• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

What's Paul up to?

fixerup

Super User
CNC everything is so much more capable compared to manual machining, it opens up so many possibilities without the need of all the special tooling. Rotary table, angle plates, indexing , counterbores etc...........
All these 3D printing, laser cutting , water jet CNC write-ups are so inspiring. I lack the basic computer skills. the learning curve would be quite steep. There is a 3D printer and a laser cutter at the locale library which could give me the opportunity to at least try it out without breaking the bank. But meanwhile I will keep reading these inspiring write-up and learn.
Thank for posting

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I will be the first to say that 3D printing is an easy out. I bought my 3:1 sheet metal tool and a corner notcher to be able to make metal boxes. The 3T arbour press was to become a hole, slot punch with an XY positioning system to be able to punch the holes in the right place, then notch and bend the box,cover or panel.
Instead, for the most part all my boxes lately have been 3D printed and certainly not hogged out of an expensive solid piece of metal. Even casting the raw box takes more time and effort than the 3D process.
So I have become much lazier. But also more productive in some ways.

Attachments

• OutletBox-3D-1g.jpg
    OutletBox-3D-1g.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 3

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Benchy apparently had a print error 2 hours and 30 minutes in.
Still something to get right in there. 17051232044151316603635766963311.jpg

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Hows the belt tension?
Nominal. I just got in to find it in this state. In the morning I'll check the print errors. At a glance I'm guessing the nozzle is dragging some crap. Need to pull it and clean it properly, which I haven't done yet.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
But do you get a free blob and snarl with yours? I clearly need more calibration.
No. It's about half way through and looking pretty good.
Now I still prefer the Repetier Slicer program but the SOVOL program that came with the printer uses CURA and I've mostly used it out of the box so to speak.

I'm running my first layer at 0.1mm and 150%. I'm not sure the 150% is working right because unlike my Repetier driven glass top printer the first layer strands don't run into each other. It's something I've been meaning to get into but work-work at the moment is keeping me very busy with of course also the family stuff.

The slicing was done at 20% infil and the speeds all stock as it came. However it may be important to mention I was having a heck of a time with the infill earlier. Was not impressed. I contacted my friend JoeMac and asked him since he has the same printer and it turns out he wasn't having those problems. What the F?

Well his software was an older version. Mine was newer and apparently had a bug. I updated to the latest and my infill issues suddenly went away.

I'd suggest if you are using the SOVOL application the first thing to do is update to the latest version.

Then take a look at the end of the G-Code. It's pretty ugly compared to the Repetier slicer.
Code:
;End of Gcode
;SETTING_3 {"global_quality": "[general]\\nversion = 4\\nname = Fine #2\\ndefini
;SETTING_3 tion = SV06_Plus\\n\\n[metadata]\\ntype = quality_changes\\nquality_t
;SETTING_3 ype = normal\\nsetting_version = 22\\n\\n[values]\\nadhesion_type = n
;SETTING_3 one\\nlayer_height = 0.2\\nlayer_height_0 = 0.1\\nmaterial_bed_temper
;SETTING_3 ature = 70\\nsupport_type = everywhere\\n\\n", "extruder_quality": ["
;SETTING_3 [general]\\nversion = 4\\nname = Fine #2\\ndefinition = SV06_Plus\\n\
;SETTING_3 \n[metadata]\\ntype = quality_changes\\nquality_type = normal\\nsetti
;SETTING_3 ng_version = 22\\nposition = 0\\n\\n[values]\\nbottom_layers = 5\\nbo
;SETTING_3 ttom_thickness = 1\\nbrim_line_count = 6\\nbrim_smart_ordering = Fals
;SETTING_3 e\\ninfill_pattern = grid\\ninfill_sparse_density = 20.0\\ninitial_la
;SETTING_3 yer_line_width_factor = 200.0\\nmaterial_print_temperature = 215\\nre
;SETTING_3 tract_at_layer_change = True\\nskirt_brim_minimal_length = 400\\nskir
;SETTING_3 t_brim_speed = 30\\nspeed_print_layer_0 = 30\\nsupport_angle = 60\\nt
;SETTING_3 op_thickness = 1.0\\nwall_line_count = 3\\n\\n"]}

I believe it shows most of the parameters in my setup. My Benchy is still printing.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
So here it is. At first I thought it really screwed up the drivers seat. Then I realized (and confirmed) it was the throne made with all the swords.
I suspect if I slowed the printer down a tad it might print better quality. But this wasn't bad.
GoFBenchy.jpg

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Benchy apparently had a print error 2 hours and 30 minutes in.
Still something to get right in there.View attachment 42874
I'm going to guess you have adhesion issues. It comes loose, moves a tad and then nothing lines up and you get the rats nest of traces.
Print the first layer of something and then stop the print and post a photo. Let's see what the first layer looks like.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
I'm going to guess you have adhesion issues. It comes loose, moves a tad and then nothing lines up and you get the rats nest of traces.
Print the first layer of something and then stop the print and post a photo. Let's see what the first layer looks like.
Calibration first layer patch. I'm now running with the 1.750 mm extruder offset.
PXL_20240112_201801707.jpg

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I almost always print with a raft.
I like the glass finish on my older printer. The rough shape on the new one with the magnetic plate isn't as nice. I'm not happy with the brim on the new one. The lines aren't the right thickness. Maybe no one uses a BRIM on this printer so it might even be a bug. Or I have something set wrong.