• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Sticky What Machines Do You have?

Wow! That's a DEEP gap! But that's not normally the way a lathe is measured. Usually it is center to the ways x 2. Gaps are normally given separately. But I see where you got the number now.

My old FE Reed didn't have a removable gap. My new lathe does, but you could not pay me enough to ever remove it.

If I ever needed the extra swing I'd take my work to someone with a bigger lathe.
Heres a pic of my daily go to Lathe , a Logan 10" x 36" had this for 30ish yrs now. Its never let me down.I used to have to find a bigger Lathe at times.The big one lives in my sons shop its significantly bigger than the space I have.

Attachments

• IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    624.3 KB · Views: 22

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
我有一台reiden-T200(200-1500),比较大的车床,加工范围 2020_12_31_09_24_IMG_3715.JPG 2021_06_22_22_05_IMG_8995.JPG 2022_06_27_10_08_IMG_3110.JPG 2020_10_25_12_41_IMG_2102.JPG 2021_01_27_11_11_IMG_4103.JPG 广,可以满足我的大部分用途。 并且,根据自己的需要进行电子化改进,使之更适应操作者的使用。

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
我有一台reiden-T200(200-1500),比较大的车床,加工范围View attachment 31444View attachment 31445View attachment 31446View attachment 31448View attachment 31449广,可以满足我的大部分用途。 并且,根据自己的需要进行电子化改进,使之更适应操作者的使用。

Apple translate says

I have a reiden-T200 (200-1500), a relatively large lathe with a wide processing range, which can meet most of my uses. In addition, make electronic improvements according to your own needs to make it more suitable for the use of operators.

Ironman

Ultra Member
Ok, I'll do it...a Lagun FTV3 mill, a Western lathe 14x40 made by Mysore Kirlosker, a CNC plasma table 4 x 8 cutting size and Hypertherm 1250 Plasma. A Nider NI64 drill press, small Lincoln mig and a 400 amp Thermal Arc, Mubea 20 ton Ironworker, a 100 press, and all the scrap that goes along with this stuff. More stuff I can't bother listing.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
-Emco V13 13x40 3hp lathe with Teco L510 VFD, Ditron 3 axis dro
-Standard Modern 1660 16x60 lathe, 10hp with Baldor H2 VFD, DRO soon
- Monarch 10ee lathe, motor generator converted to single phase (steelman method), apart for paint.....
-Kent CNC mill, 3hp EVS head, factory Parker VFD, no cnc control, so manual operation for now, 10x54 table, ballscrews, Mitutoyo DRO
-Norton 6x12 surface grinder

Alawishes

My lathe is this one - http://www.lathes.co.uk/torrent/ - It's a pretty nice machine after all the re-wiring to bring it down to 208v from the original 600v.

My mill is effectively this one - http://www.grizzly.com/products/Horizontal-Vertical-Mill/G3617 - Although its not actually that machine, its the same style and probably almost the same castings. 208v 3phase. I haven't used too much of the horizontal option yet, but I just picked up about 200 slotting cutters so I will be.

I also have a CNC plasma I built a few years back, its 6' x 12' and can handle a full 5' x 10' sheet. Running a Hypertherm powermax45 currently with a full water table so it can cut submerged (stops warping from the heat of the plasma).

If you are wanting to pick up a new toolpost I have a 40 position (once you use one, you won't ever go to anything else) that will fit your machine complete with holders.. I just bought one that it better suited to my new lathe. I've attached pictures below, the reason for the 40 position is that you have 40 positions of indexing so you can change angles for cutting with multiple tools without ever having to loosen the toolpost and therefore not lose the original position.. pretty hand when doing something like parting, threading and other operations.

View attachment 13View attachment 14View attachment 15View attachment 16View attachment 17
I bought a used set of size C Multifix toolpost/holders for my larger lathe, thanks to a member of a different forum living in Europe. I love the system! I was a bit afraid but I bought a new size A system (from China) for my SB10k and was very impressed with the quality… so I bought another set size E for my Monarch. As you mention, no other system once you try these.

Alawishes

What machines do you have, what do you like and dislike about them, any upgrades you're looking at?

Personally, I have a Craftex Mini Mill (CT133)
-- I like that I have access to a mill in general. Dislike that I have to work within the little guy's limits. Hope to upgrade to a bridgport or similar manual mill in the next couple of years.

I also have a Craftex 10X18 lathe (B2227L)
- This machine is actually perfect for what I've been working on. Need to get it a quick change tool post, as it has the lantern style, which is a pain. Wish it had a quick change gear box, as changing out the gears is a bit tedious!

What about you guys?
I’ve been collecting tools and machines for over 25 years, and I’ve had some incredible luck along the way. I was an auto mechanic in my previous life so lots of hand tools for that, and complimented by far too many good deals at garage sales. Starting off was a SB 10k lathe, then a used Busy Bee vertical mill that I converted to a DC motor, and that started off the downhill slide. A steal of a deal on a Summit 19/23x80 lathe (had to put a single phase 7.5hp motor in it) and a good sized set of Multifix C toolpost/holders. I bought a Monarch 10ee off eBay (I followed the seller on the Practical Machinist forum and he just got a 5th Monarch and ran out of room, so I knew it was a safe bet). Lovely machine! What I thought was a good deal on a Victoria U1 horizontal mill ended up as a rebuild project but I’m most of the way there. Converted to 5hp single phase motor. A fairly good deal on a Stanko vertical mill (10hp spindle motor and 3hp table drive motor with rapid return on all 3 axis) but I haven’t got it talking to the rotary phase converter I built. Hopefully soon! A neighbour gave me his home built 42 ton press that was left over after a fire burnt his shop. 2years of waiting for all the replacement parts to go on sale at Princess Auto but now it’s working well. I need to build an expanded metal shield to slip on the front — that machine scares me. Somewhere along the way I bought a G&E 16” universal shaper and a dividing head to go with it (again convert to single phase motor), and a Cincinnati tool and cutter grinder (static phase converter). I ended up buying a second one for the accessories so as soon as I can convert the motor to something other than 380v 3ph. I’ll sell that one. Auction “deal” B&S #2 surface grinder that needed new preci$$ion spindle bearings and is almost running again, and a 36” jump shear. When my friends company amalgamated with another I got a free metal brake (not a finger break but what the heck) and an older Miller 300a TIG welder that only needed a foot pedal and a bottle. My little 120v MIG welder works great for thin metals and a great find on Kijiji — Idealarc 250 stick welder for $100, with some long and thick cables plus ends. My 7x12 Princess Auto horizontal band saw works really well but the vertical table setup was painful so using my arch enemy eBay I stumbled onto a Powermatic 20” vertical bandsaw which needed a single phase motor and is just great. Another ebay find was an older die filer that gets used occasionally and I’m most of the way through building a heat treat oven. A great deal on a Solberga 8speed geared head drill at only $150 but $300 to ship it here. Currently hooking up a VFD to it. Auction goodies include a Hossfeld bender for $170, with a stand and all the dies, and a manual chop/shear for $70 also on a stand. Again on Kijiji, a Thermo Dynamics Pakmaster plasma cutter, Princess Auto sandblasting cabinet, their 80 gallon 5hp air compressor and a 20 gallon parts washer. That’s about it over the last 25 years or so. Could never have managed this if I had children…

Alawishes

Nice equipment inventory. What is the plane in your avatar? Another hobby?
Christen Eagle II, fully aerobatic. It got sold with my parachute business a year ago last fall, so only flying on the Microsoft simulator now. In theory I’m retired but actually busier than ever. Lots of flying over the years, starting with buying a Cessna 140 and getting my license on it. Flew skydivers to altitude for lots of years, and a group of us used to fly my friends restored RCAF Expeditor (Beech 18) to Oshkosh airshow for lots of years. Great flying memories.

Alawishes

I never did get my pilots license or build the kit plane of my dreams (Seawind). So Microsoft Flight Simulator and I are very old friends.
There’s a guy on YouTube (he lime h) who has built himself a fully functioning B737 sim on his 3d printer, that interfaces with MSFS. Hope to head in that direction.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
There’s a guy on YouTube (he lime h) who has built himself a fully functioning B737 sim on his 3d printer, that interfaces with MSFS. Hope to head in that direction.

Not for me. Since I never had a real plane myself, I don't hunger for that level of realism. Mostly I enjoy navigating and fly with the keyboard, mouse, and an old force feedback joystick.