• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Ontario member sound off

Boltgun

Boltgun here, real name is Mark. I am just south east of Barrie Ont. New to the forums. New too machining. My son is novice Tool and Die lad. I am retired but have lots of years left in me to work and have fun at something I should have gotten into A LONG TIME AGO! LOL Looking to learn. I am on the hunt for a mill that wont break the bank and doesn't need a huge amount of work to get it running properly.

Looking forward to learning from everyone where possible.

Boltgun

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Boltgun here, real name is Mark. I am just south east of Barrie Ont. New to the forums. New too machining. My son is novice Tool and Die lad. I am retired but have lots of years left in me to work and have fun at something I should have gotten into A LONG TIME AGO! LOL Looking to learn. I am on the hunt for a mill that wont break the bank and doesn't need a huge amount of work to get it running properly.

Looking forward to learning from everyone where possible.

Boltgun
There’s a ton of used mills on kijiji right now, @Brent H is close to you and would help you find a good deal, I’m sure

trlvn

Ultra Member
I kindof watch the online auctions for machining stuff. The last couple, prices have been through the roof! I think a bunch of people are bored during the lockdown and they're willing to pay anything to get a toy.

Craig

bluecoast

Hey... new person from Brantford. Hardware engineer by day, have mills and lathes, interested in getting into toolmaking in basement shop (desperately looking for small surface grinder)! And of course always interested in networking with others to trade stuff I don't need for other stuff I do need.

trlvn

Ultra Member
Hey... new person from Brantford. Hardware engineer by day, have mills and lathes, interested in getting into toolmaking in basement shop (desperately looking for small surface grinder)! And of course always interested in networking with others to trade stuff I don't need for other stuff I do need.
Welcome!

There are a handful of us in Ontario; I'm in Oakville. With the industrial heritage of that area, you may have better local pickings than some of us.

What kind of toolmaking are you interested in? Do you have heat treat equipment?

Craig

Brent H

Ultra Member
@bluecoast - there were a few small surface grinders on kijiji - Toronto Area. They were not expensive. Depending on what is wrong could be good deals.

But..... I think I see your want add - bench top unit ....... hmmmm. Only saw one of them and it was off the list before @trlvn and I could even chat about it.

bluecoast

Hi all... nice to meet you. And yeah that's my want ad.

I don't have a muffle furnace either but there seem to be lots around -- and not that useful til I find a grinder.

I really just want to make tools for my own shop -- arbors, clamps, AXA quick-change holders etc. I bought the estate of a toolmaker which came with some interesting tools and accessories (e.g. angle magnetic transfer plates, taper masters, angle masters) but still need surface grinder.

Am also looking for a small rotary table, and always for raw material!

I don't have a good home shop trading network yet -- that's what I was thinking in joining here... didn't realize it was so Western-Canada focused initially.

trlvn

Ultra Member
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/london/craftex-milling-machine/1525125985
That should fit no problem. An engine hoist would help get it into manageble pieces. I know someone who had a similar machine in his basement.
Here's a pic from the listing:

$_59.JPG

I have that model of machine but mine is approximately 10 years younger. From the pictures, it looks pretty darn good. The unshielded toggle switch is the only thing that catches my eye. I take it that is for main power and not the work light. That seems both an unsafe position and pretty lightweight for the current that the motor draws. Mine has a magnetic motor starter mounted to the left and just ahead of the elevation crank.

If the seller is willing to include a vise and/or some tooling, that could be a very good deal.

Craig

Chip Maker

Super User
Hey Boltgun. Maybe seen you on CGN. I'm in Peterborough. I'm a retired tool and die maker. Have your son ask his employer to keep an eye out for equipment auctions. Usually shops get auction flyers fairly regularly.