• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Welding carts & compressed gases

Everett

Super User
Nice cart Jeff, the paint really makes it pop!

I guess I should share mine, now that the disaster and general entropy in the shop is becoming less disastrous and entropic . . . This was the first thing I welded when I got the TIG 200. I didn't have space for a separate welding cart and welding bench in my old shop (don't really have the space for separate ones here either, really) so made a welding bench that held the machine and had a table. The table top came out of a scrap bin, the square tube and angle were leftovers from a previous project when I had my acreage, and the wheels were off a scrapped pressure washer. The chain is held secure to the table by two wide-headed cap screws that were formerly Dodge 8HP45 transmission pan bolts as they're perfect to keep the chain on and were free, lol.

I never did paint it. Now that I have a few more welding supplies, once I track down some cheap angle iron I'll add another shelf under the welder. Sadly, haven't used it much in the last year but hopefully can get some seat time in the near future with a couple things I want to make.
IMG_20220303_164434544.jpg

IMG_20220303_164446167.jpg

The machine itself sits on an OSB shelf, so there shouldn't be any transient grounding issues. Seems to have worked well for me so far.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Ready to use

Nicely done! You and I are on different paths apparently. I sold the 180 and bought a smaller one so as to combine them into one cart. I see you bought the 180 and built it into a second cart ...

My 180 came on wheels but had no place to hang cables other than around the handle. And rod storage was hoaky due to me not taking the time to make it nice instead of just usable. Your system turned looks great! Enjoy.

I am planning on painting mine today so hopefully get some pictures up by the end of the weekend.

Gearhead88

Super User
Nicely done! You and I are on different paths apparently. I sold the 180 and bought a smaller one so as to combine them into one cart. I see you bought the 180 and built it into a second cart ...

My 180 came on wheels but had no place to hang cables other than around the handle. And rod storage was hoaky due to me not taking the time to make it nice instead of just usable. Your system turned looks great! Enjoy.

I am planning on painting mine today so hopefully get some pictures up by the end of the weekend.
I included lots of places to hang stuff , if it ever gets stolen , it would be perfect for the hobo's with shopping carts we see wandering around , to hang all their stuff

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So with all the discussions on new areas to post threads in, I thought I might update this one. ;)

Got the rod storage rack done. I am going to have a short tube for those half rods that get accumulated (or am I the only one that saves them?) I also removed those wooden spacer blocks in the base and inserted some bushings (1/2" pipe) to prevent the tubing from being crushed when I over tighten the caster bolts. (which I did already, which told me I need to have something in the tube) It gave me an opportunity to play with the new tig unit. Does anyone else feel like they are going on a date when setting up to TIG? Geez, get the stool in the right place, set the foot pedal, wrap the cable somehow so that it does not affect the awesome roll of dimes I am about to lay down, realize no place to rest the hand on so unwrap the cable shawl and find a clamp. Where is the filler rod? Ok, go, dip the tungsten, crap! unwrap, go grind the tungsten, regroup, repeat.....I should just use JB Weld....

But, now, having ranted, I tigged in the cover plates where the wood blocks were before. Nice little project. Played with the pulse function. I think it will be good to learn to use. Also, ditched the foot pedal and used the torch switch in 4T mode. That is sweet! So, for those following the cart thread but really wondering how the new Everlast Tig unit is, loving it so far. o_O

The first coat of cover today was a coat of the new Tremclad low VOC water based primer. Can't say I am a fan. It is, well, like latex paint. The directions say do not thin but no way my HVLP was drawing that crud through the nozzle so I thinned it. I had a mask on but still, gotta admit, no fumes is nice. And it went on ok, and ready for next coat in 1 to 3 hours. That is a nice feature of the water based stuff. I love it for cabinets. Next coat was the old oil based Tremclad, a staple in my shop, and it went on nice. This is the first coat. 2nd coat tomorrow and put it all together and call it done.

Every time I paint something, I tell myself I should set up tarps to keep the over spray down. Finally did that, but, don't worry, I won't start a thread in Daily Shop Improvements about the hanging of the tarps ordeal. But it really was a shop improvement, and not much of an ordeal.

lol

Cheers,
Shawn

Attachments

• 20220305_201932.jpg
    20220305_201932.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220305_202003.jpg
    20220305_202003.jpg
    475 KB · Views: 9

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I just realized if I don't get around to fixing that old Evinrude and getting it out of my shop soon, people will realize, from posted photos, how long I will trip over something instead of just getting the job done....:rolleyes:

:D

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Loaded and ready to go. Need to build the drawer yet for the bottom. There was room behind the Lincoln for storing the gas cylinder caps. A piece of plastic drain pipe secured with a piece of all thread.

Attachments

• 20220308_161224.jpg
    20220308_161224.jpg
    441.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220308_161235.jpg
    20220308_161235.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220308_161259.jpg
    20220308_161259.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 14

DHHok

Well, I'll throw my (under construction) cart in here.
Not nearly as nice as others on here, but I "upgraded" an old shopping cart.
Now before any one says it.........no, I did not steal it. :) I came across it legally at the metal recyclers. Had a broken frame and was dripping in grease. Don't know where it came from, but it took two full cans of brake cleaner to degrease it.
I've been waiting for the KMS tank sale to get a couple decent size tanks, but now I needed a cart to move them around.
It's surprisingly sturdy. I only needed to upgrade the wheels because I was putting all my welders on one cart, (except the oxy/act) and those tanks are heavy.
I still have to add the hooks, rod holders, and a cradle for the tanks. I'm also going to put receptacles on the cart for the welders, and run a single cord to the outlet. That way I don't need to unplug/plug, when I change welders.

I've had that cheap arc welder for decades and has served me well. I only bought the TIG less than a year ago and use it way more than I thought. Love being able to weld aluminum. Never TIG'd before, so I don't have any comparison, but it's a good machine for me. The MIG, I haven't even used yet. It was a KMS new, open box return for $200, so I couldn't resist.

Attachments

• Cart 1.jpg
    Cart 1.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Cart 2.jpg
    Cart 2.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Cart 3.jpg
    Cart 3.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I’ve been dealing with oxypro off Barlow ….. I’m neutral. I own all my cylinders and when u exchanged I got the old , hmmmm, we’ll, geeez, these are 11 year old bottles….. I said but I always exchange here and ended up having to pair the certification fee etc. i can never get a good feeling with these guys…. I go there because it is convienient.

I don’t mind Kms but the last refill I had they didn’t cool the cylinder imho and the fill was about 80%. I did lease from praxaor for a few years but I don’t weld enough to justify it.

I guess I am generally untrustful of all these guys in Calgary …. I never come away feeling like the customer
Trouble with KMS is they have a manifold of bottles for filling - no compressor - so the pressure you get is the average of the manifold. yup they are not as full. BUT I am customer not a mark when I go there and I know the deal without BS. I have a great idea for the forum - let's buy/make a cylinder filling station. co-op type arrangement.

DHHok

Added a couple hooks, rod holders and paint. I also took the drawer from my roller seat, (which would never stay put) and installed it under the top shelf for consumables. Just need to add the receptacles for the welders, but for the most part, it's done.

Attachments

• Cart4.jpg
    Cart4.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Cart5.jpg
    Cart5.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 13

Gearhead88

Super User
Added a couple hooks, rod holders and paint. I also took the drawer from my roller seat, (which would never stay put) and installed it under the top shelf for consumables. Just need to add the receptacles for the welders, but for the most part, it's done.
I like it , a lot packed into a small package

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
And if I buy a bottle from KMS for $300. it's good for 10 years - that's $30 a year instead of $100/year or whatever a 'lease' costs.
I forget what a recert cost me, $100? Included a new valve and fresh paint. That was 4-5 years ago on a small propane tank, paid $5 for it at a scrap yard

I like the co-op idea, I’d be curious how insurance will view this idea. I’m not sure how gas delivery trucks would deliver to a private site?

Also if it’s a co-op who’s to say tanks need recert? If at new they were good for 1500 psi then as they age only fill 800 psi, type of thing

You’d almost need one certified (or a couple) member to do the filling, unless you could run a course to train everyone

Great idea, I can see some speed bumps

Gearhead88

Super User
And if I buy a bottle from KMS for $300. it's good for 10 years - that's $30 a year instead of $100/year or whatever a 'lease' costs.
My lease for a mig gas cylinder was $120 / year at Air Liquide .
Last month my lease was up for renewal , I chose to purchase instead , that transaction breaks down like this ...... the use of a cylinder is a one time fee and is for as long as you need it = $330 , including gas , refills are $90 , they will provide another cylinder at the time you are getting a fresh refill . I'm not sure if you can pre arrange to keep the same cylinder or not .
They take care of recert's on the cylinders , there are no additional charges.

I signed up for a Mig cylinder and an Argon cylinder .
My Oxy / Acetylene cylinders are now due , I need to decide if I will be keeping them or turning them back in .

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
My lease for a mig gas cylinder was $120 / year at Air Liquide .
Last month my lease was up for renewal , I chose to purchase instead , that transaction breaks down like this ...... the use of a cylinder is a one time fee and is for as long as you need it = $330 , including gas , refills are $90 , they will provide another cylinder at the time you are getting a fresh refill . I'm not sure if you can pre arrange to keep the same cylinder or not .
They take care of recert's on the cylinders , there are no additional charges.

I signed up for a Mig cylinder and an Argon cylinder .
My Oxy / Acetylene cylinders are now due , I need to decide if I will be keeping them or turning them back in .
Oxy / propane is way cheaper to run, if you don’t do any brazing. Plus propane you can get anywhere even on weekends

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I posted this recently. The prices were a bit higher from when I called over a year ago. Did I misunderstand or is there fine print I wonder?
(299-59)=240 cylinder 'rent'. I thought he said 10 years so that's 24 $/year equivalent.

FWIW here are my OxyPro Calgary recent phone call notes.
50CF argon, $299 (initial rental, filled first time), $59/refill thereafter. He said (paraphrasing) tanks are typically 10 years cert but doesn't really matter because you typically just get handed a filled one from pool, so I don't think 10 years means anything related to initial purchase. Maybe he was referring to a self-owned tank, not sure. I didn't ask for sample paperwork /lease agreement but that's a great suggestion. 80CF was something like $300-ish & $110 refill, but I cant read my own scribbles.

DHHok

I posted this recently. The prices were a bit higher from when I called over a year ago. Did I misunderstand or is there fine print I wonder?
(299-59)=240 cylinder 'rent'. I thought he said 10 years so that's 24 $/year equivalent.

FWIW here are my OxyPro Calgary recent phone call notes.
50CF argon, $299 (initial rental, filled first time), $59/refill thereafter. He said (paraphrasing) tanks are typically 10 years cert but doesn't really matter because you typically just get handed a filled one from pool, so I don't think 10 years means anything related to initial purchase. Maybe he was referring to a self-owned tank, not sure. I didn't ask for sample paperwork /lease agreement but that's a great suggestion. 80CF was something like $300-ish & $110 refill, but I cant read my own scribbles.
I waited for the KMS once/yr tank sale. I didn't want to have to fill my tanks very often so I went with the 250cuft for $400 + $120 for the fill.
Your $110 refill for 80cf sounds high, considering I filled a 250 for $120.