• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

New rotary table

Tom O

Ultra Member
I haven’t got one yet either I do have my little dividing head though but like anyone else I’m always looking for that deal!

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have looked at them but probably other basic stuff I need first.......that I don't even know I need yet....:rolleyes:

Cheers,

Richard G

I got a 4" Soba rotary table. It also tilts. The weird thing about it is that when you bolt it to the ways and tilt it 90 deg (vertical), it is not quite perpendicular to the X axis or to put it another way, not parallel to the Y axis. I checked another one and it is the same.
Either I am missing something in their design philosophy or it is a mass produced error. I was thinking I would locate and drill another mounting hole. Any comments?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I got a 4" Soba rotary table. It also tilts. The weird thing about it is that when you bolt it to the ways and tilt it 90 deg (vertical), it is not quite perpendicular to the X axis or to put it another way, not parallel to the Y axis. I checked another one and it is the same.
Either I am missing something in their design philosophy or it is a mass produced error. I was thinking I would locate and drill another mounting hole. Any comments?
Does it have keys on the mounting surfaces?

Swharfin'

Out to pasture Red Seal Millwright
I have a spare set of plates and all the fixings for a 10" RT that came with the loot when I bought my lathe I have no idea why there were 2 sets if anyone has a use I'll post it on the correct thread. Proceeds to the Forum.
IMG_0037.JPG

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
What do you mean by plates?

Dividing plates like these that like a person index the rotation of the table.
Turns a rotary table into a pseudo dividing head.
73cbec816494902b42544c9a59f4cafc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swharfin'

The dividing head plates to use on a rotary turntable to give you more accurate hole placement say for some unknown reason you required 17 holes on a work piece accurately placed the only way to achieve it is by using dividing head plates. Don't get me wrong I am not fluent in the procedure myself and can not quote you the exact procedure/settings. I have to do it with the instructions in one hand to even muddle through it. Thus the reason I'd doubt I'd wear a set out and need to keep a spare set lol. And no they do not come with the tables but they are available on line.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I didn't mean to sidetrack David_R8's thread with this, My apologies.
perhaps one the more experienced members could start a thread or provide a YouTube link to better educate us all on the use of these.

Not a sidetrack at all :)
All good

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Dividing heads I can get my head around:p Adapting indexing plates to a RT not so much:confused:

Swharfin'

Thanks David
The previously mentioned 17 holes hypothetical on a 360 deg. arc is 21.1764 degrees between holes could never be achieved using the supplied reference points on your turn table the dividing plates will enable you to accurately do this.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Dividing heads I can get my head around:p Adapting indexing plates to a RT not so much:confused:

The plates attach to shaft that holds the handle used to rotate the table.
The handle is removed, the plate is slid on and screwed into place, the sector arms are slid on and then the crank handle is attached.
Not at rotary tables can take dividing plates.
When I bought my table I gambled and bought the plates and table separately because it was about $50 less expensive. As it turned out they plates, sector arms and handle fit perfectly.

Swharfin'

Strictly bolt on option. I will measure the set to provide required information in a separate thread in the "buy & sell".