• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Shop Shed build underway

Shop

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You might be surprised your grain cart likely has lower lbs/Sq. Ft of pressure on the road surface than your diesel pickup truck.

I hear you but I think the wagon is still worse.

I'll grant you that the wagon has bigger tires and the tire patch is correspondingly bigger. But the wagon is 40000 pounds loaded. The truck is about 6000 pounds and prolly about a quarter of the tire patch at 1/2 the tire pressure.

So the truck has 4x the psi on the driveway for tire patch, that becomes 2x taking tire pressure into account but the weight ratio 6:1 takes that to 1/3. I know it's a swag, but that makes the wagon 3x the psi on the driveway.

Forgetting the numbers, all you really have to do is watch the driveway bend when the wagon rolls on it.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The truck is about 6000 pounds and prolly about a quarter of the tire patch at 1/2 the tire pressure.
Your pickup tires has half the pressure of your grain cart? Something is wrong.

Forgetting the numbers, all you really have to do is watch the driveway bend when the wagon rolls on it.
I'd be seriously worried about what your grain cart is doing to your soil in the field then. If you can see your driveway bend id be concerned about heavy duty soil compaction.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I hear you but I think the wagon is still worse.

I'll grant you that the wagon has bigger tires and the tire patch is correspondingly bigger. But the wagon is 40000 pounds loaded. The truck is about 6000 pounds and prolly about a quarter of the tire patch at 1/2 the tire pressure.

So the truck has 4x the psi on the driveway for tire patch, that becomes 2x taking tire pressure into account but the weight ratio 6:1 takes that to 1/3. I know it's a swag, but that makes the wagon 3x the psi on the driveway.

Isnt that the reason behind tractors moving to tracks, more surface area for less compaction? Probably more for no till operations? Even the bigger grain carts are tracks now

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Isnt that the reason behind tractors moving to tracks, more surface area for less compaction? Probably more for no till operations? Even the bigger grain carts are tracks now
Yes tracks can spread out the load and reduce compaction. Compaction is actually more of a concern in conventional tilled soil than no till. No till soil has greater organic matter that buffers compaction issues (among many other benefits).

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Your pickup tires has half the pressure of your grain cart? Something is wrong.

First of all, not many farmers in the East use grain buggies or carts. The fields just are not big enough for that. Instead, we use wagons. Wagons have four wheels not two. No Wagon I have ever seen uses tracks.

Carts and buggies (which do often have tracks or big huge ballon tires) are dragged all over the place following the combine to unload on the fly. This is to maximize combine efficiency. On the other hand, Wagons are parked on laneways at the end or sides of the field and the combine goes to them. Wagons are seldom used on the field. They are too heavy and as you say, the compaction would be terrible. They are only driven on the field when they are empty and even then only to get them into position for a quick exit. Wagons don't dump into another form of transport. They are pulled directly to one of the local licensed grain elevators to be dumped. Typically one or two wagons are pulled by one tractor on the highway to take them to the elevator while one or two other wagons are being filled.

My Wagon tires are all steering tires from concrete mixer trucks that have been recycled to farm use on grain wagons. As I understand it, concrete truck steerage tires cannot be retreaded. So they are ideal for usage on a grain Wagon.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
First of all, not many farmers in the East use grain buggies or carts. The fields just are not big enough for that. Instead, we use wagons. Wagons have four wheels not two. No Wagon I have ever seen uses tracks.

Carts and buggies (which do often have tracks or big huge ballon tires) are dragged all over the place following the combine to unload on the fly. This is to maximize combine efficiency. On the other hand, Wagons are parked on laneways at the end or sides of the field and the combine goes to them. Wagons are seldom used on the field. They are too heavy and as you say, the compaction would be terrible. They are only driven on the field when they are empty and even then only to get them into position for a quick exit. Wagons don't dump into another form of transport. They are pulled directly to one of the local licensed grain elevators to be dumped. Typically one or two wagons are pulled by one tractor on the highway to take them to the elevator while one or two other wagons are being filled.

My Wagon tires are all steering tires from concrete mixer trucks that have been recycled to farm use on grain wagons. As I understand it, concrete truck steerage tires cannot be retreaded. So they are ideal for usage on a grain Wagon.
Ah gotcha ya. My western ag mind automatically pictured a grain cart. Yes there is a world of difference between a grain wagon and a grain cart even though people sometimes use the terms interchangeably. I think your definition and differentiation between the two is a good one.

I bet cement truck tires are very suitable for that purpose. Previously loved big jet/airplane tires are used (or used to be) for NH3 fertilzer tanks that were moved up and down the road in a similar manner to your grain wagon but most of the use was in soft fields. Those tires seemd to last forever.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Phase 2 nearly complete.

They need to finish the driveway before going onto the build. It won't take long before he gets the second installment.

I have included pictures of the concrete which is now finished. From all the rain you can see a few pools remaining. One is in the corner where my garage and conduit is. The trough configuration is being changed in that corner. The other pool will not be there after the building goes up. 2 foot overhang and troughs.

Attachments

• DSCN1648.JPG
    DSCN1648.JPG
    409.2 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN1649.JPG
    DSCN1649.JPG
    464.4 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN1650.JPG
    DSCN1650.JPG
    519.6 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN1651.JPG
    DSCN1651.JPG
    455.7 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN1652.JPG
    DSCN1652.JPG
    379.6 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN1653.JPG
    DSCN1653.JPG
    371.7 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN1654.JPG
    DSCN1654.JPG
    403.8 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN1655.JPG
    DSCN1655.JPG
    508.5 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN1656.JPG
    DSCN1656.JPG
    675.3 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN1657.JPG
    DSCN1657.JPG
    582.7 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN1658.JPG
    DSCN1658.JPG
    615.4 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN1659.JPG
    DSCN1659.JPG
    605.9 KB · Views: 31

Brian H

Super User
We had a sidewalk poured in Ottawa, three years ago. 350 sq ft. Easy access and area was excavated, just needed gravel, forms and cement.

I kid you not, we had two quotes north of $25k. How do you even respond to something like that. I think we need a good old fashioned recession.
Here in SK if you want a driveway/sidewalk done you have to pay $$$ and be prepared to wait months... I priced out to do my driveway 2 years ago and it was $22K....I still have a gravel driveway...

Brian H

Super User
Looking good.

The door on our shed was rubbing this spring, after checking with a level it became obvious that the shed was far from level. Not sure who installed the shed but in the low corner they used a 12" length of flexible black perforated plastic drainage tube to support and level that corner.‍

This is actually fairly consistent with other repairs by the previous owner. I have included an image of his tool box.
There are people who should not own tools...

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
There are people who should not own tools...

My dad was one of them. Loved him to bits but handy he was not. Used a router once to make a small cavity for a lock box in the wall of the log cabin cuz mom was taking too long to get at it. The snake trail that wild router made all over that wall will never get removed as long as the family owns it. You can't look at it without imagining my dad pissing his pants trying to control a tazmanian devil!

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Walls are up.

On Friday, they return to make sure it is all in line and square before fastening it to the pad. They will also finish skinning on that day and figure roof template.. Meanwhile, I had finished facia on the steps.

Attachments

• DSCN1672.JPG
    DSCN1672.JPG
    432.2 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN1674.JPG
    DSCN1674.JPG
    663.7 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN1673.JPG
    DSCN1673.JPG
    417 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN1671.JPG
    DSCN1671.JPG
    560.3 KB · Views: 21

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Finally they returned to do the roof frame. I went with a larger overhang to sort of give me a tunnel to the main shop... I really only have 2 feet not covered from my back door to the shops, I hope that it is sealed this week so wiring can start.

Meanwhile, I got a job programming-set-and running a 5 x 10 CNC router...

Attachments

• DSCN1690.JPG
    DSCN1690.JPG
    602.7 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN1691.JPG
    DSCN1691.JPG
    450.4 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN1692.JPG
    DSCN1692.JPG
    557.9 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN1693.JPG
    DSCN1693.JPG
    399.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
This week they have moved it almost to the end of Phase3. We are now waiting for siding to arrive. I will be able to begin wiring too as the box is placed (but not live). This shed has turned out a lot taller than I expected. More shelves are a good thing..

Meanwhile I finished painting my half of the fence in the dog run.. Still have more sections to go. I also build a gate on the other side of the garage above the tree root.

I also have high pressure to make a sign within less than 1 week out of acrylic, and the damn vacuum table won't work properly... Might have to cut it here on a fixture...

Attachments

• DSCN1700.JPG
    DSCN1700.JPG
    435.4 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN1695.JPG
    DSCN1695.JPG
    398.8 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN1697.JPG
    DSCN1697.JPG
    312.1 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN1698.JPG
    DSCN1698.JPG
    304.2 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN1699.JPG
    DSCN1699.JPG
    224.9 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN1701.JPG
    DSCN1701.JPG
    384.6 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN1702.JPG
    DSCN1702.JPG
    442.1 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN1703.JPG
    DSCN1703.JPG
    593.4 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN1704.JPG
    DSCN1704.JPG
    550.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
No need to. The shed is less than 161 square.
This is a good opportunity to learn the rules for building a house in Canada.

161 square meters or square feet? The visual area should be small, not about square meters. Is it because the required area is not enough to build without approval?

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
This is a good opportunity to learn the rules for building a house in Canada.

161 square meters or square feet? The visual area should be small, not about square meters. Is it because the required area is not enough to build without approval?
In the province of Ontario, our building code changed last year to 160 square feet. I could never get a permit to build any other building due to percentage of land used. Total use of land must not exceed 30 percent. Additional buildings cannot be bigger than the main house.

I increased the height of my building to allow six 2 foot wide shelfs for the entire length and possible two others 2 feet by 8 feet. Theoretically this adds another 128 square feet in storage. This will require a ladder, so upper shelfs cannot be heavy items, unless I devise a way to lift it mechanically.

I am also now working fulltime, which means wiring will have to be done on weekends. Hopefully, I can knock off a lot this Canada Day weekend.