• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Must have hand tools?

Johnwa

Ultra Member
When I was at PA the other day I saw that one of their calipers had a solar cell. Small solar cells seem to work on calculators so it might be the answer to the battery problem.

John Conroy

Premium Member
Ive found that the quality of Canadian tire tools went down as princess auto went up (pro point)

I've abused some pro point sockets on larger work and have always walked away amazed they held up

I'll take 40 year old barn-find auction wrenches any day though...... dame they made good stuff back then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still have my Dad's old wrenches that he bought in the 1940's. Made by Gray Tools in Canada with a couple of Craftsman wrenches thrown in (made in the USA). They are not pretty but are great quality compared the ones you buy from China today. Of course there are no metric wrenches in this set. LOL

Downwindtracker2

I find deep offsets to be very handy, much more so than the standard combinations. I pick them up at the fleamarket when I see them.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Re calipers, are you wanting something like this with fractions display? All digital calipers will do decimal inch/metric with a button press, that's considered standard
http://www.leevalley.com/us/Hardware/page.aspx?p=66892&cat=1,43513,49782&ap=1
Not to complain....but can these be calibrated to only measure down to 1/16”s? I really don’t need to measure in 1/64s or 1/128s, even 1/32 is too precise

I’m back on the road and nowhere near the instructions they came with

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I think really cheap calipers might only show 1/16 or 1/32. Try princess. Or you could go for a mechanical caliper -vernier- with a coarse scale. I have one from the hardware store like that.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I think really cheap calipers might only show 1/16 or 1/32. Try princess. Or you could go for a mechanical caliper -vernier- with a coarse scale. I have one from the hardware store like that.
Are you in Calgary? If you want you could have this one. I don’t use it or need it.

Attachments

• C1903392-836F-4EEF-A0A0-508A31DD16B2.jpeg
    C1903392-836F-4EEF-A0A0-508A31DD16B2.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 1

Crankit

Travers Canada has a PEC brand forged 4-piece combination square set on sale for $196 and a bunch of dial indicators on sale too

......Cheers Wayne

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Some one please point me in the direction of a decent tap and die set. The one I have sucks big time.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Travers Canada has a PEC brand forged 4-piece combination square set on sale for $196 and a bunch of dial indicators on sale too

......Cheers Wayne

Check against KBC & others. I shop Travers occasionally but generally find typically higher priced except when they have a 'great' sale. Another weird thing is you might actually see it on Amazon (fulfilled by Travers) but sometimes better shipping terms/cost if on Prime.

Crankit

Check against KBC & others. I shop Travers occasionally but generally find typically higher priced except when they have a 'great' sale. Another weird thing is you might actually see it on Amazon (fulfilled by Travers) but sometimes better shipping terms/cost if on Prime.

I goofed the price...$260 for the hardened set.....$196 for cast version. KBC wants $306 for hardened set. I got a Starrett setup off Ebay for a decent price and if I was looking again for a set I would definitely look at the PEC brand

John Conroy

Premium Member
Some one please point me in the direction of a decent tap and die set. The one I have sucks big time.

I find that a set is a waste of money as I've only ever used less than half the taps and dies in the Imperial set I've owned for 40 years. I've been collecting metric taps and dies over the years and i just order the common sizes fron KBC Tools. The KBC brand one are usually made by TMX in Poland and very high quality. They come on sale quite often. Don't bother with Irwin or other chain store brand stuff, they are mostly "high carbon steel" and pretty much only good for chasing threads, not making new ones. You only want to buy high speed steel if you want taps that work well. For dies I only buy round dies, the hex shaped ones are only meant for thread chasing.. Screenshot_20190123-034915.png

Last edited:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
822F3590-265B-4594-85C7-D4D3993DDE3A.jpeg E121958E-5E02-44B6-8C3B-699F6696FA98.jpeg
Ok I’ll admit I was questioning the ruler advice. But I think that’s next on the list, I can see how they would help with layout now.

There’s a certain “feel” to get the centre punch IN the scribe line, and not beside it.

But, so much nicer so far. Measure over 2”, use the square to scribe a line, measure where you want it and centre punch it. I still use a regular centre punch after, the first one I only used the Starett automatic punch the drill wandered a bit.

Baby steps