• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Name this shop TOOL

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Hey Craig, my down the road project is a back plate for my ER32 Collet Chuck assembly more-or-less scheduled for fall or winter. The back plate needs to be as accurate as I can make it as it has a inward recess on one side and a outwards recess on the other. Along with six threaded 8mm - 1.25 bolt holes where tolerances need be spot on the mark.

Me thinks the 8mm - 1.25 metric transfer screw should help accomplish that. Thought I had the problem solved although after logging in to Travers Tools but not so fast Billy applied the brakes on. Time is on my side so I can play around with DIY making same if need be.

Need pictures of the two parts. Which piece has the blind threaded holes. You shouldn't have to use all 6 holes, three should suffice. The thru holes and registration should have sufficient slop to allow the chuck to be bumped into alignment. I've had to do this very same thing twice now. Once for a 3J and once for my ER32 chuck.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Me thinks the 8mm - 1.25 metric transfer screw should help accomplish that. Thought I had the problem solved although after logging in to Travers Tools but not so fast Billy applied the brakes on. Time is on my side so I can play around with DIY making same if need be.
I've done a similar job (chuck adapter plate for 4" chuck on 3" lathe flange) and I made 'quick and dirty' transfer screws. Start with something threaded M8 (setscrew, threaded rod, cap screw with head cut off), grind a point on the end, and then grind or file a couple of flats -one on each side of the point. You don't need much point to do the transfer. Screw/unscrew by hand or with a small wrench or needle-nose pliers. Making those threaded points was a 10-15 minute job. They weren't real hard, but good enough to mark a couple of points each.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
You could just use a normal transfer punch, the chuck should register on the shoulder to the backing plate, bolts are just to hold the chuck to the plate

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Need pictures of the two parts. Which piece has the blind threaded holes. You shouldn't have to use all 6 holes, three should suffice. The thru holes and registration should have sufficient slop to allow the chuck to be bumped into alignment. I've had to do this very same thing twice now. Once for a 3J and once for my ER32 chuck.

Hey Craig understand what you are saying, photos will come at a later date.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hey Ryan yes I could do that however my transfer punch set is imperial so I would need to turn down one to fit the 8 mm threaded hole.

Working on the solution as to what is best for me.

i hear you, i would think a 5/16 transfer punch would be close enough, this is a through hole is it not ? you will be drilling oversize anyhow

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
@Dusty here is a set that would get you where you need to be. Sorry about the metric thing with Aircraft Spruce. I need lessons in reading comprehension!

here's a link that will get you there for around 60 bucks:

Reading comprehension, laughing with you been there done that oh so many times. LOL

Thanks for the link, this set works as it has the correct 8mm-1.25 threads.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Would you kindly expand on this for me!

I think others have already chimed in and answered your question. I was out spraying in my farm fields all day. Sorry about that.

The only thing I would add is that I only order from Travers.ca. The have sometimes shipped from the USA, but I've never had to pay more for that. What I pay when I order is what I pay.

Frankly, I didn't know about the $100 minimum order. I guess I never hit it. I usually try to "collect" a larger order over time to minimize shipping costs so I was prolly always over 100 and didn't realize I was boating in shallow water.

I am currently planning to get a few surface grinder wheel adapters.

Tell you what, if you want those punches, I'll order them with my stuff which will take it over the 100. I'll pay the shipping for everything to me and then you cover my shipping to you for your punch set. If that works for you, PM me.

Edit - didn't see that @Dabbler found some for you. No biggie either way. Just let me know if I can help.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
I think others have already chimed in and answered your question. I was out spraying in my farm fields all day. Sorry about that.

The only thing I would add is that I only order from Travers.ca. The have sometimes shipped from the USA, but I've never had to pay more for that. What I pay when I order is what I pay.

Frankly, I didn't know about the $100 minimum order. I guess I never hit it. I usually try to "collect" a larger order over time to minimize shipping costs so I was prolly always over 100 and didn't realize I was boating in shallow water.

I am currently planning to get a few surface grinder wheel adapters.

Tell you what, if you want those punches, I'll order them with my stuff which will take it over the 100. I'll pay the shipping for everything to me and then you cover my shipping to you for your punch set. If that works for you, PM me.

Edit - didn't see that @Dabbler found some for you. No biggie either way. Just let me know if I can help.

@Susquatch actually I beat you to the punch wanting to get my ducks in order so I ordered this set from amizon.ca, thanks for your kind offer much appreciated.

Ordered this set from amazon.ca as I'm not going to play around any longer, heading back to hospital (day surgery) for a few days in Regina.

The 8mm set Dabbler suggested wouldn't work because of thread size besides the reviews on quality scared me off from this seller.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Could you machine a 8mm sleave for a transfer punch to go in like those centering units that use magnification to find scribed lines?

You lost me on that one Tom.

I think my disconnect starts with I have no idea what this magnification thing is......

trlvn

Ultra Member
You lost me on that one Tom.

I think my disconnect starts with I have no idea what this magnification thing is......
Like this:

Craig

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Like this:

Craig

Very Cool. Never knew this existed. Thank you Craig!

How the heck do you see down in there? Does shining a side light on it somehow get funnelled down the hole to the work?

trlvn

Ultra Member
Very Cool. Never knew this existed. Thank you Craig!

How the heck do you see down in there? Does shining a side light on it somehow get funnelled down the hole to the work?

Keith Rucker on the Vintage Machinery Youtube channel goes over an optical center punch in the following video:

Craig

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Thanks for that idea and the link. Did you buy one of these? I tried but I noticed that the only shipping option is UPS Standard which in my experience incurs a $50+ 'handling charge'. Buyer beware- the same Grizzly set ($47USD at Grizzly) is listed on amazon.ca for $141 CAD! Forgetaboutit! :) Unfortunately the Veritas (LeeValley) version is discontinued. LV is on a downhill slide. I tried looking on AliExpress - assuming the Grizzly tool must come from China, like all their stuff - but couldn't find one. Perhaps I didn't hit the right search terms.

trlvn

Ultra Member
I don't own an optical punch; just remembered it from the Youtube video and found a random link via DuckDuckGo.

I wouldn't turn one down but with a DRO it probably has limited application, IMHO.

Craig