• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Need a Dro what one to get

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Second 1/2 of the shipment now in motion again...….

1595650256664.png

Blaaa… leaving Sunday noon, won't be back until Thurs. Isn't that always the case with these things......

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
My experience with UPS is that their delivery estimates are pure fantasy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Just to finish off how my DRO ordered ended up. It was ordered 7/11/2020 and delivered on my front door step 7/27/2020. It was well packaged and everything including the scale lengths looks good. Some how I managed not to be charged tax and duty (well so far anyway). Once again, I'm impressed with AliExpress and would not hesitate to order more items from them.

Craig

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Just to finish off how my DRO ordered ended up. It was ordered 7/11/2020 and delivered on my front door step 7/27/2020. It was well packaged and everything including the scale lengths looks good. Some how I managed not to be charged tax and duty (well so far anyway). Once again, I'm impressed with AliExpress and would not hesitate to order more items from them.

Craig
And my two bits about my experience....my first attempt was a nightmare, my next attempt of the exact same product from another vendor was smooth as can be.
Product seems good but it was quite a project getting it mounted and making brackets and figuring how it all should go. Good thing I have a milling machine to make all the slotted holes on the mounting brackets needed ( hee hee).

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
And my two bits about my experience....my first attempt was a nightmare, my next attempt of the exact same product from another vendor was smooth as can be.
Product seems good but it was quite a project getting it mounted and making brackets and figuring how it all should go. Good thing I have a milling machine to make all the slotted holes on the mounting brackets needed ( hee hee).

Mounting is always a head scratcher LOL. The mounting kit that came with this latest DRO is 10X better than the first DRO I ordered.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
For my install I only used the angle bits, everything else I made from 1/8" aluminum sheet.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
@David_R8 How much did you have to cut your scale down by? I need to shorten my x-axis scale by exactly one end cap length. If I do that I'll be cutting into a bar embedded in the scale and the end cap still won't have room to re-seat due to the cap recess.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@David_R8 How much did you have to cut your scale down by? I need to shorten my x-axis scale by exactly one end cap length. If I do that I'll be cutting into a bar embedded in the scale and the end cap still won't have room to re-seat due to the cap recess.
I cut off about 3 inches.
Cutting it was dead easy, i just stuck it in my bandsaw and sawed it off. I used needle nosed pliers to nibble off some glass scale to make the end cap fit. I tried to drill and tap for the tiny screws but it was too hard. I glued it back on instead.

For that much/little extra length, I would just put a small block of aluminum on each end or the table, tap them for SHCS and mount the scale to that. Or just put a block on one end of the table and call it good.

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I used needle nosed pliers to nibble off some glass scale to make the end cap fit.

Hmmmm….. the nibble part kind of eludes me??? I suppose I could mill the center section of the end cap recess out to miss the glass scale?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Hmmmm….. the nibble part kind of eludes me??? I suppose I could mill the center section of the end cap recess out to miss the glass scale?

The glass scale is quite soft and cuts very easily.
I just broke a few bits off and called it good.
Milling the end cap would be good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Cutting it was dead easy, i just stuck it in my bandsaw and sawed it off. I used needle nosed pliers to nibble off some glass scale to make the end cap fit. I tried to drill and tap for the tiny screws but it was too hard. I glued it back on instead.

What glue did you use?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

For that much/little extra length, I would just put a small block of aluminum on each end or the table, tap them for SHCS and mount the scale to that. Or just put a block on one end of the table and call it good.

Well...…. your experience is a little different than mine when it comes to cutting glass scales. When I cut my scale on the bandsaw the glass shattered a good 1.5" back from where the cut was made:mad:. I'm going to have to fill behind the end cap to keep the reader from running off the end of the fractured glass part. It still appears to work ok, just a little less reader reach than I had anticipated.

CUTSCALE1.JPG

CUTSCALE2.JPG

You have to look hard for the fragments but you can see how the glass scale shattered rather than cut clean.