RF30 Basement Install

Tom O

Ultra Member
When I get home I'll show how my son and I got the mill, lathe, and shaper into the basement with a princess auto winch with 2X6 wooden frame.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Woo Hoo!!! Now we get @Dabbler 2.0 - aka reversing the process of moving big stuff from ground level to basement!!

Congrats on a new machine Craig!!!!

This whole thing went down faster than that Ont Utilathe parts machine LOL. @thriller007 was taking about coming to Calgary Thurs and then showed up this morning with the mill in his truck. One look and I was sold. Now the fun begins, it's heavier than it looks and still in the bed of my truck. I managed to get the 60 lb motor off (2 HP yahooo) before it started raining. Tomorrow the table comes off and maybe the head if I can figure out how it comes off. Next door neighbour has an engine hoist, so maybe use that to get the head, base and column off the truck?

Last edited:

Tom O

Ultra Member
This is what we used putting machines into the basement it uses the door frames for support. IMAG0007.jpg
The top support is high enough for the winch cable to clear the stairs.
How we used it is on the landing we placed a sheet of plywood 8 feet long and built a box out of 2X6 to support the ply about 3 stairs down, the machine is wheeled/placed on the ply ( near center of gravity ) and the wooden structure is put in place and hooked up to the winch and machine. Then take up the slack and remove the box support and it will easily tip after that just crank it down.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
This is what we used putting machines into the basement it uses the door frames for support.
The top support is high enough for the winch cable to clear the stairs.
How we used it is on the landing we placed a sheet of plywood 8 feet long and built a box out of 2X6 to support the ply about 3 stairs down, the machine is wheeled/placed on the ply ( near center of gravity ) and the wooden structure is put in place and hooked up to the winch and machine. Then take up the slack and remove the box support and it will easily tip after that just crank it down.

I'm not following this at all:confused: Bridge out the top of the stair well with 8' of plywood then remove the bridge support, tip the bridge down and then what?

Last edited:

Tom O

Ultra Member
As you crank it out it slides down the stairs on the plywood the structure is not sitting on the plywood letting it rotate and slide.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Ive never had to put my mill anywhere inaccessible without a breakdown but have had it apart for servicing. I think it will break down to 6 pieces that can be put in your basement with just an ordinary warehouse hand truck.
After servicing the quill in mine a couple weeks ago, I would even remove that from the head to lighten it up a bit. Quill & attaching components might be 20 lbs or so combined and its really a 20 minute job to re-install.
the head removes from the column just by taking that black cover off the column top, now lift the head & gearing for adjustment off all at the same time, just sling it so it lifts straight up without binding.

the only piece that will be awkward or difficult will be the head because of its shape, stripped ,its probably not as heavy as the base.

good luck Craig...wish I was closer to give you a hand.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Yikes..... what have I gotten myself into here:oops:

STILLINTRUCK.JPG

Took me all day just to get it to this state. The table alone weights 83 lbs. I was too pooped to weight the base but it took two of us to lift it off the truck. I should be able to separate the column from the head but that parts seems to be fighting me. Once separated those two pieces should be manageable (I think?). As it stands the head and column are still in the bed of the truck, the rest of it (which doesn't amount to much) is in the shed.

Craig

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Deep breathe , just ask yourself, WWDD? (What would @Dabbler do?)

He’d plan the $$”@& out of a 10 hour day , with every stage planned out and choreographed ...... complete with pictures , some of which you find yourself in because he glamours you like a vampire to help out (and because he’s always ready to help out himself)

Seriously, how do you eat an elephant? One piece at a time

How much do you estimate the final piece weighs ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Deep breathe , just ask yourself, WWDD? (What would @Dabbler do?)

He’d plan the $$”@& out of a 10 hour day , with every stage planned out and choreographed ...... complete with pictures , some of which you find yourself in because he glamours you like a vampire to help out (and because he’s always ready to help put himself)

Seriously, how do you eat an elephant? One piece at a time

How much do you estimate the final piece weighs ?

What's left would probably take 3 strapping men to lift off the truck and would be a gong show getting down the basement stairs. I can move it around and stand it up but that's about it. Separating the column from the head is a must do, and I think it's just 10 year old grease that's fighting me right now.

But ya, one nibble at a time. Get her off the truck into the shed, then one piece at a time into the basement. THEN deal with the biggest problem of all. How to get her assembled and onto a table.

I think my summer is booked now LOL.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Good job so far Craig.

When you say “shed” you mean as in a garage type with roof trusses? If yes, back your truck into it and use a block&tackle attached to a truss(es) to get it off the truck and onto the floor. Or is this where you had the engine hoist in mind? - would work fine I‘d guess.

Once you have the pieces in your basement, you could again use the B&T attached to floor joists to help you set the machine on a table/stand.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
WWDD? An engine hoist, to a moving dolly to the top of the stairs. a stout rope and plywood on the stairs. slide it down with the rope wrapped around a fence post as a safety.

Once down stairs, what @RobinHood said.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
SHED.JPG

Shed and back gate. Note the lack of garage:( It would spoil her view of the park don't ya know.

LANDING.JPG

Back door landing.

STAIRS.JPG

The 12 dreaded steps

SHOP.JPG

And ya, I think I'm going have to do the floor joist and B&T thing here.

Last edited:

Tom O

Ultra Member
The 12 dreaded steps!
That is why I built that structure as a anchor for the winch in the pic the door is shut but it actually fits in the doorframe the winch goes on the top 2x6.
208FC977-3840-4F04-8C93-E4FBC1A0650E.jpeg