• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Rose Index

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Boy that threw me for a loop for a moment. My STL files are generally imported in millimeters. I guess these are in inches. Otherwise they are very very very tiny. I switch the import setting and now they seem more like they should.

Out of curiosity, what is the length of the base of the 45 degree one?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
yah Fusion exports in inches if I model in inches which confuses the slicers.

that edge is apparently exactly 2.427" exactly. o_O why I'm not sure. 2.5" seems more sensible.

1667964782697.png

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Ok Forum - I've just had a nice conversation with Timm Rosenthal the inventor and maker of the Rose Index. I explained the challenges of shipping by UPS (or whomever) to Canada and all the darn fees they charge. He was surprised to learn of this practice by the shippers.

His site: https://rosenthalproducts.com/

He does make a smaller rose index out of aluminium with a reasonable price. $45USD.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Hi forum.
I’m putting together a combined order for rose indexes and Timm will ship it USPS. I’m ordering a small steel one and I think another member is too. If you want one please PM me to confirm your order. We will split the shipping evenly. I hope it will be way less but let’s see what Canada post does when it arrives. I’ll ask you to pay me in advance for the index (interac or PayPal or cash) and then I will bill actual shipping once they arrive.

John

Last edited:

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Hi forum.
I’m putting together a combined order for rose indexes and Timm will ship it USPS. I’m ordering a small steel one and I think another member is too. If you want one please PM me to confirm your order. We will split the shipping evenly. I hope it will be way less but let’s see what Canada post does when it arrives. I’ll ask you to pay me in advance for the index (interac or PayPal or cash) and then I will bill actual shipping once they arrive.

John
So to be clear, if I want one I split the over-all shipping cost evenly on a non-prorated basis, regardless of whether people order numerous rose indexers, or only the small aluminum one? Then people would have to pay to have it shipped from central Canadian distribution point (Calgary?) to their final destination?

How will you handle sales tax? Do you know if these are exempt from duties under our new trade agreement?

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
So to be clear, if I want one I split the over-all shipping cost evenly on a non-prorated basis, regardless of whether people order numerous rose indexers, or only the small aluminum one? Then people would have to pay to have it shipped from central Canadian distribution point (Calgary?) to their final destination?

How will you handle sales tax? Do you know if these are exempt from duties under our new trade agreement?

IIRC GST in AB is 5%, so if this is imported into AB is the GST only charged upon import, or is there a provincial sales tax too?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Hi - yah when I said evenly split the shipping I should clarify. I kind of assumed people would just want one and probably the small one. I guess there are different sizes and quantities possible. I'd like to keep it simple. In fairness I will prorate the shipping by the weight of what you order - order one small aluminium one and it would be less than several big steel ones. I'll then tack on what it costs to ship your items to your place in Canada by lowest available canada post rates + the envelope. Or if you're around here (Calgary) you can pick it up from me direct. GST in AB is 5% - I wouldn't expect anything else but if there are surprise duties, handling etc. I would ask you to bear with me and pay your share. Of course this is just me organizing a group buy - I'm not going into the distribution business.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I'm also looking at the small steel unit. Is there anyone else in my area, Vancouver Island, interested? I can be the distribution point, John sends them to me and I'll get them out to those who have ordered them. Should save us all on shipping.

Also, unless John has a special credit card there will be the 2.5% (ish) money conversion fee that needs to be factored in, can't expect John to pay all of that.

John - by interact do you mean e-transfer?
- is using USPS more or less an experiment for Timm? I ask because if there is enough interest here we could do our own order and save the double shipping.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Hi - yah when I said evenly split the shipping I should clarify. I kind of assumed people would just want one and probably the small one. I guess there are different sizes and quantities possible. I'd like to keep it simple. In fairness I will prorate the shipping by the weight of what you order - order one small aluminium one and it would be less than several big steel ones. I'll then tack on what it costs to ship your items to your place in Canada by lowest available canada post rates + the envelope. Or if you're around here (Calgary) you can pick it up from me direct. GST in AB is 5% - I wouldn't expect anything else but if there are surprise duties, handling etc. I would ask you to bear with me and pay your share. Of course this is just me organizing a group buy - I'm not going into the distribution business.
that all sounds good. I will place an order with you just for the small aluminum rose index to make it easy. I'll send a PM. This will save me on shipping

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I'm also looking at the small steel unit. Is there anyone else in my area, Vancouver Island, interested? I can be the distribution point, John sends them to me and I'll get them out to those who have ordered them. Should save us all on shipping.

Also, unless John has a special credit card there will be the 2.5% (ish) money conversion fee that needs to be factored in, can't expect John to pay all of that.

John - by interact do you mean e-transfer?
- is using USPS more or less an experiment for Timm? I ask because if there is enough interest here we could do our own order and save the double shipping.
yah I think USPS is an experiment for him. If there are multiple orders on the island then yes Mike I think a separate order from Timm might make sense. Right now it's just you. Right now we've BC, AB, SK, and ON and of course one order from each province. :rolleyes:

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I was expecting a better response for this tool. When you look at buying hex and square collet blocks decent cheap ones are running for $100 a set, they are bulky and you need a collet the right size to use them.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I was expecting a better response for this tool. When you look at buying hex and square collet blocks decent cheap ones are running for $100 a set, they are bulky and you need a collet the right size to use them.

Make one. It's not terribly hard to do on a RT. I'm surprised John is ordering one when he has a CNC mill.

Last edited:

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I don't think it's a copyright infringement to make one for yourself but it is a copyright item. The man spent time and money developing the unit, they're finished well and being done cnc they should be perfect.
Besides, Christmas is coming! lol

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I don't think it's a copyright infringement to make one for yourself but it is a copyright item. The man spent time and money developing the unit, they're finished well and being done cnc they should be perfect.
Besides, Christmas is coming! lol
exactly.

and while I could knock one off, and even take the design to a local fellow with a cnc mill I'd rather reward the company that designed the tool and it is cheap enough to buy anyway