Sticky What Machines Do You have?

Danzo187

Premium Member
my play area total investment 3500 US ,not including tooling, a long winter and wanted to recapture some of my working days
and while I post these pictures let me ask why does my English SM 13 inch 2000 series lathe have a .125 cross feed dial on it when the cross feed screw is 5/8-8 acme is there some kind of weird metric voo doo that I'm missing or has the brain fog finally hit me at 71.
Bridgeport 900 US as you see it sm13 inch 2000 lathe, Trav-A-Dial has taper attachment steady rest 3 chucks and qc tooling ,6" was brand new 1200 US, Harig super 612 ,630 US SG ,Darex E90 and M5 end mill and drill sharpener 300 US for the pair,mititoyu BJ250B optical comparator 300 .carbide grinder with decent diamond wheels 100 US

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    439.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    448.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    478.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    459.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    502.7 KB · Views: 26

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
125 cross feed dial on it when the cross feed screw is 5/8-8 acme

Hmmmmm......maybe because 1/8 = 125?

Ya, my brain cells started missing at 65, so you are doing well at 71. But you are in great company here. The old guys all have regular brain farts. The young guys do too but they ignore them while we fuss over them.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
does my English SM 13 inch 2000 series lathe have a .125 cross feed dial on it when the cross feed screw is 5/8-8 acme
My SM Utilathe 1654 has a 3/4"-5LH cross-slide screw, so 1 full rotation of the dial moves the cross-slide .200". I was contemplating changing the cross-slide screw and nut to a 3/4"-10 so that each mark on the dial would reduce the OD by 0.001", but then I installed a DRO and now not too concerned.

Alawishes

my play area total investment 3500 US ,not including tooling, a long winter and wanted to recapture some of my working days
and while I post these pictures let me ask why does my English SM 13 inch 2000 series lathe have a .125 cross feed dial on it when the cross feed screw is 5/8-8 acme is there some kind of weird metric voo doo that I'm missing or has the brain fog finally hit me at 71.
Bridgeport 900 US as you see it sm13 inch 2000 lathe, Trav-A-Dial has taper attachment steady rest 3 chucks and qc tooling ,6" was brand new 1200 US, Harig super 612 ,630 US SG ,Darex E90 and M5 end mill and drill sharpener 300 US for the pair,mititoyu BJ250B optical comparator 300 .carbide grinder with decent diamond wheels 100 US
Danzo, good deal on the Darex! I know what a comparator is, but what do you use it for? Thx, al.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice group of machines well done.
I have a sm10 utilathe and it has the same 125 dial and uses 1/2- 8 acme and it has confused me in the past
I am sure I am not the only one curious to see some pictures of your self made threading dial?
Thanks

Danzo187

Premium Member
Nice group of machines well done.
I have a sm10 utilathe and it has the same 125 dial and uses 1/2- 8 acme and it has confused me in the past
I am sure I am not the only one curious to see some pictures of your self made threading dial?
Thanks
that's what throws me off the compound dial is .100 yet the cross feed is.125 ,why didn't they just use a 5/8-10 on cross feed and have .100 on both dials, well ,I'll just have to pay more attention when I'm machining on occasions Tantalum ,Inconel, and Hastelloy

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
that's what throws me off the compound dial is .100 yet the cross feed is.125 ,why didn't they just use a 5/8-10 on cross feed and have .100 on both dials, well ,I'll just have to pay more attention when I'm machining on occasions Tantalum ,Inconel, and Hastelloy
What do you make with those exotic metals?

Feeop

The new Vevor 7x14. Well part of it anyway. No power, tailstock base is garbage and much more as most people know, but on the bright side I have a new project and have also discovered new utubers. Cheers

Attachments

• PXL_20231104_025538151.jpg
    PXL_20231104_025538151.jpg
    535.2 KB · Views: 14
The new Vevor 7x14. Well part of it anyway. No power, tailstock base is garbage and much more as most people know, but on the bright side I have a new project and have also discovered new utubers. Cheers
Cool, I really liked building models when I was a kid...... Surprise, surprise huh. :rolleyes:
Try making a separate post if you can, documenting the journey down the rabbit hole. It might give others the confidence to follow in your footsteps.....

I guess il bite, just getting into the machine shop side of things as I primarily focused my shop on fabrication for the last few years.
Miller 251 mig
Miller dynasty dx 200
Miller bobcat 225
Canox mig 200
Canox sw 351
Langmuir crossfire pro cnc table
Hypertherm powermax 85
Bantam 6' 24T pneumatic press brake
Craftex CX117 bandsaw
Ingersoll 7.5 hp 80 gal compressor
A new to me Magnum cut 3hp knee mill

Hoping to find a lathe in the 14x40 size soon to complement the mill, I'm probably forgetting a few things.

I guess il bite, just getting into the machine shop side of things as I primarily focused my shop on fabrication for the last few years.
Miller 251 mig
Miller dynasty dx 200
Miller bobcat 225
Canox mig 200
Canox sw 351
Langmuir crossfire pro cnc table
Hypertherm powermax 85
Bantam 6' 24T pneumatic press brake
Craftex CX117 bandsaw
Ingersoll 7.5 hp 80 gal compressor
A new to me Magnum cut 3hp knee mill

Hoping to find a lathe in the 14x40 size soon to complement the mill, I'm probably forgetting a few things.
......... and why couldn't YOU be my neighbor?....:rolleyes:........ please....:p

jgimp69

New here. I’m just starting to gear up for retirement but here goes

-Bridgeport knee mill, variable, rewound from 600v to 240 and setup with a freq drive. Setup with 2 axis accurite readout, Kurt drawbar and in the midst of booking up a trico coolant system.
-Colchester master 2500, new 240/3 with freq drive. Work injury has kept me from getting it up and running. Still need to run the wiring/contactor/E-stop/120V and it’s still sitting on skates.
-Small KBC surface grinder, made up new ball races for the table. Still need to grind in the magnet.
-Sandblast cabinet with cyclone separator, what a difference
-15T hydraulic press that I want to replace with a 40T.
-Couple bench grinders, one variable speed.
-Combo belt/disc sander
-Miller 180 mig
-Craftex 7” horizontal bandsaw
-Devair 80G/5hp 2 stage hard piped with 1/2” black pipe. Still need a dryer.
I run a propane furnace and a dehumidifier to keep as much moisture from my compressor as possible.
Hoping next year I can invest in a #3 arbor press and a few jib cranes to help out the ole’ back.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
New here. I’m just starting to gear up for retirement but here goes

-Bridgeport knee mill, variable, rewound from 600v to 240 and setup with a freq drive. Setup with 2 axis accurite readout, Kurt drawbar and in the midst of booking up a trico coolant system.
-Colchester master 2500, new 240/3 with freq drive. Work injury has kept me from getting it up and running. Still need to run the wiring/contactor/E-stop/120V and it’s still sitting on skates.
-Small KBC surface grinder, made up new ball races for the table. Still need to grind in the magnet.
-Sandblast cabinet with cyclone separator, what a difference
-15T hydraulic press that I want to replace with a 40T.
-Couple bench grinders, one variable speed.
-Combo belt/disc sander
-Miller 180 mig
-Craftex 7” horizontal bandsaw
-Devair 80G/5hp 2 stage hard piped with 1/2” black pipe. Still need a dryer.
I run a propane furnace and a dehumidifier to keep as much moisture from my compressor as possible.
Hoping next year I can invest in a #3 arbor press and a few jib cranes to help out the ole’ back.
Where did you get the habit ?
Champion, Gearco, Sifto ?
I used to hail from Bayfield but got married and moved to Stratford and now Kitchener.