Prusa mk4

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I see Prusa has a new printer out which upgrades their MK3S+ to MK4. I've abandoned my order for a Prusa XL (ships by Christmas? maybe) and switched the order to the MK4. It's quite a bit less expensive and it should get a multi material option soon. It's faster than the MK3S+ which is a nice improvement. I want to fab an enclosure too to make printing PC and Nylon a lot more practical. I can print small things in PC but bigger stuff like motor mounts just warps and pulls off the bed. Anyone else thinking about the MK4?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I was super excited by the Bambu offerings. One slight hitch was the "walled garden", but it wasn't my first consideration. Early models had a few glitches (understandably). So I waited, (finances also being a consideration) and then Prusa Mk4 came out. I became interested in the market response to the Bambu, and how much better the responding printers might get.

I know waiting can become a never-ending game. I'm confident that this generation of printers will offer the speed and value I've been waiting for,

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I was super excited by the Bambu offerings. One slight hitch was the "walled garden", but it wasn't my first consideration. Early models had a few glitches (understandably). So I waited, (finances also being a consideration) and then Prusa Mk4 came out. I became interested in the market response to the Bambu, and how much better the responding printers might get.

I know waiting can become a never-ending game. I'm confident that this generation of printers will offer the speed and value I've been waiting for,

Sounds exactly like my story. I know I want one but I don't want to have to customize or fix or tune anything, and I'm not paying several grand for one. It has to be easy to use and work reliably right out of the box, and keep on working after making 2 or 3 hundred useful gizmos downloaded from various places. I can wait till that perfect printer is available.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Sounds exactly like my story. I know I want one but I don't want to have to customize or fix or tune anything, and I'm not paying several grand for one. It has to be easy to use and work reliably right out of the box, and keep on working after making 2 or 3 hundred useful gizmos downloaded from various places. I can wait till that perfect printer is available.

i have 3 printers, other than the project printer they are all reliable and easy to use out of the box, and cheap ones, sub 400$, the time to jump in is here!

The most effective way i have found to cut print times, even more so than jacking up the print speed or putting in larger nozzles......buy 2 printers!....and print over night, who cares if it takes 12 hrs if your sleeping for 8 of them!

just my thoughts :D

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I bought the CHT high flow nozzle in 0.8mm. I can print much heftier and stronger parts in less time. You do lose detail but often this is irrelevant. I can turn the speed dial up to 130% perhaps more and with a much bigger layer height print times go down significantly. For the below job it is a wrench tray - precision is not so important.
Top print is 0.8mm nozzle 3h 52 minutes.
Bottom print 0.4mm nozzle with 0.2mm layer height 8h 35 minutes
Top print can probably be reliably printed at 130% speed so 3 hours.

But I do agree with you Ryan - having two printers when you are printing a bunch of parts makes a huge difference.
1690340190130.png

1690340245795.png

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
But I do agree with you Ryan - having two printers when you are printing a bunch of parts makes a huge difference.

I like the wrench tray..... I'd like to put precision blocks, gauges, and metrology stuff in their own holders so they don't keep trying to touch each other while I am busy trying to get some work done in peace and quiet....

The most effective way i have found to cut print times, even more so than jacking up the print speed or putting in larger nozzles......buy 2 printers!....and print over night, who cares if it takes 12 hrs if your sleeping for 8 of them!

I can barely get my head around buying one of them..... And you two guys want me to get two? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

That'll be like waiting until you are 100% ready to have kids.....no one would end up with any!

Jump in, the water is great!

This is the only comment on here that really resonates with me. My bride and I spread our kids across 20 years.

But a certain level of caution is warranted before I dive in to that uncharted unfamiliar cloudy water. A lot of people got kids too soon before they knew what they were signing up for.....

I was probably choosing my words unwisely. Instead of saying "I can wait till that perfect printer is available", I should have said that I can wait till a printer arrives that rings all the bells loudly enough so I can hear and see them through clear clean water.....

I promise I'm not gunna wait forever for the best of the best ultimate 3D printer, but I don't want to be a test guppy for the manufacturer either. I have way to many projects on my plate to be fiddling around with a printer that only works when I hold my tongue just so.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I find that frequently I want to print something which does not exist or other peoples versions of it don't quite work for me. So my modelling and CAD skills are essential to be able to effectively use the printer. I don't want to print marvel characters or other doo dads and knick knacks. I want to print practical useful stuff usually as part of some other project. You've seen many of them on the forum.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I'm with @Janger , the 3d printer is much more fun and useful printing out your own models

Layout tools, test parts, msc holders or special one time fixtures, the 3d printer is worth it's weight in gold for those kinds of things

Proxule

Ultra Member
I am on an Ender 5 S1 and klipper and find my non print moves at 300mm plenty fast, What sort of speeds is the upgraded mk3s getting ?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
The MK4 Multi material upgrade (filament switcher) is available from Prusa to order with August delivery. I went ahead and ordered one. It will manage 5 spools of filament. Apparently you can now switch filament and have the filament colour purge happen inside your part reducing waste. I'm not sure exactly why I want this or what I will do with it. I don't print models of grut or starwars characters (generally anyway). Water soluble supports is an interesting idea. what else?

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Larger or more densely infilled prints that will use more than what is available on a single spool are possible due to the automatic spool changeover. Good for using leftovers on spools if you're not fussy about colour changes. If I'm printing gridfinity bins or wrench holders I rarely care about a color change halfway though a part. The AMS for the Bambu also holds dessicant packs and seals quite well to keep the hygroscopic filaments dry. Handy if you print with different materials often. Easy switching from PLA to PETG or ABS, just keep them in the switcher and they're ready to go.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Prusa just released new firmware for the MK4 and an updated slicer. The one thing I didn't like about the MK4 was the incredibly slow upload speeds of a gcode file over WiFi. These new releases are an amazing upgrade. First the slicer outputs a compressed GCODE file for transfer - it's about 2/3 smaller so that adds 300% more performance to the upload - AND they also have done something to the way the file is transferred making it pretty fast now. It must be a factor of 10 faster at least. I read on other forums people thought the problem was the hardware - but they solved it with a software upgrade. One model I am printing a lot was 15MB and I usually could not upload it successfully, my laptop would go to sleep, or the browser didn't get enough cycles, anyway it would fail. I had to resort to sneaker net down to the basement. I just timed it - that file is now down to 5.7 MB and it took ~60s to upload. Or about 100K a second (what is that 1.7Mbit/s?). Still not all that fast - but now this feature is usable and useful.

What do I do with my MK3S+ which is not on the network - I could upgrade it to a MK4, kinda pricey, or maybe get an Octoprint setup going. ?

Does any one else have a MK4?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I am on an Ender 5 S1 and klipper and find my non print moves at 300mm plenty fast, What sort of speeds is the upgraded mk3s getting ?
I'm not sure about the non print moves - but print moves on the MK4 with the new input shaping performance increase speed are now 100 or 150mm/s for most of this print. PETG. 0.20mm layer height. What does the Bambu do? I'm curious I expect it's faster.

1702246816654.png