• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Name this shop TOOL

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Help needed, someone must know.

Some time ago while search KBC online tool catalogue I ran across these items unfortunately I can't remember what they are called. Lets say a person wanted to make a rather strange bolt circle with random holes, so one uses a center punch to start what will be the 8mm - 1.25 threaded holes (blind holes).

1. The item I can't find the name off on google looks somewhat like this, about 1/2" long in my case with 8mm - 1.25 thread.

2. Center punch end has a hex shaped nut (built in) so you can screw it in or out of a threaded hole.

3. A hex socket fits over actual center punch end in order to screw this animal in or out.

So you screw them into the mother piece with the center end sticking out. Then you lay your project piece on top and gently tap where the center pins are, second piece is now marked spot on.

I don't want to mess around making them unless I really, really have to.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Found this video with DIY transfer screw set, check this out.

My shop isn't equipped with welding equipment however I don't see why Lock Tight wouldn't work for a 3 screw transfer set and one time usage.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Try “heimann transfer pins” in google

Sure glad you didn't mis-spell that....... I prolly would have...... Maybe even on purpose......

Hey @Dusty - you could prolly easy make your own out of whatever bolt size you need. Just use grade 5 or even 8 to get a nose that will survive a few good whacks.

Edit - looks like you found a video before I posted.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Dusty - please keep us informed about how this goes.

I have been gearing up to make four wheel spacers for my farm ATV. As is, the tires drive on my crops way too easily. I want to move all four tires outboard about 2 inches each. The problem is finding aluminium plate that thick or bar that big around.

I would just buy them but I can't find any with my bolt pattern anywhere.

As soon as I find stock, that project is a go.

Last edited:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Coincidentally I just bought a set 0f 5 sizes this week, and augmented it with one extra transfer size.

One of the better brands sold in Canada is Nielsen, carried by Aircraft Spruce in Brantford, Ont. The Nielsen sets are cheaper than the offshore ones sold on Amazon.ca. Here's the link:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Dusty - can't sleep so I did some digging for you.

I can see why making them isn't necessarily easy. I liked the idea of just turning a bit of the head of a bolt down to make the point like the ones @Dabbler found at Spruce Aircraft.

But Spruce aircraft did not seem to carry metric. Very odd.

I found these at Travers Canada. I believe it's the size you want for $27.

@Dusty - please keep us informed about how this goes.

I have been gearing up to make four wheel spacers for my farm ATV. As is, the tires drive on my crops way too easily. I want to move all four tires outboard about 2 inches each. The problem is finding aluminium plate that thick or bar that big around.

I would just buy them but I can't find any with my bolt pattern anywhere.

As soon as I find stock, that project is a go.
What Diameter do you need, and I'll keep my eyes open.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
@Dusty - can't sleep so I did some digging for you.

I can see why making them isn't necessarily easy. I liked the idea of just turning a bit of the head of a bolt down to make the point like the ones @Dabbler found at Spruce Aircraft.

But Spruce aircraft did not seem to carry metric. Very odd.

I found these at Travers Canada. I believe it's the size you want for $27.

@Susquatch Not familiar with how Travers Canada operates although I've seen the name posted on this forum. Are they in Canada or must one jump through all the hoops to get something shipped through customs which usually ends up doubling cost?

Would you kindly expand on this for me!

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Travers is located in Montreal. Some of their items are shipped from the U.S. For the most part everything is in Canadian $ . so theirs no duty just shipping. Go their web site https://www.traverscanada.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=transfer screws.
Keep in mind they have a $100.00 minimum. When I bought my Kurt vise it was in CDN $ but shipped from the U.S.
-
Thank you!

Logged into Travers to place my order and there's always a catch, check out says minimum order must be $100.00 to be shipped.

This is BS, in my mind I did 360 degrees, likely back to making my own.

Last edited:

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Coincidentally I just bought a set 0f 5 sizes this week, and augmented it with one extra transfer size.

One of the better brands sold in Canada is Nielsen, carried by Aircraft Spruce in Brantford, Ont. The Nielsen sets are cheaper than the offshore ones sold on Amazon.ca. Here's the link:

Nothing in metric that I could find at Aircraft Spruce or KBC Tools.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
What is it that you need to accomplish Bill? As in, what are you making?

Hey Craig, my down the road project is a back plate for my ER32 Collet Chuck assembly more-or-less scheduled for fall or winter. The back plate needs to be as accurate as I can make it as it has a inward recess on one side and a outwards recess on the other. Along with six threaded 8mm - 1.25 bolt holes where tolerances need be spot on the mark.

Me thinks the 8mm - 1.25 metric transfer screw should help accomplish that. Thought I had the problem solved although after logging in to Travers Tools but not so fast Billy applied the brakes on. Time is on my side so I can play around with DIY making same if need be.