• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Shop Shed build underway

Shop

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Tomorrow, I intend to populate my load panel. I am probably going to use all the slots, and have every wall separate with 20 amp yellow wire. The plug near window is a stand alone 20 amp single pole for AC if needed. Really the only white wire I will be using is for the overhead lights. I am adding 20 amp double pole in each corner and one outside. I will photo this as soon as it is in. I do hope to be done by end of Monday.

Unfortunately, I lost my freedom and have to work... although it has good points, like a paycheck !!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Really the only white wire I will be using is for the overhead lights.

I'm not sure what you are really saying here.

But having a few neutral wires in the mix is a good idea. Just because the motor on a given piece of equipment is 230, doesn't mean it won't have a light or a power axis or or or that needs 115. Often times the best way to do that is to tap into one side of the 230 and the neutral which avoids the need for two power cords to the wall or ceiling. So I like to have the neutral in the wall boxes for those times when it's needed even if it isn't always needed.

Also, consider a few ceiling drops for those times when a machine is not against a wall. I like to add a nearby hook to support the cable weight too.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I'm not sure what you are really saying here.

But having a few neutral wires in the mix is a good idea. Just because the motor on a given piece of equipment is 230, doesn't mean it won't have a light or a power axis or or or that needs 115. Often times the best way to do that is to tap into one side of the 230 and the neutral which avoids the need for two power cords to the wall or ceiling. So I like to have the neutral in the wall boxes for those times when it's needed even if it isn't always needed.

Also, consider a few ceiling drops for those times when a machine is not against a wall. I like to add a nearby hook to support the cable weight too.
White wire is 15 amp (14-2), Yellow is 20 amp (12-2), orange is 30 amp (10-2). I will be using 30 for my heater. Even my 110 circuits will be wired with the 20 amp wire rather than the white. I like to have some overkill incase of multiple things on one set of plugs... At this point, the shed is going to be more office than shop. I am putting my 3D print farm out there and scanning studio. Only machines going in are the small lathe an possibly drill press. I am doing extra 220 volt circuits in case of a plan change..

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
White wire is 15 amp (14-2), Yellow is 20 amp (12-2), orange is 30 amp (10-2). I will be using 30 for my heater.

Ahhhh, you mean the cable not the wire. I don't pay much attention if any to the colour of the sheathing. What matters is what's inside it. So your previous note made it sound like you were gunna run 220 without the white neutral.

I dunno what prices are like today, but I remember buying 4 wire 30 amp 230 cable cheaper than the orange or yellow 115 stuff just because it's much more common. Gives you way more options too. Might want to look at that.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Phase 3 still not quite done.

They miscalculated on the siding and have not caulked yet. Since this is still partially done and I am being invoiced, I will only pay part of it... Overall the quality is great, timing has gotten ridiculous. I have hired a different person for insulation, drywall, mud and paint. I also got her wired by a certified electrician. More on the wires soon. Hoping this doesn't turn not a shit-show on the 1 day labor they still are holding out on. I am going to pay about 30 percent on invoice... to make a point about delays.

Attachments

• DSCN1754.JPG
    DSCN1754.JPG
    398.1 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN1755.JPG
    DSCN1755.JPG
    339.1 KB · Views: 23

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Nice looking compound you've got there. Stick a post on the Lh side of the driveway, and a couple eye bolts in the eaves of the garage and shed and you can run a nice tarp/sail between them and have it all under cover.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Nice looking compound you've got there. Stick a post on the Lh side of the driveway, and a couple eye bolts in the eaves of the garage and shed and you can run a nice tarp/sail between them and have it all under cover.
I was originally going to did a tunnel from my basement.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Great idea. I'd be lying if I haven't daydreamed about building a TBM to dig a tunnel out to the barn lol. Too much Colin Furze

I used to dream about building an underground shooting range connected by a 100yrd tunnel!

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
I've seen a lot of videos of myself building houses, but they're all about building smaller houses like hunting houses, small vacation homes, woodland houses, etc. I guess there's probably no very strict approval process to complete.

I would like to know if you can completely build your own housing on your own construction land in Canada? Infrastructure -- frame construction -- wall panel construction -- water and electricity installation -- doors and Windows installation -- interior decoration and other work?

Is it necessary to have qualified professionals to complete the various tasks, or as long as the quality can meet the industry standard and pass the inspection audit?

I've seen a lot of videos of myself building houses, but they're all about building smaller houses like hunting houses, small vacation homes, woodland houses, etc. I guess there's probably no very strict approval process to complete.

I would like to know if you can completely build your own housing on your own construction land in Canada? Infrastructure -- frame construction -- wall panel construction -- water and electricity installation -- doors and Windows installation -- interior decoration and other work?

Is it necessary to have qualified professionals to complete the various tasks, or as long as the quality can meet the industry standard and pass the inspection audit?
You are going to hate us for this....... yes, we have the right to build our houses as long as everything is done to the local building codes and passes inspections. Mains connections, be it water, gas, sewer or electricity is done by the utility companies. In rural areas if municipal sewer is unavailable, then a septic system is installed by a qualified installer.
There maybe some exceptions from one area to another, but we can still do the bulk of the work ourselves.....
I think that you would like it here......... I know that I certainly do....:cool:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

I think it might be better to answer your question differently.

In Canada, if you want to and have the skills, you can build 99.9% of the cost of your home yourself subject to inspection for some things. The fact that you have to pay a wee bit to complete certain portions is trivial in the big picture.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
My cousin Robin's house in Smiths Falls, Ontario. Her husband Tom taught woodworking in various schools. He took early retirement about five years ago, they bought a couple of acres of land. Cleared the land, and built a house. Tom did almost all the work himself, only hiring tradespeople for tasks he couldn't do, or requiring machinery he couldn't rent. Formed and poured the foundation. He did all the wiring and plumbing, installed the furnace and ductwork, poured the slab, broke up rocks. He didn't do the drywall taping and mudding, he hates doing that so he hired a friend.

The table he's sanding is live edge, milled in his garage and glued up from wood cut down when he cleared the property.

There's a little trailer visible in the video, he lived in it for three years while building the house.

Tom-Island.jpeg

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
Is anyone on this forum in the housing construction industry? Who can provide a more complete list of construction costs for a house of approximately 3000 feet? I wish I could do a simple understanding. I also hope to have the opportunity to personally participate in a complete construction process.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Is anyone on this forum in the housing construction industry? Who can provide a more complete list of construction costs for a house of approximately 3000 feet? I wish I could do a simple understanding. I also hope to have the opportunity to personally participate in a complete construction process.
I think @TorontoBuilder could probably talk about the cost per square foot.

The question though is more nuanced as you have three costs, Land, Material, Labor. This would vary a lot depending on where in Canada. I can give you a range of existing homes in Calgary. A single story home of about 1000 - 1100 square feet in Calgary would be $450K to $600K-$650K depending on location & finishing quality. Homes on the prairie's (Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba) would usually also have a basement. This adds another 1000 square feet to your house but when you look at listings for homes they usually don't include the basement in the property size. A 3000 sq foot house is a big house around here. Do you really want one that big? I think you may be including your workshop in that size? Maybe you want a decent sized house 1000 to 1500 sq feet. and a 1500 sq foot workshop. A bigger piece of land than is typical inside a city would be better for a large workshop. Quite a few members here have property outside of cities and a big workshop to go with it. Us city people tend to have some space in the basement, or maybe a 2 car garage.

Any idea where you want to live? I live in Calgary. Edmonton - the other big city in Alberta - tends to have a lot more selection of metal materials, machines, supplies and at lower prices than Calgary. Much of the industrial work in Alberta centers around Edmonton.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/26095215/283147-township-road-231-rural-rocky-view-county
Big house, big shop, and a garage, on 2 hectares of land. $1.2 Million.

A2082916_1.jpg