• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

RF30 Basement Install

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
The first time I pulled off the pulley I used a big puller that I ‘rented’ from Canadian Tire.
(Here they have a program where you buy the tool, use it and bring it back for a full refund. Seriously)

How big was big?

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The first time I pulled off the pulley I used a big puller that I ‘rented’ from Canadian Tire.
(Here they have a program where you buy the tool, use it and bring it back for a full refund. Seriously)

PartSource does the same here in Calgary (at least they did when I did front-end work on my truck a few years ago). They were good quality pullers...

Johnwa

Ultra Member
PartSource does the same here in Calgary (at least they did when I did front-end work on my truck a few years ago). They were good quality pullers...
Both Parts Source and Canadian tire do it In Calgary. Funny thing, the deposit CT charged me was the retail price but they didn’t charge GST. If I’d kept the tool it would have been cheaper than actually buying it.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Both Parts Source and Canadian tire do it In Calgary. Funny thing, the deposit CT charged me was the retail price but they didn’t charge GST. If I’d kept the tool it would have been cheaper than actually buying it.

I didn't know CT did this? Is this something you have to ask to do at Customer Service?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I didn't know CT did this? Is this something you have to ask to do at Customer Service?

I went to the auto parts desk.
I got a brand new puller. Was $117 plus tax. I was given a three day grace period to return it. I didn’t know the program existed but I’m darn sure I’ll use it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Craig, in reference to your photo in post 54, do not use the center drill end of the quill for a centering pressure point for the pullers. this will put all the pressure you use to remove the pulley on one gear tooth in the quill and they aren't very substantial or robust...very good possibility to brake a tooth out of one of the most important parts of the whole machine.
Center drill a small piece of flat bar to place over the threaded end of the pulley shaft would be my way to go.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Craig, in reference to your photo in post 54, do not use the center drill end of the quill for a centering pressure point for the pullers. this will put all the pressure you use to remove the pulley on one gear tooth in the quill and they aren't very substantial or robust...very good possibility to brake a tooth out of one of the most important parts of the whole machine.
Center drill a small piece of flat bar to place over the threaded end of the pulley shaft would be my way to go.
I avoided this problem by locking the quill which took the pressure off the quill gear.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

Oh wow, thanks for the heads up Doug! So leverage off the spindle taper sleeve (threaded part) not the spindle shaft (part where the draw bar sits in) correct?

Craig

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The silver angled one? This instruction manual is next to useless. How do you lock the spindle from turning?

Craig
Yup that's the one.
I don't believe there is a spindle rotation lock.
I've attached the manual for my mill. I expect much of it will apply.

Attachments

• LC30A_manual.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Got her off......

GEARPULLER.JPG

$15 PA surplus puller did the trick. That and a dose of Nut Cracker last night.

PULLEYTAPER.JPG

Didn't even have to apply heat. At first it wasn't moving so I put some tension on it and came in the house to check emails and this thread when I went back out it had popped off all on it's own.

NUTCRACKER.JPG

Yea, now I can ditch that belt cover. That pulley weights 15 lbs.

Craig

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Got her off......

View attachment 9458

$15 PA surplus puller did the trick. That and a dose of Nut Cracker last night.

View attachment 9460

Didn't even have to apply heat. At first it wasn't moving so I put some tension on it and came in the house to check emails and this thread when I went back out it had popped off all on it's own.

View attachment 9461

Yea, now I can ditch that belt cover. That pulley weights 15 lbs.

Craig
I had the cover off of mine and I was very aware and somewhat nervous about the spinning belt just inches from my head.
Since I completing the VFD conversion I have put it back on. Food for thought.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I had the cover off of mine and I was very aware and somewhat nervous about the spinning belt just inches from my head.
Since I completing the VFD conversion I have put it back on. Food for thought.

I'll put her back on if I have the head room in the basement.

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
HEAD.JPG

Well this head sure looks innocent enough with the belt cover removed:rolleyes:

Unfortunately the scale is telling me 90 lbs:oops: 65 lbs under the spindle and 25 lbs under the motor end.

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I pulled the spindle out of mine and it's a solid 10-12 lbs.
It's an easy job and it might make the difference.