count reality.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It would appear to be a very poor approximator of the RPM, given that it has a hall effect sensor counting 4 times per revolution.

Generally, I find Hall effect transducers to be very reliable. The wave form is especially immune to noise and miscounts. Is the gap too wide?

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Generally, I find Hall effect transducers to be very reliable. The wave form is especially immune to noise and miscounts. Is the gap too wide?
It is very slow to respond, and ramps oddly - I suspect it has a really shoddy software filter to generate the output. This is increasing my incentive to mount the new display and electronics directly in the lathe enclosure.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It is very slow to respond, and ramps oddly - I suspect it has a really shoddy software filter to generate the output. This is increasing my incentive to mount the new display and electronics directly in the lathe enclosure.

The wave form on a hall effect is not like most other sensors. It has a very steep edge on one side (which is why it works so well), and almost a hysteresis type curve on the other. But you raise a good point, you could try reversing the wires on the sensor. If it is backwards, a trigger designed for the steep edge might go to hell in a handbasket on the other side!

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
The hall effect bits are all stick to the lathe. I haven't excavated the control board to read what chips are on it, but I'm guessing it's the cheapest counter-and-lookup table they could find 15 years ago. The RPM readout is good enough for setting cutting speed, but not accurate.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Question about your quadrature setup in the software. You said you had 600 lines for 2400 edges per rev. What's the diameter of the driven disk and what's the diameter of the driving pulley? Do you not also have to put that information into the software. At least as a scale factor?
Like if it's 4:1 so you put down for the encoder 9600 edges per rev?

Or do you guess at the RPM and enter some sort of value?

Edit: Oh and can you put the scope on the hall sensor feeding the lathe electronics?

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
You said you had 600 lines for 2400 edges per rev. What's the diameter of the driven disk and what's the diameter of the driving pulley?
I used my logic analyzer to count how many rising edges I have on the A signal in one revolution of the spindle, so that embeds the two radii. Multiplying that figure by 4 gives the number of edges the software is expecting.
Just wiring up that opto-sensor now, which I'll be able to hold in my toolpost easily enough. Then my scope should be able to get some RPM figures out for me.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I dug into my plastic bin marked DRO and Stepper Driver. The source code for the PIC is dated 2008. I thought maybe the US Digital Encoder had an index output. The part number is only S1-400-B so it's a ball bearing based unit but no Index. I confirmed that with the scope. The index pin is the same as the A output. Back in 2008 I must have paid $57US for it.

DRO3.JPG

Attachments

• shaftEncoder.pdf
    90.2 KB · Views: 2

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I used my logic analyzer to count how many rising edges I have on the A signal in one revolution of the spindle, so that embeds the two radii. Multiplying that figure by 4 gives the number of edges the software is expecting.
Just wiring up that opto-sensor now, which I'll be able to hold in my toolpost easily enough. Then my scope should be able to get some RPM figures out for me.
To me the diameter of the large pulley looks to be bigger than just over 2x the smaller one. So 600 lines on the encoder to get 1675 is 2.79. I suppose if the small pulley is 2" the big one could be 5.58". Hard to tell from the photo.

Optical illusion perhaps.
John

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Ok, the whole "calibration jig" is a touch Rube Goldberg, but it's working, and I trust my speed output.
bfagLmIzOKULKzyEGdZy2vyYWlXBTdit0-Q2pNUbtRv9x0DQQSPfsWz4w2ZIaF2T8Q8PPKvkcQfyncsERkAMt6hGEZlC7AxXKMAW23Pssu-esLWMeME-HXI7z8UGyJxe8-m4AJMWvzVSm7xT_1TwFlKllyZ6XySY8K2jjTYntZ37jMvD6jd7PgOsoGVk03S9immZQi8S6szPOKCe4V9O4lG89H3Y6E2BZU5FR20uOI8cys1T-1rx6LJOhjYc5QMKlqn9XLgy_NpPZlfhrc5DQmv-ODmKFbE2wZ7pjIT_vFgqmvk4Ml0Gfo9K8ylAvWMFlcdB2W0PUkrtGWuvgGE83FM9DfVriGi_d5nSIIZqtvWPAJE5WCPpEAWP7Sr7AnGPgGjCUtMECEaAjPNaiEFiiD4E5LCo6a_KwesKmJfZ0ujILwd5Kl8qbwPAdlPS7nfDecSP_DhMrwuLWq6hivSDpCze32G--YlwQS1ZRQCBV7TAK6-gTjPfMUIr93h--D__ElrMr6RM8HXzyj2HfvkevOcObIXwPS65X4D0x0fr8bTVLdFHo812OSJwEGG05KUdtTVA5iDXFeqTL73Jtjl_T0NnYw13jiVdaBxlN1daDaOX_oRmHPPbAAUnIP3pNBYqCCrvw-MEE4nRMv6L7mS4pSS8hwrvtLAiVVpRwLkUq3eorSFwMBLzW95pA5YQCWbLYez2mAOHpTvJ8axds62NYrfR5KAqwln30x6HG9NfdcK3Q7WVeTTMhsEtPCETECS52K6oKoYyxaZJPopUYkGL-nYJWdIFm0d21HM4uPcSuR7129qGVWVim8QqWVxwOf_xi6K9RJtF0AH3uQpQmZHB8QKu5Xx7wL3ur9f0h2XtnL6b9Va8a99daoxnoe0oyZWeiHI0vDyrQ0CfdVcYWiRe9Qm2RiGwoL02GLMdYMCbv2knUg=w2582-h1943-no

I have an Allen key chucked, with the optical interruption sensor held in a quick-change tool holder, which made alignment really easy. That snare of (too short and messy) wires go to the breadboard where there's a couple of resistors thanks to which I fried neither the sensor nor my logic analyzer. It also has a bypass cap to reduce noise on the sensor. The logic analyzer hooks to the breadboard, as well as power and ground coming from my controler, in case I wanted to get my encoder pulses at the same time as the index pulse.

Logic analyzer snapshots show the thing repeatable and the displayed time is correct as far as the logic probe is concerned.

Thanks @jcdammeyer and @Susquatch for the support.

Biggest hurdle to overcome to make this work? The brown and black wires on the sensor are reversed from the random diagram I pulled off the internet - black wanted +, brown to ground.

On to making some test threads!

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Yes, I'd like to see this too.
Yes, I should be able to do that.
There's a little 8-bit Holtek HT48R30A hiding behind the panel. 10MHz job. Lots of empty, clean space behind there, so I'm pretty sure this is where my electronics will go.
bXxAv7xfQMDXTbmLejP7pFeY5l6kNcmKMAtqMNqVzEXFuKeHYXPIt0p5KmeTv8M7IH6K3W9YUvI0cmXK9K76DBCHXBxbLpOxeFNPo5uJnNx-dR5M_4zqFtYX4UDfiGVZiBsCWttOrSTobKI4WzombSeb2vRhVHS3w6Glx8aihQhXjBnn4UTyHhZMBOgVwa_ypI13kKs4fVRwPdI5i-p7qWY1sjRcsM7K1FQpIRu3X_YI9cy-Oxapup355_hlY9dTlz6yw9xFJf5CgO0vlVzD6iLF_pOOLix3ogxEPyjfzgptlPotyBWhcb1uTTtSHHDJHVuNJfYukGH6Cy2KJFdCaCQb_ks1fz10DyzyWOIsZ66RSfzV6afYbB_fOO7S1HRXoQeLbk_Wj4B-VyY9FES9tc_hANq-6ozuT_XhprvqrJ_KjPNaNTo_dOoFoqivRn3OBmfxwIcz483Y3BhIHij0c2cqDtBRXPgv1DV8boblb8UJRpoGvGTWiTmbM5Z7I8cwwOqpnx2jC6tx7cQrWjUxCsTT2Jn7C-2WTkR-Y7UBK1Yj3fSs71cmGPxtvgWO47O8gJOUpfTizG-cA6Wt0rQTF7ncLPaskqMQNhIXSMZHh5t94dGUjG7MpAxRr_JpAd52zuAwnDpk1cnv_Ve0j7fECGwwRgnTm-WVNBJWDqjffMsRMnPo3VOLuVF528GjFlMFjrFwCYp1C2JdoI3I1GQ4B0x_wxJQgCp5ILkh4w-55wgz8KiCRRCwn6auNgGA6yKWF_V_16N9RKWFtyWH_WpY6T1IEa82X1bXVWEyI63key-mloWxxgyOqTKllshLdBvGkBEjXZugd3ggnq3nWOGAUn1NgofC5xismoCv2jpfsYfI0TEcz6UU5W_A04W03PRbspMcwbywcD-KPRzMVOfFIpB9_un0iO2nTZIDYWGhOfZQGg=w1464-h1943-no

Seeing if I can find the right Molex connector to adapt some leads onto the sensor wiring.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Yes, I should be able to do that.
There's a little 8-bit Holtek HT48R30A hiding behind the panel. 10MHz job. Lots of empty, clean space behind there, so I'm pretty sure this is where my electronics will go.
bXxAv7xfQMDXTbmLejP7pFeY5l6kNcmKMAtqMNqVzEXFuKeHYXPIt0p5KmeTv8M7IH6K3W9YUvI0cmXK9K76DBCHXBxbLpOxeFNPo5uJnNx-dR5M_4zqFtYX4UDfiGVZiBsCWttOrSTobKI4WzombSeb2vRhVHS3w6Glx8aihQhXjBnn4UTyHhZMBOgVwa_ypI13kKs4fVRwPdI5i-p7qWY1sjRcsM7K1FQpIRu3X_YI9cy-Oxapup355_hlY9dTlz6yw9xFJf5CgO0vlVzD6iLF_pOOLix3ogxEPyjfzgptlPotyBWhcb1uTTtSHHDJHVuNJfYukGH6Cy2KJFdCaCQb_ks1fz10DyzyWOIsZ66RSfzV6afYbB_fOO7S1HRXoQeLbk_Wj4B-VyY9FES9tc_hANq-6ozuT_XhprvqrJ_KjPNaNTo_dOoFoqivRn3OBmfxwIcz483Y3BhIHij0c2cqDtBRXPgv1DV8boblb8UJRpoGvGTWiTmbM5Z7I8cwwOqpnx2jC6tx7cQrWjUxCsTT2Jn7C-2WTkR-Y7UBK1Yj3fSs71cmGPxtvgWO47O8gJOUpfTizG-cA6Wt0rQTF7ncLPaskqMQNhIXSMZHh5t94dGUjG7MpAxRr_JpAd52zuAwnDpk1cnv_Ve0j7fECGwwRgnTm-WVNBJWDqjffMsRMnPo3VOLuVF528GjFlMFjrFwCYp1C2JdoI3I1GQ4B0x_wxJQgCp5ILkh4w-55wgz8KiCRRCwn6auNgGA6yKWF_V_16N9RKWFtyWH_WpY6T1IEa82X1bXVWEyI63key-mloWxxgyOqTKllshLdBvGkBEjXZugd3ggnq3nWOGAUn1NgofC5xismoCv2jpfsYfI0TEcz6UU5W_A04W03PRbspMcwbywcD-KPRzMVOfFIpB9_un0iO2nTZIDYWGhOfZQGg=w1464-h1943-no

Seeing if I can find the right Molex connector to adapt some leads onto the sensor wiring.
You realize of course that the nut you used isn't really 1/2"-13 but actually 2mm pitch. :p