• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Shop Shed build underway

Shop

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
And just for fun if you are willing to live far away in rural eastern Saskatchewan your money goes a long way.

house shop and land. $329K
One or two members on here sold their place and retired to this part of Canada.

SK944436_2.jpg

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
And perhaps you should look at Vancouver areas like Langley, Chilliwack, Surrey, Coquiltlam. You would find more people speaking Mandarin in that part of Canada if that is a concern.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
And perhaps you should look at Vancouver areas like Langley, Chilliwack, Surrey, Coquiltlam. You would find more people speaking Mandarin in that part of Canada if that is a concern.

Single- family detached 2000 ft2 on 3300 ft2 lot in Vancouver area will run between $1.2M to 2.5M depending on location. Quick-n-dirty between $500 to $1000 per square foot construction cost for middle-range locations.

House across the street from me:

I bought this house in 1988 for $95k, then I gave it to a lady who didn’t like me any more:

This is assessed value, if either house was posted for sale at the assessed value it would be sold in three days.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Whatever you do, don't look at Montreal, Toronto, or Vancouver. All three have thriving Chinese communities, but.... with the housing prices they might as well be on Mars with weekly shuttle service included.

Just draw a 1 hour circle around these places (100 km), and look outside that. That won't be perfect but it's as good a rule as any.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Today the floor has set long enough to get these photos. I will wait though till next week to start finalizing this project. I have all the trim and shelf's painted and ready to go. Today I am lifting the small lathe and putting it on skates. I will be putting the chip tray back onto it. I had my welder friend added an 8 inch space for the chips to go on the bottom of that tray.

With these pictures I am showing the floors done, all painting mostly done. I will be paining touchups around the electrical panel and conduit. Also in the last pic, shows excessive plugs on back RH side wall. This is for the 3D printers.

Attachments

• DSCN1778.JPG
    DSCN1778.JPG
    332.9 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN1779.JPG
    DSCN1779.JPG
    265.9 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN1780.JPG
    DSCN1780.JPG
    218.5 KB · Views: 31

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
There should be a construction code requiring every square meter of shop wall must be occupied by an electrical outlet, so if we ever move into a new garage its done right LOL! Nothing worse than cross country cords to reach a few receptacles or needing power bars which can be kind of flakey. As soon as you start parking machines or cabinets or shelves, they start getting less accessible.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
There should be a construction code requiring every square meter of shop wall must be occupied by an electrical outlet, so if we ever move into a new garage its done right LOL! Nothing worse than cross country cords to reach a few receptacles or needing power bars which can be kind of flakey. As soon as you start parking machines or cabinets or shelves, they start getting less accessible.
I have a total of 17 circuits. All 110 plugs are 20 amp with yellow wire. My heater plug is 30 amp orange. Only 15 amp white wire is for the lights. All 4 corners of the building have a 220 plug even though I will only need one in the South East corner. Never know what the future holds.

At my current employer, he does not think at all about expansion or the future, only saving dollars... and so there are overheated extension cords everywhere... (Incredible how pathetic it is !!)

Last edited:

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I have a total of 17 circuits. All 110 plugs are 20 amp with yellow wire. My heater plug is 30 amp orange. Only 15 amp white wire is for the lights. All 4 corners of the building have a 220 plug even though I will only need one in the South East corner. Never know what the future holds.
We changed houses three years ago. PO were a far cry from handy. Garage one 15A circuit, one light bulb, and they covered the stairs from the garage to the basement with a plywood cover So they could store their snow tires there.

Off with the plywood cover, 200A circuit that was for the now removed pool heater rerouted to the garage and a new 200A panel so circuits galore (like you did) lots of lights, welder and generator hook-up and even EV charger ready.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
The shed-office-workspace is now ready for machines. Tomorrow I am placing the small lathe and my drill-press in the room. Here are some photos before it gets full.

Attachments

• DSCN1797.JPG
    DSCN1797.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN1799.JPG
    DSCN1799.JPG
    244.6 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN1800.JPG
    DSCN1800.JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN1801.JPG
    DSCN1801.JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN1802.JPG
    DSCN1802.JPG
    431.1 KB · Views: 27

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I think they call places like that "He Sheds". A "She Shed" would not have shelves like that nor anywhere near that many outlets.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I think they call places like that "He Sheds". A "She Shed" would not have shelves like that nor anywhere near that many outlets.
These shelfs could serve as bunk beds.. !! Anyway.. challenge today is moving the lathe through door with mechanics lift.. After this hurdle, the rest is easy. I will then order the desk !!

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
What is a mechanic's lift?
sorry, it is called a mechanics shop crane... here is the exact one I have. I intent to roll it over to the door on skates, lift the engine half over first, next drop back on a skate, roll forward, lift the tailstock and push though, drop back on skate, roll all the way in, then move the lift in to get if off the skates...

Attachments

• 1697633206589.png
    1697633206589.png
    179.8 KB · Views: 3

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Most people call that an engine hoist. I've heard a few call it a cherry picker but that isn't right. Cherry pickers are a basket on a lift boom you get into to reach high things.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I am having alot of trouble putting the puck in the net on this project. I need to close this and move back onto the main shop. It is so close.. Here is where it is now.. I still have to..

Put the enclosures on the printers near the desk.. As you can see, boxes above on the shelfs(cut from picture). Most of that is remaining parts to assemble.
Put new chuck and toolpost on lathe, clean rust off rest of it.
clear all horizontal surfaces that act as magnets for junk.
Move dedicated CAM, 3D printer computer out to the room..

Attachments

• DSCN1845.JPG
    DSCN1845.JPG
    356.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN1846.JPG
    DSCN1846.JPG
    247.8 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN1847.JPG
    DSCN1847.JPG
    387 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN1848.JPG
    DSCN1848.JPG