• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

parallels

Tecnico

(Dave)
On the Rock, there are a few I could mention too. There is an oceanside research station north of St. John open to the public that has deep ocean water piped into it and pressure controlled tanks so you are glimpsing the ocean bottom as if you were there. South of that is a small tiny self serve self cook restaurant built into the brown rock cliffs overlooking the ocean. Fresh fish in the restaurants of St. John Harbour are a treat. The lobster bisque is to die for. Battery Hill overlooks the ocean in a way few other places do. Once in a while giganormous ice burgs the size of a whole town float by. Point Fierce (not sure that's right) South of St. John is the eastern most place in North America. Sometimes whales breach in the ocean off shore. Beautiful views and a nice walk in some of the cleanest and sweetest air you will ever breathe.

Is that research station part of DFO? Sounds interesting.

George Street in Saint John's and Argyle/downtown Halifax are a lot alike, lots of pubs/square foot. I visited Signal Hill (overlooks The Battery neighborhood) in early November, great view but oh what a cutting wind - talk about fresh air! You're thinking of Cape Spear, (most eastern part of NA), we visited there also, with the rain & wind we decided not to hike up to the lighthouse, probably not much to see in that weather.

I'll have to scratch my head a bit about off the beaten track places (you take for granted what's in your back yard) but for a good scenic hike Cape Split on the Bay of Fundy is well known. It's about 4 hours with great scenery especially when you get to the end. You also get to see the highest tides in North America (50 ft), head out for the hike and the fishing boats are all neatly moored by the pier, when you get back, they're all sitting on the sea floor, high & dry.

You probably have done the Cabot Trail but have you done it on a motorcycle? Pretty awesome view, not like being in a car! In Cape Breton a highlight probably most in this group would appreciate is the Alexander Graham Bell museum in Baddeck. Lots of details & models about the many inventions he and his team put together.

If you're up for a bit of adventure you can do tidal bore rafting (Zodiac) and a dine out on one of the sand bars in the river while the tide is out. That's on a river off the bay of Fundy (remember - high tides). There's also an outfit serving fine dining on the bottom of the Bay of Fundy, while the tide is out of course!

Like @Chicken lights says, the Gaspé is very scenic, we did the loop a few years ago.

@LenVW I thought seriously about checking out Castle Rock today but a 3 hour hike in 33C weather didn't sound like as much fun as it sounds, that'll go on the to do list.

So, who's coming to visit?

D:cool:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

George Street in Saint John's and Argyle/downtown Halifax are a lot alike, lots of pubs/square foot. I visited Signal Hill (overlooks The Battery neighborhood) in early November, great view but oh what a cutting wind - talk about fresh air! You're thinking of Cape Spear, (most eastern part of NA), we visited there also, with the rain & wind we decided not to hike up to the lighthouse, probably not much to see in that weather.

I'll have to scratch my head a bit about off the beaten track places (you take for granted what's in your back yard) but for a good scenic hike Cape Split on the Bay of Fundy is well known. It's about 4 hours with great scenery especially when you get to the end. You also get to see the highest tides in North America (50 ft), head out for the hike and the fishing boats are all neatly moored by the pier, when you get back, they're all sitting on the sea floor, high & dry.

You probably have done the Cabot Trail but have you done it on a motorcycle? Pretty awesome view, not like being in a car! In Cape Breton a highlight probably most in this group would appreciate is the Alexander Graham Bell museum in Baddeck. Lots of details & models about the many inventions he and his team put together.

If you're up for a bit of adventure you can do tidal bore rafting (Zodiac) and a dine out on one of the sand bars in the river while the tide is out. That's on a river off the bay of Fundy (remember - high tides). There's also an outfit serving fine dining on the bottom of the Bay of Fundy, while the tide is out of course!

Like @Chicken lights says, the Gaspé is very scenic, we did the loop a few years ago.

@LenVW I thought seriously about checking out Castle Rock today but a 3 hour hike in 33C weather didn't sound like as much fun as it sounds, that'll go on the to do list.

Thank you!

Don't know what DFO is. I was there before I retired. At least 20 years ago.

Spear sounds right.

Bookmarked.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member

Baddeck and the Alexander Graham Bell Museum is the highlight for the inventors out there.
Lots of records and displays about his hydroplanes and speed tests on Bras de Or.
Bell‘s original home sits on a hill overlooking the lake.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
But I do, having had to deal with them on a breakwater project a few years ago ;-). https://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/index-eng.html

Ah, I see! So this is a federal department. For some reason, I thought the research station was provincial.

Anyway, I found it on Google Maps.

Ocean Science Centre
(709) 864-8100

It's called the Ocean Science Centre Research Station.

If it's ok, I'll send you a PM about your breakwater issue. My entire neighbourhood is having a shoreline erosion issue. Don't know if you can help but I am not leaving any stone unturned.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I got my parallels today (remember 'parallels'??) I'm very impressed with their look. I got my on Amazon.ca for about the same price, free shipping, etc.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
My 1-2-3 Blocks arrived yesterday at HomeDepot in Cambridge.
Wrapped in oil soaked paper and cardboard.
Just need to drill and tap some pieces of 5/16” Dia. CRS for connection anchors.
All good !!