• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

New Hobby Machinist in Edmonton

Emery

That's better!!! I'd use it as is and keep looking for a suitable aluminium pulley replacement or better yet make one.

The belt I'm using is 1/2" X 30"

The vibration issue I had was due to motor vibration and it bouncing the motor mount. The 1/2 HP I replaced it with just spun a lot smoother. With the motor tensioning the belt by weight alone it may have something to do with the 3/4 HP motor being a lot heavier. It's still a bit of mystery.

Did the vibration happen at most speeds? Or only one like mine? I think mines due to belt tension somehow.... maybe the motor.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Did the vibration happen at most speeds? Or only one like mine? I think mines due to belt tension somehow.... maybe the motor.

Mine seemed to vibrate more at low RPM, but it was hard to tell. It didn't seem to affect turning quality, it was just noticeable. You might have one pulley sheave that's not quite concentric, they aren't high end pulleys.

Emery

Mine seemed to vibrate more at low RPM, but it was hard to tell. It didn't seem to affect turning quality, it was just noticeable. You might have one pulley sheave that's not quite concentric, they aren't high end pulleys.

it just seems odd that I didn’t have a vibration before and then when I Swapped the top pulley for the bottom pulley the vibration started. Leaving me to believe it’s not a pulley shape issue I could switch them back tomorrow and see if it stops vibrating

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
it just seems odd that I didn’t have a vibration before and then when I Swapped the top pulley for the bottom pulley the vibration started. Leaving me to believe it’s not a pulley shape issue I could switch them back tomorrow and see if it stops vibrating

How bad is the vibration? Also, what condition is your belt in?

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
In all likelihood the motor pulley might have been slightly out of round and reduced belt tension meant less of the vibration was transmitted.
I had a Rockwell contractor style table saw that had a similar issue. with the full weight of the motor on the belt there was lots of vibration. I connected a turn buckle to the motor so I could lift it slightly and reduce belt tension and the vibration went away.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
In all likelihood the motor pulley might have been slightly out of round and reduced belt tension meant less of the vibration was transmitted.
I had a Rockwell contractor style table saw that had a similar issue. with the full weight of the motor on the belt there was lots of vibration. I connected a turn buckle to the motor so I could lift it slightly and reduce belt tension and the vibration went away.

I think you're exactly right about that David. With the 3/4 HP I made a wood block with a piece of mouse pad on top that raised the motor ever so much and the vibration went way down. The 1/2 HP being lighter eliminated the block.

Emery

That’s exactly what I was thinking. I just took a half inch piece of wood and stuck it under the motor and the vibration goes away. The problem is when I switch gears too much slack get in the pulley... So either need to get a lighter motor or figure out some type of I turnbuckle. It needs to be easily adjustable though.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
That’s exactly what I was thinking. I just took a half inch piece of wood and stuck it under the motor and the vibration goes away. The problem is when I switch gears too much slack get in the pulley... So either need to get a lighter motor or figure out some type of I turnbuckle. It needs to be easily adjustable though.

Does your machine have the spring tensioner on the motor mount plate? A shorter belt might solve your slack issue.

Emery

Does your machine have the spring tensioner on the motor mount plate? A shorter belt might solve your slack issue.

It does have a spring tensioner but that applies more tension to the belt. I took it all the way off and it did not fix the problem.

I would need a spring lifting up on the motor.

I don’t think a block is the answer because each pulley requires a slightly different belt length. It ranges about 1/2 of an inch between all the speeds

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
It does have a spring tensioner but that applies more tension to the belt. I took it all the way off and it did not fix the problem.

I would need a spring lifting up on the motor.

I don’t think a block is the answer because each pulley requires a slightly different belt length. It ranges about 1/2 of an inch between all the speeds

Ya, I started without a spring tensioner and then inherited a mount that had one (it's a long story). Have since removed the spring all together. A shorter belt should solve your problem for now?

Emery

30"..... but I have the proper factory size pulleys.

Something seems off to me. With a 27 inch belt my motor just touches the worksurface surface. If I had a 30 inch belt it would be way too big.

One of my pulleys is roughly an inch small but it shouldn’t make that much of a difference.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Something seems off to me. With a 27 inch belt my motor just touches the worksurface surface. If I had a 30 inch belt it would be way too big.

One of my pulleys is roughly an inch small but it shouldn’t make that much of a difference.

Both of your pulleys are undersize are they not?

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Morning folks,
I'm using a link belt so the length is made to fit. The belts aren't cheap but they're always the right length.
When you get the correct spindle pulley the belt tension should be the same for all speeds.
I've got a 1/2hp motor on my machine and there is no vibration to speak of.

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
I also have a 1/2hp motor and run a link belt. I noticed that when I left the motor hanging off the belt for a week or two it stretched the belt enough that the motor was starting to touch the chip tray. So I removed a link and that fixed that problem. I now remove the belt and hang on the wall when I am done. Safer if someone bumps the start button on the front of the stand as well.