• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Playing around with Fusion 360

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The down side of Alibre is that each time they do a yearly 'enhancement' or 'bug fix' they change the revision.

Backward in-compatibility is an unavoidable result of things getting old. True for computers and software too.....

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Backward in-compatibility is an unavoidable result of things getting old. True for computers and software too.....
That's why my Office 2010 can still read office documents and spreadsheets etc. created by newer versions? The decision to not have a "Save As Version" with the potential loss of information is always possible and much as people might not like Microsoft they've had that feature for a really long time. Go into Alibrev and the Export file and look at all the different revisions for other software packages that they support.

But no support for older revisions of Alibre files. It's a choice that has nothing to do with things getting old. The sooner we stop buying that crap from suppliers the sooner we will get stable, faster, smaller software with fewer bugs rather than constantly changing software that requires a maintenance agreement just to fix all the stuff they introduced with "upgrades to enhance your user experience"

1695778994054.png

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I kind of agree with you @gerritv that 2D sketches in Fusion are often a hinderance. One notable problem is there is no timeline in sketches so it is harder to edit and make revisions. It took me a long time to get to the point where I start with 3D sub parts and build up my project from those building blocks. I think our training with drafting in school can sometimes make it harder. Although I am not panning drafting. Drafting is the most useful thing I think I studied in high school. Touch typing is another good one.

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
CNC - Never (point SW Maker)
Job Out - Unlikely (point SW Maker. TBC, possibly DXF or other 2D formats still allowed which works for laser/water cutting)
Stress & Heat Transfer - Prolly (limited to nil in SW-Maker)
Nice drawings like yours - Yes (point SW Maker)
Sectioning & interference - Yes (point SW Maker)
2D Work Drawings - Must have (as above point SW Maker)
3D Printing - Must have (according to link yes, but for some reason I thought no, .STL was a blocked format. Maybe I'm mixed up with .STEP or .IGES or something else)

https://www.reddit.com/r/SolidWorks/comments/tnfvy4

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
That's why my Office 2010 can still read office documents and spreadsheets etc. created by newer versions?

My sometimes feeble attempts at humour are not always well thought out. It was really a shot at you not your computers or your software. I just added that for the "huh?" effect.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
CNC - Never (point SW Maker)
Job Out - Unlikely (point SW Maker. TBC, possibly DXF or other 2D formats still allowed which works for laser/water cutting)
Stress & Heat Transfer - Prolly (limited to nil in SW-Maker)
Nice drawings like yours - Yes (point SW Maker)
Sectioning & interference - Yes (point SW Maker)
2D Work Drawings - Must have (as above point SW Maker)
3D Printing - Must have (according to link yes, but for some reason I thought no, .STL was a blocked format. Maybe I'm mixed up with .STEP or .IGES or something else)

https://www.reddit.com/r/SolidWorks/comments/tnfvy4

Thanks for that Peter. I'm struggling so much with Fusion that it is prolly worth trying SW if they have a free trial.

Upnorth

Just some more thoughts Gerrit. Could it be that your learning difficulties were imposed by Fusion itself and not necessarily 3D CAD itself?

To be frank, I was a fighter jet pilot in Catia. I could literally do anything. But I'm still struggling to learn Fusion 360. It simply isn't intuitive to me. Maybe you experienced Fusions barriers in a different way. But perhaps it is Fusion itself that is at fault and not where we each came from.

Regardless, I am determined to learn Fusion because it's the only affordable tool out there that can do what I need it to do.
When I first trialed fusion 360 I was also using solidworks at the same time. I just could not adapt to fusion. Things seemed backwards compared to what I was used to. Since I knew I would not be able to have access to solidworks for much longer I needed a plan. I just stopped using solidworks and switched 100% to fusion. I downloaded some plans for steam engines (Elmer's?). From that point I would just pick one and model it 100% in Fusion. When issues arrived I would google the problem. No matter what issue you have someone else has already solved it.

If you need random tips NYCCNC on youtube has tons of videos.

I never really got a lot of training in 2D drawings. I have a basic understanding of them but get lost when translating them into a 3D object. Often the 2D drawing uses dimensions that are not convenient for converting to a 3D model. Good thing about CAD is that there is usually 3 ways to dimension or create an object.

One problem I had was that I would get stuck part way through a drawing because I did something in a poor older and deleted something that I needed to reference for a later dimension. Turns out you can roll back the slider and temporarily restore the deleted reference point. Saved me a lot of restarts.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
One problem I had was that I would get stuck part way through a drawing because I did something in a poor older and deleted something that I needed to reference for a later dimension. Turns out you can roll back the slider and temporarily restore the deleted reference point. Saved me a lot of restarts.

I have not had good luck with rolling back like that. I usually end up with a bigger mess. LOL!

Good thing I'm also stubborn.

Upnorth

Crankshaft for the radial engine. I originally drew this in solidworks. Out of curiosity I imported the assembly into Fusion 360 to see if it would work. It worked flawlessly. This surprised me because solidworks won't even import a newer version of something drawn in it's own software. I will probably redraw it in Fusion 360 to keep things consistent.

Crankshaft.jpg

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Crankshaft for the radial engine. I originally drew this in solidworks. Out of curiosity I imported the assembly into Fusion 360 to see if it would work. It worked flawlessly. This surprised me because solidworks won't even import a newer version of something drawn in it's own software. I will probably redraw it in Fusion 360 to keep things consistent.
I did the same sort of thing with Alibre when I first started. I already had my Gingery Lathe made from castings etec. But for an exercise I took the 2D drawings and sketches from his book. Then from the 3D part even able to recreate the 2D drawing. Sometimes it's easier to learn something by drawing something that already exists than to start from scratch for something that doesn't.

Attachments

• GingeryCompoundCasting-Drawing.pdf
    18.2 KB · Views: 2
  • GingeryCompoundSlide.pdf
    285.4 KB · Views: 2

Upnorth

I did the same sort of thing with Alibre when I first started. I already had my Gingery Lathe made from castings etec. But for an exercise I took the 2D drawings and sketches from his book. Then from the 3D part even able to recreate the 2D drawing. Sometimes it's easier to learn something by drawing something that already exists than to start from scratch for something that doesn't.
I find fusion to be easy to work with from scratch for anything that was designed to be made on a manual mill. Same with solidworks.

Upnorth

Do you give on-line lessons?

Not kidding...
Sorry no online lessons. I could probably show you how to get by if you lived in my part of Canada. Maybe try drawing one of the steam engines I mentioned and then figure out what part you are stuck on. They maybe I could give better advice.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
As for the comment about fusion being better for stuff you're going to manually machine That's all in how you start modeling. In your head, you're already machining the part and that comes out in how you model it. I do the same. Most I think do the same. For most of the stuff I do, I'm constrained by some mating geometry, and then model the rest of the part around how I'm going to remove the material from the starting stock. 90% of the time, I'm using subtractive modeling methods.

For product design, where I'm trying to make a standalone object that is aesthetically pleasing and ergonomic etc, I use additive modeling (push pull style) and freeform shapes, or surfacing. THEN figure out how I'm going to make it. This is usually 3d printer type projects, or casting stuff with a lot of curves. If it needs to be machined, there will surely be a few revisions when I get to the programming side, due to machining constraints etc.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
To be truthful I still find Fusion360 totally mind boggling. Can't get my head around the way they do things. I think that's why, when Alibre first came out, I found it suited my way of thinking. Suddenly 3D parametric drawing was so simple. For @Susquatch I suggest you try what @David_R8 did which is get the free 30 day trial for Alibre Atom and work thorugh the tutorials. You may find that their approach also just clicks for you.
If you want totally free but again more like Fusion360 (and for me very confusing) there's FreeCAD.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
At one point in your life walking was beyond your ability, but one step at a time......

It might help to remember / know I was a Catia Jet Fighter Pilot once upon a time.

As for the comment about fusion being better for stuff you're going to manually machine That's all in how you start modeling. In your head, you're already machining the part and that comes out in how you model it.

That's more or less the way I always used to do it. The end goals (whatever they were) were always in my mind whether it was a prototype, a production part, a casting, a, forging, or a machined part or combinations thereof. I certainly agree with your approach. Sometimes we were just trying to understand performance in the real world like crash worthiness so models and testing to calibrate the models were very exhaustive and evaluated a multitude of what-ifs. That was interesting and rewarding work.

But today I am old, half blind, hard of hearing, slow, grumpy, stubborn, and opinionated. I just want to model a few simple parts and assemblies - nothing fancy.

To get a rough idea of where I am, I'm doing a three part lathe stop with a few screws and an indicator mount right now.

Most of @jcdammeyer's comments resonate with me, but then there is my stubborn side that isn't ready to give up on Fusion just yet.

Maybe the throttle will kick in some day soon, but for now, the engine won't even light let alone growl.