parallels

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Travers & KBC & others sell a version of what @RobinHood is referring to. That's what I was mentioning in my prior post, you need to read the fine print. Most people think they are just one way based on proliferation of the China variants. (We seem to have strayed far away from parallels again).

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I cant find Renzetti's video anymore for some reason, but here is Tom Lipton's version of same

Crap. He stole my invention before I invented it! LOL! Reluctantly, I guess that makes it his...... (Insert pouting face here).

I believe I already mentioned the relief on the screws and the universal connections. All too late. Saves me a lot of work though! Best of all, I get some really cool blocks without all the work! Darn good outcome at my age!

A bit disappointed though. I had kind of looked forward to the math of determining the number of possible combinations for a pair of 123 blocks to make sure the method worked.

Really nice blocks......

Thanks @PeterT !!!

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Nice little vise !!
Do you have DROs to confirm XY coordinates ?
My ‘I-Gaging EasyView’ were inexpensive and keeps my dimensions accurate to .001”.

LenVW

Premium Member
You should be able to fasten a couple ‘location pins’ to that slotted table. That way you have registers that will return the vise to a ‘0,0‘ position. Maintaining consistent datums will save alot of time during machining operations.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
You should be able to fasten a couple ‘location pins’ to that slotted table. That way you have registers that will return the vise to a ‘0,0‘ position. Maintaining consistent datums will save alot of time during machining operations.
The only thing it follows is a deep center punch mark. It's sooooooo loose.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
View attachment 25890@LenVW how would you add a reference point on a round column mill? It will change every time you move the table?
I should re-read some of the round column mill drill threads

A little over kill for a drill press, but here you go.

Last edited:

LenVW

Premium Member
With the Round Column you are going to have to add ‘rigid’ linear guides that would keep the table orientation in the same vertical plane.
Use ‘C’ channel that is anchored to the machine base. If you have slots in the channel, then the table guides can travel along the slots while the channel pivots on the base anchors.

David-R8’s - wall anchor utilizes the shop structure to restrict the movement of the mill components while allowing movement vertically. The clamping collar Is keyed to the Round Column (similar to a key in a sprocket and drive shaft).

The best solution will depend on the arrangement of your specific machine.

LenVW

Premium Member
Sorry, I thought it looked to be against the wall.

I guess he is utilizing a mechanical linkage that is tight enough to act as a hinged restrictor that is kept aligned with the column clamp ring as the machine column reference.
That is what is required to maintain your position relative to the spindle similar to the pivoting guide rails that can be fastened to the table.
Linear Guide Rails are a similar application of the principle.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have a round column drill press and a round column mill/drill. So I can easily see why someone with a round column mill or drill press would want to have a machine that doesn't rotate on the column. It's a pain in the butt.

However, it has never stopped me from doing anything I ever wanted to do. If one is careful about their order of operations, it's not impossible to do anything and everything one might need to do.

I am just not inclined to believe it's worth the effort to stabilize the rotation. If it is really that important, I think it's easier to just trade the machine. That's not diminishing the accomplishments of many who have overcome this challenge. It's just saying that I'm not gunna worry about it for my machines.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Susquatch Chickenlights is trying to use a X-Y table he got for his drill press.

Yes, I know that. I have one on mine right now. It's been on my drill press for about 30 years.

It was my first "mill". It's still there. It still works. It's done a gazzillion projects in its time. I never tried to stop it from rotating. I just worked around it.

I'm just saying that trying to stop the table (in my case or head on others) from rotating is more trouble than I think it's worth.

Am I missing something?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Yeah the drill press even with the xy vise is not a mill. The xy is for positioning to drill. It’s convenient. A laser cross hair is also nice to use. On a drill press I’m not sure the alignment issue when moving the table height is worth trying to solve.