• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Welding Cables Discussion

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Have you thought about one of those solar trickle chargers that you can toss on your dash ? I have thought about them for the 2 vehicles I park accross the street to keep the batteries topped up, but im not sure if they really put out enough, I wonder if anyone in here has tried one for like there boat or something

Your persistence just paid off.

No, I have not thought of that. But I AM NOW! I have no slightest idea how well that would work. Need an amp or two I think. The ones that charge the highway signs are way too big.

But yup, that is an idea that is certainly worth looking into. For the truck and for the tractor both. But only one at a time.

Now can I get better jumper cable Clamps? LMAO!

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Your persistence just paid off.

No, I have not thought of that. But I AM NOW! I have no slightest idea how well that would work. Need an amp or two I think. The ones that charge the highway signs are way too big.

But yup, that is an idea that is certainly worth looking into. For the truck and for the tractor both. But only one at a time.

Now can I get better jumper cable Clamps? LMAO!

Yea I'm not sure either, I think it would have to be a pretty good size, they do make some pretty decent size flexible panels now. I have one of those eco-diesel pickups that sits most of the tjme (I checked my accounting...2 tanks in the last year...eek), and I've thought about buying one for it, as I'm really not looking forward to replacing the battery, it's a pretty huge single, it's gotta be somewhere near 1000cca, pricey I'm sure

Anyways, something to look into maybe

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
wonder if anyone in here has tried one for like there boat or something
Yes I use several versions of those and think they are well worth it. I have those small little cheap ones ($30, approx 4"×10") on motorbike and quad that sit most of the year and I have larger ones for vehicles and generators, etc that also primarily sit idle for the most part. I have regularly had batteries get to 10+ years and they still seem to perform fine. A dead or very low charged battery is very detrimental to the battery life.

Im with you on buying batteries, especially 2 at a time! That's the thing I hate most spending money on
I hear you there..... Last year I put three in my dump truck, two in the flat deck and one in the jeep. I also put six tires on the dump truck and another six on the old flat deck truck.
I'm so looking forward to what this year brings.... Lol

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Looks like 2 amps is 21x14 and $80.

Thats a big panel for a dash mount.

The rating is probably full sun at 90 degrees. I'm skeptical of that through a windshield with changing light angles. But easy peasy to use. Just plug it into an unswitched cigar lighter outlet.
Yes no doubt it's output ratings are grossly exaggerated for anything but in a perfect setup, but even half that output over the long term will make a difference in battery state and lifespan, (at least in my experience).

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
I have a buddy who does lots of out-in-the-boonies camping, and he raves about his solar chargers. He has them either connected to his truck, or charging a portable battery pack.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I hear you there..... Last year I put three in my dump truck, two in the flat deck and one in the jeep. I also put six tires on the dump truck and another six on the old flat deck truck.
I'm so looking forward to what this year brings.... Lol

Ouch, big dump truck battery's, that would hurt

Tires I don't mind so much any more, I bought one of those chineese tire machine a couple years ago, shaves quite a bit off the cost of tires, if you have a lot of vehicles and trailers it's worth it, it's actually paid for itself doing atv and trailer tires for people ( I won't do anything that requires me to mount the rim onto the vehicle for someone)

I agree with the statements about the ratings probabaly being optimistic, but even if you could get half an amp into a battery for 8hrs a day that would make a difference over time

And if you live on a farm you could just put the thing on your roof and close the cable in the door, no windshield, no worry of theft

Another more fun thing is a guy on the farm could, pound a post in and mount a full size panel with converter, etc. A panel, converter, etc is a lot cheaper than a set of batteries now days

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Yes no doubt it's output ratings are grossly exaggerated for anything but in a perfect setup, but even half that output over the long term will make a difference in battery state and lifespan, (at least in my experience).

Normally, I would agree, but don't forget this is TWO batteries. Both 850s. We will see.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I have one of those solar chargers on my lawnmower. Where I park it faces south. Never had to boost it again. I've also got a few battery tenders out in the barn for the toys and infrequently used stuff. They work great. When you remember to plug them in. I have a few batteries in stuff that are long past their best before dates, yet they keep working and starting stuff. If I didn't have them plugged in, they'd be toast.

I have a parasitic drain somewhere in the quad, and haven't had time to figure it out. But the battery tender keeps it up to where I can at least start it. That's a warm weather problem to figure out. Doesn't get used much anyway, so boosting it isn't a big deal when I need to. I should put one of those solar ones on the back box.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Another more fun thing is a guy on the farm could, pound a post in and mount a full size panel with converter, etc. A panel, converter, etc is a lot cheaper than a set of batteries now days

Another great idea! I like it!

A lot of trees where I park and a lot of bird poop, but totally doable.

Costco sells some heavy duty cables relatively inexpensively. The catch they are fine strand Aluminum wire, so it really depends on your usage or application. If they are an emergency set great but want good amperage rating they are perfect, if more of a need to function on a more regular basis, coppper wire is the way to go. Over 42 years I think I've give about 15 boosts (not all with my cables) so for me decent high amperage cable at lower cost are worth it. If it was 2 or 3 boosts a year well, copper and the related expense would be justified.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
We use solar panels a lot, electric fencers and a water pump for the girls. The water pump has a large solar panel 2'x4' which if nothing goes wrong it will keep a large deep cycle battery charged. The fence chargers are a rig i built out of cheap solar panels i got at Peavy Mart 2 of them 18"x24" and again they usually keep working if the critters don't get near the units and stomp around and wreck connections. Not sure what the panels are rated at and i'm not going to dig them out of storage till spring.