• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Repair a very old vertical drilling machine

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
Today, I received the delivery of atomic ash and started the repair work before painting. However, I had no experience and used atomic ash for the first time. I blended too much and soon solidified, which was a lot of waste.

Then found that this is a very not easy job, need skilled technology accumulation to do well, well, this is also a learning opportunity, who can guide the technical points? IMG_8660.JPG IMG_8662.JPG IMG_8679.JPG IMG_8681.JPG

This is really a hard job for me!!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The plan is to use cast glue to repair the damage, and then lathe it to maintain its color and strength. But I still want to see a picture of your restored workbench, okay?

When you say cast glue, do you mean epoxy?

If so, I considered that advice but assumed you would want a steel or cast surface to work on.

What work bench are you referring to? Are you maybe confusing me with someone else?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
What is ‘atomic ash’? Sounds like a comic book movie! Something is not translating. I think you mean auto body filler?

The translation tools can be almost as funny as our members!

Glad you asked, cuz I was wondering too. I was thinking maybe epoxy.

a smile

Premium Member
Does the fill need to be completely covered before painting? I find it difficult. It requires very thick coverage
IMG_8689.jpeg

If I am understanding you correctly, you really only want to fill in the holes to bring them to the same level as the surrounding metal. Once smoothed out and sanded, cover it with primer before final paint.

a smile

Premium Member
If I am understanding you correctly, you really only want to fill in the holes to bring them to the same level as the surrounding metal. Once smoothed out and sanded, cover it with primer before final paint.
Yes, you are right!

I tried to apply putty to cover the low spots and pits, but because of the lack of experience, it felt very difficult, difficult to smooth, this is my first time. I will try my best to learn and be perfect
QQ图片20230519211838.jpg

Ironman

Ultra Member
Have others been hammering on the end of the one shaft to remove the morse tapers? Are you meant to snap the quill back up to remove them? I always liked the slot for the wedge myself.
There is a slot in the barrel where you put in a wedge and tap it to release the taper. Where the two holes are; on the picture of the lathe repairs, that is where the slot is supposed to be. A guy that is an expert with a hammer like the previous operator, probably mushed up the slot, and then welded it up and machined it, drilled the holes for top and bottom of the slot, and then decided it was too much work to hand cut the web between the holes, so you got no slot. A mill will do the slot quickly.

Wow on the table! Never seen one that bad! ( I know, sheltered life). Not sure if I would heat the whole thing and fill with brazing rod or bolt another piece of plate on it and machine flat, would machine flat after brazing anyway.
I'd hunt down the guy who did that and push that table up into an area where the sun don't shine. I think adding a plate to the top is probably the best solution. probably 6mm plate is enough.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I'd just fill the holes with epoxy resurface again on the lathe, and then add a new plate on top of the old one, cut the slots from the back, resurface one more time, and call it done.
+1

If you can find it at a decent price epoxy with ceramic fill is extra resistant to abrasion.

a smile

Premium Member
Grind the paint in semi-hardened state
2023_05_25_08_46_IMG_8848.JPG

Fix the defect again
repolish
2023_05_25_10_14_IMG_8868.JPG

repaint
2023_05_27_17_21_IMG_8893.JPG

There are serious orange streaks. Who has encountered the same situation? What's the reason?
2023_05_27_17_20_IMG_8890.JPG
How was it finally resolved?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I do not consider myself a paint expert despite running an automotive paint research facility for years. I hate painting.

That said, the issue you are asking about is caused by either using a paint that deliberately wrinkles or more likely by putting on too much paint. You can fix it by sanding it down till its level and then applying MUCH LESS paint in many layers and letting it cure a bit between layers instead of so much at once. If it still wrinkles then you will need to get a different paint.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
How can you NOT be an expert if you ran an automotive paint research facility????

Seems like quite the contradiction doesn't it!

But it's really not. Quite often the experts know more than the fellow that manages the operation. I always tried to learn as much as possible from the real experts but also to appreciate and respect the fact that sometimes the folks who were really good at what they did, didn't want the responsibility of managing the business. It's always good to know enough to know how little you really know.

Sometimes there are people who can do both, but more often than not, they can't.

a smile

Premium Member
I do not consider myself a paint expert despite running an automotive paint research facility for years. I hate painting.

That said, the issue you are asking about is caused by either using a paint that deliberately wrinkles or more likely by putting on too much paint. You can fix it by sanding it down till its level and then applying MUCH LESS paint in many layers and letting it cure a bit between layers instead of so much at once. If it still wrinkles then you will need to get a different paint.
I think I know the problem, as you said: 1. The last paint didn't cure completely. 2. The coating is too thick.

I still lack enough patience. This paint will take more than a week to cure -------- I just have to wait for it to cure
Thank you very much for your advice