• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Name this shop TOOL

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
I’ve never heard of those with the two holes at different degrees before just the 90* ones.

Hey Tom how about this optical center punch made by Veritas and sold through Lee Valley a Canadian Company.

Apparently no longer available, cost was reasonable. That sucks!

Then you have this one on amazon.ca with 2 different optics and center punches. Read the reviews, somewhat pricey!

Attachments

• 518Mcw8sQhL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    518Mcw8sQhL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Keith Rucker on the Vintage Machinery Youtube channel goes over an optical center punch in the following video:

Craig

I'm no youtube fan, but I watched it anyway. I have grandkids at the farm today and I'm on duty so a video is a good pass time. The video didn't help.

I understand the concept. What I don't understand is how you can see anything down in there. There is no light. It isn't obvious how the work gets illuminated so you can actually center it.

Kinda funny listening to Rucker try to pronounce that Canadian outfit called Veritas.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
I’ve never heard of those with the two holes at different degrees before just the 90* ones.
I thought it was the punch points that had different angles. And, isn't the second hole just a 'storage' for the punch when it's not being used? Anyway at $100+ CAD, it's all theory to me, for now.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
I understand the concept. What I don't understand is how you can see anything down in there. There is no light. It isn't obvious how the work gets illuminated so you can actually center it.
This 'Adam Savage' (not one of my faves) video shows video that's supposedly looking right into the optical 'sight':
optical punch.JPG

Looked up one of the cheaper versions on amazon.com (USA site) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XWRJSBQ#customerReviews and found that the reviewers mentioned exactly the problem that @Susquatch predicts:
Had seen this tool 30 years ago. As a professional Toolmaker I use layout tools all the time.

This tool is shy of allowing enough light into the cylinder to see the cross hair accurately!

I'm going to have to mill/drill slotts in the sides to be able to use it

More Amazon crap

4.0 out of 5 stars Accurate, but difficult to line up

Reviewed in the United States on August 7, 2021

Verified Purchase

It is hard for me to line up the marks, even when I "blue" the metal surface to be punched and scribe bright lines on it. I'm still experimenting with my lighting, trying to better illuminate the domed top without causing reflections. But then, my eyes aren't what they used to be. The product is usable, but could be better. Good value for the price, though.

2.0 out of 5 stars Reviewed in the United States on May 3, 2022

Verified Purchase

The article is unfortunately not good. It does not benefit from good manual punching. He has a major parallax problem, missing a light, so he forces me to use a flashlight. It would take a few more magnification and the axes drawn on the lens should be 5 or 10 times thinner. But the idea itself is very good.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
This 'Adam Savage' (not one of my faves) video shows video that's supposedly looking right into the optical 'sight':
View attachment 24693

Looked up one of the cheaper versions on amazon.com (USA site) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XWRJSBQ#customerReviews and found that the reviewers mentioned exactly the problem that @Susquatch predicts:
Had seen this tool 30 years ago. As a professional Toolmaker I use layout tools all the time.

This tool is shy of allowing enough light into the cylinder to see the cross hair accurately!

I'm going to have to mill/drill slotts in the sides to be able to use it

More Amazon crap

4.0 out of 5 stars Accurate, but difficult to line up

Reviewed in the United States on August 7, 2021

Verified Purchase

It is hard for me to line up the marks, even when I "blue" the metal surface to be punched and scribe bright lines on it. I'm still experimenting with my lighting, trying to better illuminate the domed top without causing reflections. But then, my eyes aren't what they used to be. The product is usable, but could be better. Good value for the price, though.

2.0 out of 5 stars Reviewed in the United States on May 3, 2022

Verified Purchase

The article is unfortunately not good. It does not benefit from good manual punching. He has a major parallax problem, missing a light, so he forces me to use a flashlight. It would take a few more magnification and the axes drawn on the lens should be 5 or 10 times thinner. But the idea itself is very good.

Great summary of what people find. Thank you for doing all that digging.

Ya, I think I'll stick with the variety of manual punches others have suggested.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I would think that if it works off of the magnifying part and doesn’t need a flat fitting bottom. I’d be giv8ng it feet so light would could get let in.

Hey Tom how about this optical center punch made by Veritas and sold through Lee Valley a Canadian Company.

Apparently no longer available, cost was reasonable. That sucks!

Then you have this one on amazon.ca with 2 different optics and center punches. Read the reviews, somewhat pricey!

I have one. :)

Yes the light gets in as the optical plastic viewer sticks up above the guide and gathers the light transmitting it downward, if you have big fingers or head and block your light it goes dark. Good lighting is a must. (BTW think of this as the light tunnels they used to sell for homes).

Yes it seems accurate, but the hardest thing is changing the optic piece for the punch without moving the base (see note above about blocking light). Yes what you see in Adam's video as the view is correct.

So can this work for you, yes or no. Depends on how coordinated you are and your ambient light.

Center punching initial and final punch (with correction) are a learn art using the old methods. I do well with the old method, and do well with the tool. Both take a little practice for the best result.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Degen is right, using the old school way works very good. I was taught to use a prick punch first then a larger center punch, it also helps to grind a punch the proper way.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I never ever thought in a million years that I would ever be saying this but.......

I am still amazed at what I can do with a DRO. Just locate X0 & Y0 with an edge finder, set target point, center drill, and then drill. No punch needed. Perfect location every time. The DRO will also handle a lot of the math and convert between metric and imperial on the fly (0.7" down, 3mm left) etc etc

Yup, no need for bifocals, magnifying glasses, bright side lights, finger weights (to dampen the shakes), wife to prop me up,....... Just turn on the DRO and smile!

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I never ever thought in a million years that I would ever be saying this but.......

I am still amazed at what I can do with a DRO. Just locate X0 & Y0 with an edge finder, set target point, center drill, and then drill. No punch needed. Perfect location every time. The DRO will also handle a lot of the math and convert between metric and imperial on the fly (0.7" down, 3mm left) etc etc

Yup, no need for bifocals, magnifying glasses, bright side lights, finger weights (to dampen the shakes), wife to prop me up,....... Just turn on the DRO and smile!
99.9% of the time, that's the way I do it. The only time I'll use a punch mark is when doing free-hand drilling or on the drill press. Even when holding an odd shaped part clamped on the mill table, I'll center a pointer on the scribe marks, or use a center drill and touch off lightly and adjust as necessary.

Took this this morning, it does not do it justice as the camera can not focus on the image in the lens, but it does show the light getting theough and the line white line blur underneath and the black blur is the reference line, second photo is the punch after proper alignment.

1657200103218.jpeg
1657200239173.jpeg

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
99.9% of the time, that's the way I do it. The only time I'll use a punch mark is when doing free-hand drilling or on the drill press. Even when holding an odd shaped part clamped on the mill table, I'll center a pointer on the scribe marks, or use a center drill and touch off lightly and adjust as necessary.

To be honest, my only complaint is that I'm wearing out my mill instead of my drill press....... LOL!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Took this this morning, it does not do it justice as the camera can not focus on the image in the lens, but it does show the light getting theough and the line white line blur underneath and the black blur is the reference line, second photo is the punch after proper alignment.

View attachment 24813
View attachment 24814

Thank you @Degen . This is informative.

Edit - PS a manual focus method often solves the photo problem. My Samsung phone camera even has a pro mode with manual macro focus. It's worth trying it.

Last edited:

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Sounds good to me. You forgot to add to your list: "Spend $2-10K for a mill with DRO, and find a place to put it, and get it moved to that place...." :)