Prusa mk4

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Hello, my name is John, and I have had a 3D printer for a week. I haven't powered it up yet. I stare at it, and it stares back at me, daring to try it out. I feel the sinister glow eminating from it - It has plans for me, I know it!

Or it might be that I haven't run a power bar to it yet - the machine has no on/off switch... I did buy a brand new spool of PLA for it, and I am intending to look at the manuals for it....

But, you know, John N just bought something wonderful and that has caused a rush on the new mobile base for his horizontal bandsaw, the son of a good friend needed some wiring, and I've been setting up for another VFD install for a member. So it might be that I'm a little busy.

Or I might be a little lazy. I'll let you know ;)

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Ohhhh that's a heck of a good idea for the 3,291 files I have without handles!
This was the 6" version. Any of the 6" files I have rattle loosely in it. The 8" ones are tight and don't go in all the way. However I suspect that if I heated the end to PLA melting temperatures I could push it in and let it lock on that way.
The 3 handles are all meant for flat files. The holes are the wrong shape for triangular or rat tail files.

Just had to try it though. As the handles are all the same size except for the file tang hole I'm tempted to modify the step file to accept an insert. Maybe even one with coarse ACME threads like 4 TPI. Inserts would print a lot faster and one could have a larger selection for different file tang shapes.

Perry

Ultra Member
This was the 6" version. Any of the 6" files I have rattle loosely in it. The 8" ones are tight and don't go in all the way. However I suspect that if I heated the end to PLA melting temperatures I could push it in and let it lock on that way.
The 3 handles are all meant for flat files. The holes are the wrong shape for triangular or rat tail files.

Just had to try it though. As the handles are all the same size except for the file tang hole I'm tempted to modify the step file to accept an insert. Maybe even one with coarse ACME threads like 4 TPI. Inserts would print a lot faster and one could have a larger selection for different file tang shapes.
I had a few issues with some of my 10" files not fitting They were too loose. I needed to use the 8" modeled handles for them. They are all Nicholson files. but the tangs seem to be a little different in size. Is there a standard for the file tangs that could be referenced? I would like some of these handles for the round and triangle too.

The person who designed these included the Solidworks model,but I can not open it. It is from a newer version. An insert set up like the genuine Crescent Nicholson ones would be a great.

First I need to find a reference for the tang sizes.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I had a few issues with some of my 10" files not fitting They were too loose. I needed to use the 8" modeled handles for them. They are all Nicholson files. but the tangs seem to be a little different in size. Is there a standard for the file tangs that could be referenced? I would like some of these handles for the round and triangle too.

The person who designed these included the Solidworks model,but I can not open it. It is from a newer version. An insert set up like the genuine Crescent Nicholson ones would be a great.

First I need to find a reference for the tang sizes.
I took the 10" step file and exported it as a rev 203 which is an older format? Exported in millimeters. See if you can import that.

Attachments

• FileHandle_Nicholson_ergo_10in-203.zip
    201.7 KB · Views: 1

Perry

Ultra Member
I took the 10" step file and exported it as a rev 203 which is an older format? Exported in millimeters. See if you can import that.
Thank you.

I can import the Step or the STL from the original files. Just not the Solidworks SLDPRT. I could also import your conversion.
I have to do the feature recognition and most likely a bit more work to get moving along.

I spent a little time looking researching tang dimensions this evening. No luck yet.

Need to finish up another little project first and I will get back to this. :) Handle.jpg

EDIT: Just thinking. Might be easier for me to head down to Lowes and purchase one of the Crescent Nicholson handles. They come with 4 inserts that I could grab the dimensions directly off of. ;)

Last edited:

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Thank you.

I can import the Step or the STL from the original files. Just not the Solidworks SLDPRT. I could also import your conversion.
I have to do the feature recognition and most likely a bit more work to get moving along.

I spent a little time looking researching tang dimensions this evening. No luck yet.

Need to finish up another little project first and I will get back to this. :)View attachment 43764

EDIT: Just thinking. Might be easier for me to head down to Lowes and purchase one of the Crescent Nicholson handles. They come with 4 inserts that I could grab the dimensions directly off of. ;)

My AlibreCAD can import the SLDPRT file too so I could do more work with that instead of the imported STEP file. I agree that inserts into a stock handle are a better way to go.
1707205628657.png

Perry

Ultra Member
You can import the SLDPRT with AlibreCAD. Interesting. Can you export it in "Parasolid" (*.x_t) format?

This might get me a step ahead.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Thank you. It worked the same as the STL and STEP. I though it would give me all the features.(As it top plane, front, and right.) That is ok. Still should be pretty easy to work with this.

Thank you John.
The CAD people appear to be very reluctant to show the actual files they use to store the details. In fact Alibre is, how can I say it politely, so bad that they refuse to support older versions in their save as. So they can load an old version into newer software but cannot save from newer software as an older version. So once you save a file with say Rev 27 it cannot be loaded with Rev 25.y

Now that is of course to force everyone to update to the newest version at a cost of course. OTOH, my Alitium PC layout software can save a file as Version 4.0 with loss of some features. And that 4.0 can be loaded by Protel 99SE. I did that just the other day.

I believe that one of the reasons MecSoft discontinued embedded support using AlibreCAM files is because a change in file format every year meant they had to change their software every year to correctly interpret the drawings. Add to that the occasional null index issue and likely finger pointing back and forth for whose fault that might be.

Anyway, the long and short is no one else can read Alibre .AD_PRT files because they change every year. What's exported doesn't have any of the detailed information. Since importing a STEP file doesn't provide that saving it as a .x_t file doesn't give you anymore.

Perry

Ultra Member
Makes sense. I was hoping it might work. Overlooked the part where you were importing from a STEP.

I ran into this issue once before and the person with the newer Solidworks was able to export as .x_t and I was able to import into my older Solidworks. Seemed to work without issues. It was not me that figured out this work around.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
The SLDPRT file is what I exported as .x_t. But it looks like importing it doesn't provide any extra information. It still comes in as one part.

Here's an Alibre AD_PRT file exported as .x_t and it does have a number of operations to create the part. So if you import this is it just one item like a STEP file or is it a bunch of operations to create the part.

It's possible that Alibre first converts it to the equivalent of a STEP file and then exports it in the appropriate format.

Attachments

• DrillJig.zip
    35.3 KB · Views: 1

Perry

Ultra Member
The SLDPRT file is what I exported as .x_t. But it looks like importing it doesn't provide any extra information. It still comes in as one part.

Here's an Alibre AD_PRT file exported as .x_t and it does have a number of operations to create the part. So if you import this is it just one item like a STEP file or is it a bunch of operations to create the part.

It's possible that Alibre first converts it to the equivalent of a STEP file and then exports it in the appropriate format.
It imported with all of the operations and I can easily edit or modify them.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Hmmm. Well that means either the imported solidworks file was treated like a STEP file or was in fact a STEP file, saved as solidworks file.
If someone is running solidworks and has a part that has a number of operations it would be interesting to see what Alibre does with that.

In either case one could still do this to it.
1707242289724.png

Attachments

• FileHandle_Nicholson_ergo.zip
    409 KB · Views: 1

Perry

Ultra Member
Hmmm. Well that means either the imported solidworks file was treated like a STEP file or was in fact a STEP file, saved as solidworks file.
If someone is running solidworks and has a part that has a number of operations it would be interesting to see what Alibre does with that.

In either case one could still do this to it.
View attachment 43778
John, did you go any farther with this? It's the weekend and I might play with it a bit.

I was thinking. With your threaded handle. A person could spray the inside with silicone(or any release agent) and fill it with epoxy (maybe the puddy type) insert a file handle and wait. (Just thinking even melted leftover PLA scraps poured in would probably fill that in real nice......faster then 3D printing the inserts. and custom to each file handle.)

I took the time to write Crescent Nicholson this week to see if they could provide me with some specs on the file tangs. No reply, yet.

Decided to purchase one of the Nicholson handles with the inserts to get the dimensions off the inserts. It comes with four inserts. The back of the package shows the recommended inserts for which files. Well, it's not that accurate. Sometimes the files fit, sometimes no. Each insert is labeled with a number on the end for identification. The reason I bring up the labeling is while searching thru my files for different types to try, I found one file that had come with a handle when I purchased it. Further examination shows this handle actually has an insert. It is labeled #5. Fits the file great. None of the 4 inserts that came with the package are a #5. I got a 2,6,10 and 12. My guess is there are more inserts out there to fit files as required. :( Probably no easy one fits all approach.

The inserts do appear to be a little softer rubbery type material. I have some TPU here. Might try to print an insert with that as I get further along.

Hopefully I get some time to play this weekend. :)

20240210_085319.jpg 20240210_085453.jpg 20240210_085113.jpg

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I think tangs are defined by angle & width. Maybe there is a defined standard somewhere, but they seem to vary all over the map, even among same brand. They basically stamp the body & then carry on with the business end. I have never seen grinding evidence on the tang. Then you get a euro file & its different thickness & angle again. Or say a round file which is square taper section, not rectangular.

I've used both the wood handles (force fit) and the blue plastic ones (hardened thread insert semi threading on tang) & they are pretty good. Not taking anything away from 3DP custom handles but just weigh the cost & effort against buying them. I've used the cheaper woodies as-is on up to 10" files with no issues. Or with JB weld on stubborn or oddball files & they are considered permanent in my mind. Or take a saw & belt sander to them if you really hate the handle. But that's kind of another PITA with 3DP parts from my limited experience, the materials can be off-standish to most common adhesives. The plastic has kind of inherent self-releasing properties.

link here (no affiliation)