• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Repair a very old vertical drilling machine

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
Some time ago, I was exhausted by Amazon, and finally began to normal. Now I began to return to the status of iron filings flying.

A drill machine acquired about 3 years ago, finally had time to start renovating. Edge to repair the process on the edge, I don't know whether can perfect repair, also hope to get experienced support, thank you for the first -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

This is the original look
2023_05_13_09_41_IMG_8447.JPG

The workbench was badly damaged
2023_05_13_09_42_IMG_8450.JPG

The motor was tested to be serviceable, but the gearbox was apparently broken
2023_05_13_10_57_IMG_8463.JPG

I hope it can be restored, and it must be beautiful. So dismantling it is a necessary process.
2023_05_14_09_12_IMG_8495.JPG

The lifting arm is apparently out of service, temporary repairs will allow it to complete the lifting function - May 14, 2023
2023_05_13_15_22_IMG_8471.JPG
2023_05_13_15_55_IMG_8481.JPG

Let's break it down into some big parts
2023_05_14_09_21_IMG_8502_看图王.JPG

Clean and polish the base
2023_05_14_09_26_IMG_8504.JPG
2345截图20230515123319.png 2345截图20230515123429.png

The process of dismantling the gearbox in between
2023_05_14_14_40_IMG_8517.JPG 2023_05_14_17_57_IMG_8531.JPG

2023_05_14_12_23_IMG_8514.JPG

Buy putty, paint, and airbrush in advance,
Clean and clean the gear box after disassembling (it will be updated continuously as of today)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Welcome back @a smile! Glad to hear you survived Amazon! Please do tell us about your experience there!

I think a drill press was one of the first rebuilds I ever did some 55 odd years ago. It's a floor stand belt drive model and I still use it. In fact, I just added wixie laser cross hairs!

But I don't paint. I hate painting. So nothing I do ever gets painted. In most cases, that means it still looks original, which is often an advantage too.

Ironman

Ultra Member
I have the exact same Nider NI64 drill. It is a wonderful drill. I have cut a gear after the lowest speed gear lost 3 teeth. When I had the head apart for the gear cutting I found I could understand the Swede's logic with the dry gearbox but all the bearings were open as well. I replaced the bearing with new sealed ball bearings. I have more info and parts schematic also.
Is it 3 phase?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Looks like a Taiwan copy of Swedish drill press - two speed motor is the main thing to worry about as it is next to impossible to replace.

Good job fixing it up!

a smile

Premium Member
Glad to see you back posting again....
Looks like a good start on what appears to be a pretty stout drill press. Looking forward to seeing how it comes out.
I will continue to finish it because I have been short of drill press. I use the DECKEL-FP3 when I need to punch a hole. It's easier to use a drill press.

a smile

Premium Member
Welcome back @a smile! Glad to hear you survived Amazon! Please do tell us about your experience there!

I think a drill press was one of the first rebuilds I ever did some 55 odd years ago. It's a floor stand belt drive model and I still use it. In fact, I just added wixie laser cross hairs!

But I don't paint. I hate painting. So nothing I do ever gets painted. In most cases, that means it still looks original, which is often an advantage too.
I'm sorry to tell you that I just solved some rules of Amazon and some brand trademark problems, but the product still hasn't been sold. Although I reduced the price, there is still no sales record. I doubt that Amazon is in the bidding advertising ranking. I will not compete for advertising. I hope to accumulate customers by relying on reliable design and good reputation. Let it go for a while. I still care about my hobby.

The drill press is geared. I am not sure if the gear change system can still be used. I will try my best to restore its main function and make it more convenient to use. The cross 3 cursor is a very useful feature that I would love to add.

In my understanding, the drilling machine mainly carries out some drilling operations with low requirements, and cannot complete high-precision positioning drilling, and the drilling machine with relatively high requirements on the aperture cannot be expected.

Now I rely on SW software, which can help complete some data calculation. Manual drawing is a test of skills and experience -----

a smile

Premium Member
I have the exact same Nider NI64 drill. It is a wonderful drill. I have cut a gear after the lowest speed gear lost 3 teeth. When I had the head apart for the gear cutting I found I could understand the Swede's logic with the dry gearbox but all the bearings were open as well. I replaced the bearing with new sealed ball bearings. I have more info and parts schematic also.
Is it 3 phase?
Your drawings are exactly what I desperately need ----- I would appreciate your generosity if you could share them.

I was worried that I would have to spend more time trying to put it together in order in the post-assembly, which is a frustrating process, thank you in advance

a smile

Premium Member
Glad to see you back posting again....
Looks like a good start on what appears to be a pretty stout drill press. Looking forward to seeing how it comes out.
This is my home (https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com)---- I may travel from time to time, but I'll come back to a place I can count on. During this period, the wooden flooring was also laid on the ground of the yard. The green grass you see is the result of the work half a month ago.
IMG_8276.JPG IMG_8286.JPG IMG_8301.JPG IMG_8464_看图王.jpg
I like green, trees, lawns, even if it is overgrown ----

Last edited:

a smile

Premium Member
All parts of transmission IMG_8605_看图王.JPG IMG_8614_看图王.JPG IMG_8609.JPG

I would like to know what is the main function of the broken thread part of the spline rod?

IMG_8616_看图王.JPG

Ironman

Ultra Member
for a smile, Here you are.
Boise Crane and Wilton Strand are two companies that marketed the Nider in the US. The mashed up threaded end of the splined shaft would have been to attach the MT3 taper socket.

Attachments

• NIDER NI64 parts.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 11
  • NIDER NI64 instructions and spares.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 15112012557.jpg
    15112012557.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Boise Crane (Strands) Drill Press catalog.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 5

a smile

Premium Member
Today, it was found that the spindle core has been very badly damaged. After inquiry found very expensive (unreasonable), or own repair it!
IMG_8624_看图王.JPG IMG_8626_看图王.JPG

Welded flat tail limit

IMG_8645.JPG

Lathe correction
IMG_8653.JPG

result
IMG_8637_看图王.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8624_看图王.JPG
    IMG_8624_看图王.JPG
    375.3 KB · Views: 1

Bandit

Ultra Member
Glad to see you back also.
Have others been hammering on the end of the one shaft to remove the morse tapers? Are you ment to snap the quill back up to remove them? I always liked the slot for the wedge myself.
Wow on the table! Never seen one that bad! ( I know, sheltered life). Not sure if I would heat the whole thing and fill with brazing rod or bolt another piece of plate on it and machine flat, would machine flat after brazing anyway.

Last edited:

a smile

Premium Member
I'd just fill the holes with epoxy resurface again on the lathe, and then add a new plate on top of the old one, cut the slots from the back, resurface one more time, and call it done.
The plan is to use cast glue to repair the damage, and then lathe it to maintain its color and strength. But I still want to see a picture of your restored workbench, okay?

a smile

Premium Member
Glad to see you back also.
Have others been hammering on the end of the one shaft to remove the morse tapers? Are you ment to snap the quill back up to remove them? I always liked the slot for the wedge myself.
Wow on the table! Never seen one that bad! ( I know, sheltered life). Not sure if I would heat the whole thing and fill with brazing rod or bolt another piece of plate on it and machine flat, would machine flat after brazing anyway.
I have never used this kind of drill press before and do not know the principle of its up and down bit, but I have a preliminary scheme; Now the tail end of the spline rod is seriously damaged, ready to be cut off, re-welded, processed thread, and then increase the spring to suspend it, need to remove the taper handle to press down to exit, do not know whether it is feasible, need to be tested after installation