• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Restoration/Repairs on a 10" LD Utilathe - Standard Modern

Marc Moreau

Marc Moreau
Si vous avez des conseils ou vidéos sur ce projet je voudrais toutes les voir. Il devrait y avoir beaucoup d'heures de travaille pour avoir réalisé ce projet. Merci de partager avec nous.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Merci Marc pour les compliments, oui, il a fallu du temps pour que le tour fonctionne correctement. J'ai encore des engrenages à fabriquer et d'autres articles.

Je n'ai pas pris de vidéo, merde, ça aurait été intelligent. J'ai plein de photos. Je posterai quelques photos plus tard et verrai si votre tour est le même.

Thank you Marc for the compliments, yes, it has taken a while to get the lathe working properly. I still have some gears to make and other items.

I did not take video, :rolleyes:, that would have been smart. I have lots of pictures. I will post some photo's later on and see if your lathe is the same.

Brent H

Ultra Member
So I had a few minutes and a chunk of cast iron so I decided to finish the taper attachment. The last item required for function was the sliding block that rides the taper bar. This needs to be a solid fit with no play so that your taper is accurate. I chose the cast iron as it has lubricity properties and should wear slowly.
The cast iron piece I had was too large and I did not want to waste a bunch of it milling it down. As DavidR8 knows, cast iron is a messy thing. It is also hard and a biotch to cut. I sawed my piece in half using a 4 inch x3/16 slitting saw and spray coolant. It would have been better to slice it with a thinner saw but that is what I had (or bigger). It took a while and I hand fed it slowly.
5376CAAD-0267-4E7C-A58F-6A1682F6BE56.jpeg
0D6494A3-AF56-4A10-A3E4-E4C6DF334A7D.jpeg
80F016D6-11E6-432F-89D4-859A10AC0CA4.jpeg
After that I plowed out the centre with a roughing end mill and then cleaned things up with an1-1/4” end mill. Final width was to be 1.375” for 0.0005” clearance. A snug slide fit. In the middle is a 0.040” relief on either side for oil to collect and allow a nice slide. This was milled in with a 1/2” end mill.
BB8F20BA-BC97-426D-97C9-6BAA007EC97F.jpeg
36F8B54A-653F-4E3C-8015-077BE3414B02.jpeg
04DD6D2E-48B7-4193-BC9C-6803C0C080BB.jpeg
33C4D566-6F70-4387-95F2-A4E87BFD72E2.jpeg
BA6A8130-65CC-4FB6-A599-95A89BB700B4.jpeg
So it works perfectly! I was able to use it to make a #2 morse Taper for a mandril used in a project for YYC. Adjustment is super easy with an allen key and a stubby 11/16”. The block is a crazy smooth fit and the oil actually gets a suction going so pulling it straight off it tough.
Everything was super great that day until I noticed some play in the lathe compound and it was sticking a bit near the end of its travel..........hmmmmmm

Brent H

Ultra Member
So with regards to the compound - the gib was striking the very corner of the hand wheel bracket and could not tighten up to take out slop. So I ground a bit off of the end to allow clearance. At that point I noticed that the slot in the gib for the the adjustment screw was loose and would allow the gib freedom to move a bit back and forth - so snug when moving into your work and then sloppy when moving back. I decided to do a bit of fitting - well, that showed that the gib needs a whole lot more work than I imagined. A half inch was removed from the small end and a new slot ground in. Then the fitting - this will develop over the next day or so as my prussian blue arrived yesterday with an ink roller.
For fun I wrote to Ryder about a new gib. I received word back this morning: replacement gib $334.76 USD or about $450 CDN o_O

I will be attempting to make my own....

8BB2849A-9BCF-4172-8981-4146C520C0B0.jpeg
4235BB52-9AFE-46EC-B172-5A73E80DD106.jpeg
B21FACF3-B407-4C0A-B174-91825FF68E1B.jpeg

Brent H

Ultra Member
Salut Marc

votre “compond” est-il le même ou votre ”compound” utilise-t-il des “set screws”?

John Conroy

Premium Member
I think they don't really want to sell you a gib. They would probably have to make one.

Nice work on the lathe Brent. I'm enjoying watching your progress.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Cool RobinHood.

I will follow up on that - my old gib is not good - the angle is off a few degrees and the taper is off 0.020” at least.

Marc Moreau

Marc Moreau
So with regards to the compound - the gib was striking the very corner of the hand wheel bracket and could not tighten up to take out slop. So I ground a bit off of the end to allow clearance. At that point I noticed that the slot in the gib for the the adjustment screw was loose and would allow the gib freedom to move a bit back and forth - so snug when moving into your work and then sloppy when moving back. I decided to do a bit of fitting - well, that showed that the gib needs a whole lot more work than I imagined. A half inch was removed from the small end and a new slot ground in. Then the fitting - this will develop over the next day or so as my prussian blue arrived yesterday with an ink roller.
Pour le plaisir, j'ai écrit à Ryder à propos d'un nouveau gib. J'ai reçu un mot ce matin: gib de remplacement 334,76 $ USD ou environ 450 $ CDNo_O

Je vais essayer de faire ma propre ...

View attachment 7537
View attachment 7538
View attachment 7539[/CITATION]
la pièce que j'ai de besoin est sur le chariot transversal (cross feed screw ) numéro de pièce 30 (cross feed screw nut ) A-30372 je peut faire presqu'un demi tour complet pour être accoté d'un coté ou l'autre.

Marc Moreau

Marc Moreau
The Lathe re-assembled:

View attachment 5604

View attachment 5605

View attachment 5606
View attachment 5607

Gear box not yet on on the above pic

View attachment 5608

View attachment 5609

Things that didn't pan out:

Original 3 jaw chuck is pretty much scrap. The jaws would need 100% re-doing and there is damage to the D1-3 spindle pins that make it a bit sketchy to use. I bought new 3 and 4 jaw chucks, machined the back plates and fit them to the lathe. I turned a test shaft and shimmed the head stock in to less than 0.0002" of run out over a 5 inch stick out. The above pic is a quick test turning and it worked out quite well.

The Tail stock needs to be line bored to be on the money. I will be making up some jigs and giving that a go over the next couple months. With the tailstock quill out to 3" it will wobble quite a bit ( over .010") I have a new over size quill I machined up out of some 4140 so I have to thread it (1/2 x10 Tpi ACME LH) and I have the #2 MT already bored. It needs some oil passages and a 1/4" groove for the locking arrangement.

I will be re-making the main gear at some point and will also remake the bronze feed gear and fine/coarse selector rod and the feed bevel gears.

The lathe is running now quite well and although it has a few "more noisy" speeds it is a super great addition to the shop. I have used it to make up some 1" x 14 tpi levelling feet:
View attachment 5610

and some lathe chuck keys

View attachment 5611

J'ai beaucoup plus de photos et d'autres choses, mais je vais m'arrêter ici --- c'est un jour pluvieux, donc obtenir ce post était un beau projet! [/ QUOTE]
Je ne sais pas si je suis a la bonne place ? comme ont vois sur le chariot transversal (cross feed screw ) numéro 30 dans le livre( cross feed screw nut ) pièce # A-30372 . la pièce n'est pas visible ,elle se trouve au bout de la flèche. si vous savez comment je pourrais l'acheter toute infos est Bienvenue Merci marquemoro@hotmail.com

Attachments

• 20200205_185914.jpg
    20200205_185914.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200205_185930.jpg
    20200205_185930.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 0
  • copie.jpg
    copie.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 0

Marc Moreau

Marc Moreau
[QUOTE = "Brent H, poste: 19965, membre: 1269"] Salut Marc

votre «compond» est-il le même ou votre «composé» utiliser-t-il des «vis de réglage»? [/ QUOTE]
Non je pense que j'ai mal identifié ma composante. Moi mon jeux est sur la vis du chariot transversal.

Marc Moreau

Marc Moreau
ACME threading, the on going saga.....

Part of my restoration is to make a new tailstock quill and then line bore the tailstock and fit the new quill. I made a quill already out of 4140 and bored in a #2 Morse Taper and then also bored the hole at the aft end for 9/16 -8 LH ACME threads for the existing hand wheel. Cutting those threads in the 4140 ended up a failure as I found that given the right (or wrong really) engagement of the thread feed, it can occasionally lock in about a 1/4 thread out - argh! - yes, that means making a new 1/2 nut assembly at some point. It only takes once and the threads are not really that great .....

Today I proceeded to make a new cross feed nut. This nut is also 9/16-8 LH ACME. The original nut is bronze but I made the new one out of Brass. I machined the nut blank on the mill out of a 1-1/2” piece of round stock that I cut to length and then faced to final length on the lathe. (About 1-3/8”).

View attachment 5845

Adding a chamfer:
View attachment 5846

After making the blank I marked it for the thread holes (one for the feed screw and one for the cross feed retaining screw. I mounted the blank in the lathe using a dead centre between the punch mark in the blank and the live centre in the tailstock. I then used a dial indicator against the dead centre and adjusted the 4 jaw chuck to remove any run out showing on the dead centre. I drilled out the blank for an OD of about 0.4180”. Then I was off to ACME threading.

The final result:

View attachment 5847

J'ai utilisé le fil ACME de la poupée mobile comme guide et il s'adaptait parfaitement, bien ajusté mais fonctionnait d'avant en arrière facilement. La vis d'alimentation croisée était serrée au début, mais une fois sur la partie la plus récente des filetages, elle était bien ajustée.

View attachment 5848

Une fois remonté, j'ai vérifié le jeu et celui-ci était passé de 0,025 / 0,030 "à 0,004". Yee Haw !!

J'ai également acheté une nouvelle fraise en bout à 60 ° et je l'ai utilisée pour nettoyer les queues d'aronde de la glissière supérieure. J'ai usiné un total de 0,007 ”d'un côté et 0,004” de l'autre - juste dans le coin serré de la queue de la colombe. D'un côté, j'ai eu quelques zones où l'outil coupait un peu plus que d'autres et les côtés de la queue d'aronde de la glissière supérieure étaient agréables et lisses. Il fonctionne très bien maintenant avec le nouvel écrou et l'usinage de nettoyage.

La prochaine étape sera l'alésage de la contre-pointe ....... [/ QUOTE]
Ceci devrait être la pièce qu'il me faut d'après la photo

Brent H

Ultra Member
Je ne sais pas si je suis a la bonne place ? comme ont vois sur le chariot transversal (cross feed screw ) numéro 30 dans le livre( cross feed screw nut ) pièce # A-30372 . la pièce n'est pas visible ,elle se trouve au bout de la flèche. si vous savez comment je pourrais l'acheter toute infos est Bienvenue Merci

I made this part for my lathe. Is your threaded rod 9/16 -8 Left Hand?

J'ai fait cette pièce pour mon tour. Votre tige filetée 9/16 -8 est-elle gauche?

Marc Moreau

Marc Moreau
Oui je pense que c'est en plein ça. Yes I think you have it this part is in cast iron ??? Cette pièce semble être en fonte ???

Attachments

• 20200209_095422.jpg
    20200209_095422.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200209_095430.jpg
    20200209_095430.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200209_095509.jpg
    20200209_095509.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 0

Brent H

Ultra Member
J'ai fait ma nouvelle en bronze. J'ai un robinet à gauche 9/16 à venir. Je peux t'en faire un nouveau, mais pas avant environ 6 semaines?

I made my new one out of bronze. I have a 9/16 left hand tap coming. I can make you a new one, but not for about 6 weeks ?

Marc Moreau

Marc Moreau
J'ai fait ma nouvelle en bronze. J'ai un robinet à gauche 9/16 à venir. Je peux t'en faire un nouveau, mais pas avant environ 6 semaines?

I made my new one out of bronze. I have a 9/16 left hand tap coming. I can make you a new one, but not for about 6 weeks ?
I am gone a try to do it if I fail I let you know Thank You I really appreciate.