• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Need a Dro what one to get

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Well...…. your experience is a little different than mine when it comes to cutting glass scales. When I cut my scale on the bandsaw the glass shattered a good 1.5" back from where the cut was made:mad:. I'm going to have to fill behind the end cap to keep the reader from running off the end of the fractured glass part. It still appears to work ok, just a little less reader reach than I had anticipated.

View attachment 10407

View attachment 10408

You have to look hard for the fragments but you can see how the glass scale shattered rather than cut clean.

Argh! I’m sorry that happened.
If the scale goes across the full width of the table there is 2.5” of table at each end that is not usable because there are no T-slots.
bc5ce8c62614e7158a56f9ded3732b8a.jpg

The is the reader head relative to the end of the scale with the table extended as far as it can go in this direction.
514368ce28af29511e22ac7c427281a8.jpg

This is the table cranked almost to the end of the range the other direction. At this point the spindle is no longer over the T-slots.
f8cad81daccdab27879b66dbca8cfb1d.jpg

This is the position of the reader head at this end of the range.
bf25315d8546d3a989a9055f808a0a0a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
@David_R8 how did you mount your scale in the bandsaw? I'm wondering now if I didn't set myself up for a fail by how I mounted it in the saw. I mounted it reader up.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@David_R8 how did you mount your scale in the bandsaw? I'm wondering now if I didn't set myself up for a fail by how I mounted it in the saw. I mounted it reader up.

I mounted it with the glass horizontal.
My thinking was that maybe the blade would score the glass enough so that it would just snap off.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
The best way would have been to cut the enclosure, then nick the scale with a file and snap it off by hand.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Well...….. now we know how not to do it:(

KEEPER.JPG

On another note.... are you supposed to leave these things on the scales or take them off? I thought they were just shipping keepers.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Well...….. now we know how not to do it:(

View attachment 10409

On another note.... are you supposed to leave these things on the scales or take them off? I thought they were just shipping keepers.

Mine are still in but I intend to take them out. Though I cannot see what harm would come if left in.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Mine are still in but I intend to take them out. Though I cannot see what harm would come if left in.

I think they are just for shipping, mine stay on when it slides one way but come off when slid the other way.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I took mine out. I used it for alignment (spacing ) but that is all

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Anyone know how sensitive the scales and heads are to being a bit off, as in not perfectly in line with the movement?

kylemp

They've got a bit of slop in them, but I wouldn't force them in any way or you're likely to break the scale.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Anyone know how sensitive the scales and heads are to being a bit off, as in not perfectly in line with the movement?

Do you get any indication of things being out-of-wack when you run one axis from stop to stop? Those things measure to 0.000x. Just tightening the Gibb locks will cause them to twitch.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Do you get any indication of things being out-of-wack when you run one axis from stop to stop? Those things measure to 0.000x. Just tightening the Gibb locks will cause them to twitch.
I don't notice anything but on setup I had one scale so cockeyed that the mounting brackets twisted out of adjustment (obviously wrong adjustment), I was amazed that I hadn't busted the damn thing all to hell. The reader head seems to have some spring to it and that may help prevent breaks but I do t see how that wouldn’t adversely affect accuracy?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member

I don’t have any weird readings the length of x and y. Cranking down the gib locks does cause a bit of an increase but I tend to run my gibs on the snug side. Where I see the most variation is locking the quill.
I suspect that it might be partly because my z scale is further away from the centre line of the spindle.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I don’t have any weird readings the length of x and y. Cranking down the gib locks does cause a bit of an increase but I tend to run my gibs on the snug side. Where I see the most variation is locking the quill.
I suspect that it might be partly because my z scale is further away from the centre line of the spindle.

Yup, when I installed a DRO on my mini-mill locking the z-axis caused the most amount of variation. Nothing beyond 0.00x though. A dull end mill would cause the last digits to jump all over the place. I wish they made these things to allow you to control how many digits are displayed.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Yup, when I installed a DRO on my mini-mill locking the z-axis caused the most amount of variation. Nothing beyond 0.00x though. A dull end mill would cause the last digits to jump all over the place. I wish they made these things to allow you to control how many digits are displayed.

That’s why tape was invented ;)