• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Ontario member sound off

Tom O

Ultra Member
True but at least a pm can be used I think a mandatory city location is all you need. One thing that I’d like to see is if someone puts up their address for a meet&greet or such like it would be visible for a given period not till the end of time.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
True but at least a pm can be used I think a mandatory city location is all you need. One thing that I’d like to see is if someone puts up their address for a meet&greet or such like it would be visible for a given period not till the end of time.

Not sure this helps as much as we would like. Web crawlers take snap shots of time and record changes. Nonetheless, it is a step forward to delete such things.

As far as I know, search engines and the like cannot access PM's. So perhaps the solution to the meet & greet issue is a PM to all attendees.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
It seems to be a common desire for members of CHMWs.
I still think that listing the Town or Village nearest to you helps members meet and help each.
Maybe it would lead to ‘Local Chapters‘.
More chances of sharing tools and specialties.

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
Just noticed this thread. Welcome to all Ontario members near and far.
How many members in Ontario here are still active on the forum? Does anyone know?
I'm just outside Mount Forest and happy to share.

5 days a week for me is CNC mill and lathe. Manual machinist on weekends and some evenings throughout the spring summer and fall until retirement.

If other members would like to borrow, buy, sell, trade materials, tooling etc. I would be up for that to help others. I normally buy endmills, taps, and carbide drills in 10+ quantities for the discounts when busy.
I also keep most scrap and out of tolerance parts for the local metal art guys into welding as well.

Just noticed this thread. Welcome to all Ontario members near and far.
How many members in Ontario here are still active on the forum? Does anyone know?
I'm just outside Mount Forest and happy to share.

5 days a week for me is CNC mill and lathe. Manual machinist on weekends and some evenings throughout the spring summer and fall until retirement.

If other members would like to borrow, buy, sell, trade materials, tooling etc. I would be up for that to help others. I normally buy endmills, taps, and carbide drills in 10+ quantities for the discounts when busy.
I also keep most scrap and out of tolerance parts for the local metal art guys into welding as well.
There's no official count of Ontario members as far as I know. There was talk at one point of creating a map online but as I recall it got bogged down in a debate about privacy concerns.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
There's no official count of Ontario members as far as I know. There was talk at one point of creating a map online but as I recall it got bogged down in a debate about privacy concerns.

It might be interesting to try though.

It should not take forever to go through the membership list and locate everyone who was willing to admit living in Ontario and perhaps even sort them by last visit. It won't be perfect but prolly better than nothing.

I can't do it right now, but if nobody tackles it between now and whenever I can, I'll see what I can do. Maybe even dump the membership to a spreadsheet and include the other provinces.

Yes, I remember the privacy concerns in that discussion. As I recall nobody was overly concerned about using the first 3 letters of their postal code.

Last edited:

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
If you cannot list the village that is closest to you . . . how do you expect to be invited to meet any other members that are closeby. I have been in touch with a few that I can meet up with because my work allows me to travel much of Central Ontario and the GTA. If we can form lists by county, it could help to form more ‘local’ meetings and create project assistance.