• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

New rotary table

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
A 6” rotary table with tailstock and dividing plates.
For $350 CDN delivered I am very impressed with it.
Once I cleaned off the remains of the La Brea tar pit it’s remarkably well made.
Minimal backlash and very solid.
Need a chuck for it now... 3 jaw or 4 jaw?
1606456284489.png

Perry

Ultra Member
Hi David,

A friend pointed this out to me last year. Take another look at the sellers image and check to make sure yours is the same. Some of the sellers supply two similar but different units under the same part number.
13831__14307.1530028365.jpg
Notice this image has a ground front lower surface. Another surface you can use for setting up. Same price, same part number, same store.......when I was looking around last year.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks Perry, the listing for mine does not have that milled surface. Nor do any of the others from the same seller.
It seems a good idea to mill it flat though.

Perry

Ultra Member
Wouldn't hurt to call them and ask them to check their stock. You never know. :) I'm guessing that surface is ground. Not a deal breaker , but if it is the same price I can see it being useful.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
4 jaw is one you can do anything with, but you have to live with the fact it is slower. Definitely my preferred choice.

-- That said, I picked up a cheap 3 jaw scroll chuck for mine (150$) for quick setups. sort of an impulse purchase...

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If I had to chose one chuck for the RT it would be a 4 jaw. That way you can dial in any part perfect or hold odd shapes. I have a 5" diameter Gator chuck mostly for this purpose although I can use on my lathe, I got D1-4 apater plate same time. But it required me to machine a back plate adapter to marry them. So the stack-up starts to approach maybe 5" or more from top of jaw to RT surface. The wedding cake syndrome if you have limited head room. A 3J scroll chuck is quicker but if you get one that is too cheap it may or may not be repeatable, depending on accuracy you're after.

Another option is this ER collet plate. Lower profile but only holds circular parts to limit of collet capacity. You can get them relatively inexpensively. I've seen them with 4 holes too but shouldnt be an issue to drill your own. I think I would also mill 2 parallel flats on the edge so you can grip it in a mill vise & now have a nice repeatable way to grip round things vertically without vee blocks & such.

Attachments

• SNAG-11-27-2020 0001.jpg
    SNAG-11-27-2020 0001.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 10-23-2016 0000.jpg
    10-23-2016 0000.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 10

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks gents, I’ll keep my eye open for a reasonable 4” 4-jaw chuck.
The ER chuck is an interesting idea. I had a moment where I thought I could use my ER32 mill chuck as it has an MT taper. Alas it’s an MT3 and the table is MT2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Glad it worked out. The SOBA I had, had excessive backlash that you couldn't tune out. Worked ok for indexing but you couldn't mill anything on it.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Another chuck feature to look for is reversible jaws so you can grip larger diameter objects. A non-reversible might have 2 jaw sets, small & large set, but check included if its a used buy.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Test that a taper does fit, the RT I bought had a ridge about half way down that stopped the taper from seating tight. It took a few minutes with a small drum sander to remove the ridge and now it works okay.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Worked ok for indexing but you couldn't mill anything on it.

did the table not have any locks? I think that if you are milling, the locking mechanism has to be engaged to prevent things from moving - even on a big 12” RT that I have for the Bridgeport.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
did the table not have any locks? I think that if you are milling, the locking mechanism has to be engaged to prevent things from moving - even on a big 12” RT that I have for the Bridgeport.

How do you mill arcs if you lock it?