• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Ontario member sound off

Arteen

Hey fellows I am in a very serious Hunt for a Small Knee mill ,, First Choice a Delta Rockwell 21-122. Will pay good money for this ,, second choice Tom Senior , also consider a Clausing, Centex, and will pay huge Money for a PIXOMATT if anyone out there is considering selling one please give me a shout at arthur@rosemountstudios.com

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
HI I am in south Ottawa (Greely) I used to travel through the Toronto and Hamilton/Niagara regions so I was always on the hunt for deals so look forward to that day again so I can visit some of the great places in the GTA. I have a new to me craftex b2227L lathe and I am learning at this point but getting better with practice. If I can be of any help to others in the Ontario/w Quebec areas feel free to contact me.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I just noticed this thread. I am up in Thunder Bay. I know there is one other member living in this area, but other than that, I live vicariously through the other distant members. :D

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
All alone near Chatham.

But I know there is another member in Belle River near Windsor, and two in London.

darrin1200

Darrin
Just found this.
I’m in a little village called Lyn just outside of Brockville. Which itself, is outside of everywhere. Everything is about an hour away. LOL

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It would be interesting to put all of us on a map and keep it updated with publicly posted info only ......

Perhaps I will do that and put it in my dropbox so everyone can see it and use it as needed.....

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Sounds like a great way to network and help members that are close enough to meet and create a collaborative team. Technology helps us to connect, but there is nothing like working on something as a team.

darrin1200

Darrin
Sounds almost like paradise to me.
It really is. Big enough, that we have all the essentials, but rural enough that I live in a treed valley. Country living with the amenities of a “small” city 5 minutes away. We only see our neighbours houses (barely), in the winter when the foliage is down.

darrin1200

Darrin
It would be interesting to put all of us on a map and keep it updated with publicly posted info only ......

Perhaps I will do that and put it in my dropbox so everyone can see it and use it as needed.....
I don’t know how to do it, but I am on another forum that uses the same platform, and they have a member map that plots members by postal code.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I don’t know how to do it, but I am on another forum that uses the same platform, and they have a member map that plots members by postal code.
That sounds like a invitation for some waste of skin to pay a nighttime visit!
I don’t mind saying I’m in Calgary as a general area but the postal code is like someone putting your info on the bar wall under party! That happened once to me with the live in babysitter, their was only one fight but I have to say I enjoyed it, cops came I warned him to settle down twice waving his primary chain case belt the third time I told him to leave he threatened me with the biker clubs that’s when we played immobilize and destroy cost me $100.00 in court for allowing a party.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
That's basically all why I said publicly posted info only. Still chewing on it a bit.

darrin1200

Darrin
Postal code isn’t very precise, and it forum add-in shows it on a map. It actually seems to put a marker at the Center point of the postal code area. A little more precise sometimes than just city/town, but in no way identifying your home.
It’s a great way to see who is close to where, without having to know every town. As an example, on the map you would see I’m in Eastern Ontario near Brockville. But if I wrote down that I lived in Lyn, Ontario, it wouldn’t mean anything, because you probably have no idea where Lyn is. The mark for mine is actually about 10km off, because that is where the Center of my postal code area is. But it gets you in the ballpark.
Here is a couple of screen shots.

AF50EA1E-0D36-4972-AD03-B97821E7A70B.jpeg 9C57A882-926E-4BDF-BFD2-8776830E324D.jpeg
9DDD814D-EF1F-4589-89B6-CE9D8924B618.jpeg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I did a little postal code scanning for a retiree group I belong to.

In most cases, you are right @darrin1200 . But not always.

Unfortunately, there are indeed times when the postal code is deadly accurate. We ended up using the first 3 characters, but that might be too crude for our purposes here.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
I agree.
The general area (within a couple kms) should be sufficient. Precise directions to a member house can be finalized with other communications.
Too many facts is a bad thing to list publicly.

trlvn

Ultra Member
I did a little postal code scanning for a retiree group I belong to.

In most cases, you are right @darrin1200 . But not always.

Unfortunately, there are indeed times when the postal code is deadly accurate. We ended up using the first 3 characters, but that might be too crude for our purposes here.
The first 3 characters of the postal code are called the forward sortation area. I agree that this is quite sufficiently precise for mapping purposes.

Craig