• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

New rotary table

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Ah, well, I put on the locks so that it drags just a bit (per BP manual) and then always rotate the table INTO the cutter. Works great . The biggest piece is milled out of solid so far was this:

BBB89852-7FED-4CD6-A6E2-47C482652174.jpeg

The slug you see in the center of the ring is what I machined out of the stock. Stock dimensions were OD 10” by 2” thick, 316 stainless steel. The left-over slug is 5.25” by 2” thick.

All done with a 1/2” HSS end mill and the 12” RT.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
wow. that takes a looong HSS cutter... None of mine would reach that far!

Yes, i did 3/4 of the way through from one side and then flipped the part to finish it.

Coincidentally, Keith Fenner just posted a video where he works on the clapper box and uses the RT to put an end radius on the CI center block. One can clearly see the conventional milling starting at about 15 min into the video.

LinzD

A 6” rotary table with tailstock and dividing plates.
For $350 CDN delivered I am very impressed with it.
Once I cleaned off the remains of the La Brea tar pit it’s remarkably well made.
Minimal backlash and very solid.
Need a chuck for it now... 3 jaw or 4 jaw?
View attachment 11909
Hi David,

May I ask where you ordered this rotary table from? Are you still happy with it? Looking to get one myself.

Thanks,
Linz

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Hi David,

May I ask where you ordered this rotary table from? Are you still happy with it? Looking to get one myself.

Thanks,
Linz
This is the listing for the table:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/HV6-Rotary-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
And the dividing plates.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/INDEXING-PL...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The listing for the dividing plates say that are for HV4 & HV6 table but they fit the above table perfectly.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@David_R8 that is some - inexpensive - for dividing plates! I wouldn't want to make even one for that price! the'd be hundreds of hours with the RT drilling and boring.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@David_R8 do you have a dividing head also? What sort of things did you buy the rotary table for? I have neither a rotary table nor a dividing head and trying to decide what I "need" most/first.

I know if I could pinpoint exactly what I was wanting to do with either accessory, then I'm sure folks could easily tell me which one was the most suitable. I just don't know yet what I need either for yet, so I guess I will keep sitting on the fence until either a distinct need for one arises or a schookum deal comes up.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@David_R8 do you have a dividing head also? What sort of things did you buy the rotary table for? I have neither a rotary table nor a dividing head and trying to decide what I "need" most/first.

I know if I could pinpoint exactly what I was wanting to do with either accessory, then I'm sure folks could easily tell me which one was the most suitable. I just don't know yet what I need either for yet, so I guess I will keep sitting on the fence until either a distinct need for one arises or a schookum deal comes up.
I bought the dividing plates for the rotary table so I basically have a dividing head. I'm still on the hunt for a decent 4-jaw chuck for it.
My immediate plans include building a power feed for my mill which will need a dog clutch to fit the X-axis lead screw.
I also have a faceplate for my lathe that needs radial T-slots but I'm not sure I can fit the faceplate on the table.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
[mention]DPittman [/mention] I bought a dividing head and a rotary table w/dividing plates at or around the same time .

To date I’ve used the dividing head 10:1 over the rotary table. Primary uses being making splines on shafts

The biggest holdback on the RT for me has been toolholding. I have a 3 jaw chuck but didn’t have a mounting plate and alignment pin (mt2) — but I took care of that this week. I was able to get a bison (NOS) 3 and 4 jaw chuck for the dividing head from that HH Roberts company out east (search threads for info ). The dividing head has a threaded spindle

If I had to choose one or other, I’d probably go dividing head but that is based on the type of stuff I’ve been doing so far

I went with the Shars dividing head and the busy bee rotary table, pleased with both

I can send pics of either and show clearance etc on the 6x26 mill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
-- on my 6" RT, it had a MT2 bore in the centre. For small work I bought a MT2 3 jaw chuck for mot much money at KMS. it makes the workholding quite easy. Not too rigid, but it works well for small parts like shafts.

terry_g

Ultra Member
I have a very similar one from BusyBee tools. I am very impressed with the accuracy.
I bought the one that came with a tail stock. I have a 4 jaw for it as well.
The adapter was turned from a piston crown from an old diesel engine.

ei6Jwe4.jpg