Sourcing Metal | General Discussion

kylemp

I think that was the price at least. For the amount of material I thought it was a decent price. The pain in the ass part is that they don't cut it and you can't cut it on their property.

Mphenley

Premium Member
Been a while since I chipped in on anything (or logged in, for that matter), but I had a bad experience at federal metals turn into a good experience because of russell metals and another place called metalworks. 6 months ago I was looking for some 0.250 thick 3x3 angle iron, 0.125 2x3 rectangle box, and 0.125 1.5x1.5 angle so I could make a t-square fence for my table saw. Federal had decent prices, no minimum that I recall (other than needing at least one a set length, probably 20') but when I asked where I could setup a couple portable sawhorses so I could cut my pieces to fit in my own car, they wouldn't let me. Since I wasn't about to haul some long angle irons out to the road to cut (and risk being run over), I went drove around a bit in the area, and then called Russell Metals.

While the lady was SUPER helpful, she did mention the $200 minimum (or something along those lines, maybe it was $300?), but also said they couldn't do shorter lengths, at least that day. However, as I was about hang up, she told me to check a place in the highfield industrial area (11th and 46th ave, near blackfoot and glenmore) called Metalworks Canada. After driving over there, I got probably the best customer service I've had with the small metal suppliers. I had to wait a week or so for the rectangle box to come in, but the guy said he was trying to get a bit more stock handy for hobby orders. Price was significantly less than metal supermarket (not hard, obviously), but they would cut to any length, and assist with loading. When I came to pick up the order later, the staff drove the stock right to the back of my car on the forklift, and helped me lift the heavy pieces in.

While chatting with the order desk, he said they're trying to get into the smaller order market, and some of their employees used to work at metal supermarket, and didn't like the MO there. Normally they deal with metal gutters and roofing and what not, so they don't show up on a search of metal stock suppliers, but I definitely wanted to toot their horn a bit. They said they could order anything that's readily available, even somewhat strange sizes or alloys, etc.. and they sell by the foot or by the full length, whatever's easiest for you.

That's probably enough from me, hope everyone had a good holiday season!

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
@Dogpounder also had a good exp there. Somebody else too maybe. How were the prices @mphenly Matt? Care to share your bill with us?
I've notice the prices at metal supermarket seem to go way up the by the pound the less you need. Is it similar?

metalworkscanada.com
1115 48 Ave SE
Calgary AB T2G 2A7
Canada

Murdoch

Hi guys I'm looking for perforated titanium sheet. Not to be confused with wire mesh. I don't need a lot, maybe 2'×2' thanks in advance...GMurdoch

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
Hi, correct me if I'm wrong, but by what has been posted here so far it looks like Federal Metals, and Samuel Specialty Metals would be the best place to buy some stainless steel. I am looking for a sheet of 10 - 14 gauge stainless steel, as well as a 1/4" x 2 1/2" stainless steel flat bar. The last time I stopped by metal supermarket the prices were too high, so comparing prices between Samuel, and Federal which of the two would be the best option?

Deni822

Federal doesn't sell stainless as far as I know so Samuels is your best bet and I've had a good experience with them.

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
I have also just noticed a few other distributors such as Ryerson, and Russel metals. Would they be any better than metal supermarket, or even Samuel?

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
My experience is that Federal Metals is a great spot for a hobbyist to pick up hot rolled steel I would rate them as 9 out of 10 as a supplier and as a scrap yard. Varsteel is a great place to go if you need some big stuff. They have a huge selection and great prices but the yard is busy and it may take them 2 hours to load your truck so i give them 7 out of 10. I don't know much about Samuel specialty metals but I have picked up 4 loads of aluminum from them and they seem great. I don't mind picking up 12 foot lengths but i know that is a problem for most people. I will give them a 9.5 out of 10 for having rock bottom prices and loading my truck up fast. I could easly rate Samuel a perfect 10 if they were willing to cut there full lengths into ease to transport 6 foot lengths. Just my opinions while i am rating places i want to give metal supermarkets a 2 out of 10. the staff are friendly and continue to smile while they take your money. That is the nicest thing i can say about them right now.

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
Does Recon still allow you to pick scrap from their yard, or do they only recycle the metal you bring them?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Does Recon still allow you to pick scrap from their yard, or do they only recycle the metal you bring them?

It seems nobody lets you pick anymore. Recon said no when I was there recently and they were not interested in selling me anything. There is another place right off Deerfoot that used to be called Navajo metals . Now it's something that starts with a E. their sign says they sell metal. 12st and 60ave SE. anybody been there?

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
What about I-Beam? I am starting to source for my gantry crane I will be building next year. I found some great plans online and a design I really like. Will need 20 feet of S-6 x 12.5.

I think Varsteel has it, but they aren't very user friendly to the little guy.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I beam... there were some ads on kijiji... @kevin.decelles mentioned a place he goes that sells to him in fairly big minimums but has everything... Kevin? how are you going to move a beam like that Peter? You need a crane for the crane?

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I beam... there were some ads on kijiji... @kevin.decelles mentioned a place he goes that sells to him in fairly big minimums but has everything... Kevin? how are you going to move a beam like that Peter? You need a crane for the crane?

FYI to Members: when I complete the gantry crane build in 2018, I envision a KILLER deal on my PA engine hoist (w/ air over hydraulic upgrade), which I won't need anymore. So sweet a deal I'm getting a cavity just thinking about it....

Last edited:

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I placed my last two orders at surreway metal, just off glenmore by heather glen golf

Minimum was 400, but it is easy to do that. Very professional sales, pickup was drive through and crane loaded onto trailer

They have some stock they only cut to 20' but some they'll do at 10 or 16

I bought 3/8 plate (4x8 sheet) 1x2x1 bar stock, 4x4 square.....

Did it All via email , scheduled a pickup time and done. They like a few days notice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I placed my last two orders at surreway metal, just off glenmore by heather glen golf

Minimum was 400, but it is easy to do that. Very professional sales, pickup was drive through and crane loaded onto trailer

They have some stock they only cut to 20' but some they'll do at 10 or 16

I bought 3/8 plate (4x8 sheet) 1x2x1 bar stock, 4x4 square.....

Did it All via email , scheduled a pickup time and done. They like a few days notice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Thanks so much Kevin. I'll look into them tomorrow or this week. I know I am into it for 4 small ones at least.

My experience at Varsteel the last few times wasn't pleasant. Probably my fault. I showed up just when the big boys with their 18 wheelers were loading. They wouldn't let me get out of my 3/4 ton w/o a a hard hat or flashing amber light. OK, I get that now and admire it. In fact, I am impressed by these higher safety standards. I like that fact that the you are not allowed on site w/o PPE and flashing ambers for your truck. But it would have been nice if they told me before I entered the yard, or posted on their site. I was trapped for 1 hour between trucks. I called ahead for protocol, but must have got Bubba @CustomerService.

I found Varsteel staff were abrasive and cared little for the small guy. I disliked that I had to pull off road after loading to inspect what I paid $350 for before I knew I got my money's worth. The crane operator didn't understand that the distance between wheel wells on a pickup is designed for 4 x 8 sheets. A big panic ensued and they brought out a waiver I had to sign prior to loading.

P.S. I now wear a reflective vest, always have PPE, and have an amber light on dash for movement in any yard. Lesson learned. My bad. BTW I was at the Wolseley yard a few months ago in SE Calgary and the warehouse staff were very informative: if you go in the yard you need a vest, and a lid if w/i 5M of overhead, and flashing light is preferred. Best of all staff were nice, so I go back regularly.

Last edited: